Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is this a legitimate concern about Morris' offense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Is this a legitimate concern about Morris' offense?

May 11, 2014, 8:37 PM

Defense - Total Yards Allowed Per Game

Morris Years
2013 - 384
2012 - 400
2011 - 394

Pre - Morris
2010 - 324
2009 - 325
2008 - 302
2007 - 302
2006 - 281

The defense was giving up an average of 306 yards per game for the 5 years prior to Morris and then the first year of Morris the yards allowed ballooned 92 yards above the average and has maintained that level despite changing defensive coordinators.

Obviously, Morris' offense is productive but the defensive stats show that the offense is obviously a strain on the defense. I'm not proposing any kind of change or anything of the sort and I'm not related to Kevin Steele, but I think these stats show Steele was not as bad as some made him out to be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have to numbers to do the math

May 11, 2014, 8:41 PM

But I'd think the operative stat we should be looking at is yards per possession, or probably more telling would be points per possession.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't have to numbers to do the math

May 11, 2014, 8:59 PM

> But I'd think the operative stat we should be looking
> at is yards per possession, or probably more telling
> would be points per possession.

Or wins and losses

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

WIns and losses are the only thing that matters

May 11, 2014, 9:00 PM

Of course, if you are discussing the performance of offense or defense specifically, that is better described using other statistics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is this a legitimate concern about Morris' offense?

May 11, 2014, 8:43 PM

Pre Morris we were losing music city bowl sane tire bowls

May 11, 2014, 8:44 PM

Well if Clemson is getting 1-2 extra series per game so is the opponent. So it isnt really a big surprise to e. It all depends on what teams do with the extra plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2014, 8:51 PM

Correlation does not imply causation.

True

May 11, 2014, 8:55 PM

But there IS causation in the statement "Each team alternates possessions". As such teams will have the same number (or off by 1 depending on kickoffs), though admittedly TO's on the kickoff can change the official number of possessions.

Re: True

May 11, 2014, 9:00 PM

What was the increase in offensive yards compared to defensive yards?

What were the average per play run and pass given up by the defense.

What were the turnover numbers on defense?

What were the total points on average offense and defense?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

No. Has more to do with quality of DB play & D recruiting

May 11, 2014, 8:53 PM

Defense took a dip but is now slowly rebounding.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd like to see a stat that would compensate for the high tempo impact. Looking at something like pts per possession allowed. We always look at that on the O side but would like to see it from the D's perspective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These same numbers could also suggest that Steele's D and

the kids he recruited to run it weren't panning out all that well for the system. We'll know a lot more about the Morris question after this year - probably impactful but not to the extent that our D numbers look.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2014, 8:56 PM

All that matters...

2013 - 11-2
2012 - 11-2
2011 - 10-4

2010 - 6-7
2009 - 9-5
2008 - 7-6
2007 - 9-4
2006 - 8-5

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2014, 8:56 PM

Kevin Steele was here for Morris's first year.

I still remember the Orange Bowl.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Steele did not adapt

May 11, 2014, 9:08 PM

Sure it stresses your D but all you have to say is Orange bowl! We put 30+ on them and lost. Wins are up period. Losses suck but it has been to good competition.

May 11, 2014, 9:09 PM

It has nothing to do with the fact that the other team gets more possessions....

Good lord are all of you from that pathetic blog site thsi stupid?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Are you being serious?

May 11, 2014, 9:49 PM

I'm thinking wins and losses trump all. In fact, I'm sure it does. Agreed?

May 11, 2014, 10:00 PM

If you are an attorney OP, please do NOT use stats in your arguments as you will lose.

And if you have taken Stats in college, then you are well aware that stats are meant to be bent, modified, shaped, curved, etc to fit whatever argument that is current. Stats mean almost nothing.

In fact, did you know that using a subset of those same stats reveals that CLEMSON was undefeated when it was the 3rd Saturday of the month and the temp was over 60 degrees?

Not really - but it might be true.

it is pretty simple really...if we run more plays...series

May 11, 2014, 10:20 PM

so will they. We simply have to get more stops than they do. Our defense should be more prepared than most for the speed of the game. But the game has evolved and we are one of several teams involved in that. Bama is afraid of teams with our style of play and want to change the rules to stop it. Seems they are more concerned than we should be.

Re: it is pretty simple really...if we run more plays...series

May 11, 2014, 10:39 PM

The biggest problem is that the defense has been inconsistent while the offense has gotten incredibly better, the wins losses comparisons is what really matters but look at gus malzahns offense. Won one champ and played for another at auburn. Our offense is similar and neither year has their defense been great.

Also yards don't always mean points. And you win by scoring more points than your opponents.

Interesting to watch us this year, our O will decline slightly in production while our D could compete for tops in the ACC and the state. Unlikely but this team could surprise. More likely we win 11 games again with losses to FSU and either UGA, SC, possibly Louisville or bowl team

yes and no

May 11, 2014, 10:41 PM

You have to find a DC willing to embrace that system. It determines the way practices are run and the amount of "physical" practice you get at the LOS. Steele hated the HUNH and didn't want to be involved. Venabales is ok working opposite of that system.

As far as the numbers - I think PPP (points per possession) is more critical than total yards. This is truly basketball on grass and PPP is a valuable stat in college BB. Obviously, with more possessions, a team is going to accumulate more yards and even more points. When playign opposite of the HUNH, as a DC, I would be concerned with PPP and turnovers. If we can get stops, either on downs or turnovers, and get the OC more at bats, then we will win way more than we lose.

May 11, 2014, 11:57 PM

Just want to reply to some of the posts....
It's obviously true that wins and losses trump everything so there's that, and we all know there are lies, #### lies and statistics, so there's that as well.

To me, and some posters seem to agree, there will be a negative impact to your defense with the HUNH Morris offense but winning obviously trumps the concern. I look back at those stats and look at what Steele and others did as DC's prior to Morris, and I look at Steele's defensive stats the one year he coached with Morris and I look at the fact BV's defenses have not improved in the yards per game from what Steele did in 2011, and I think it can be argued Steele's poor performance in 2011 had everything to do with the HUNH offense he was paired with. It's difficult to argue otherwise given Steele's previous two seasons as DC and the fact BV has not improved the yards allowed per game.

May 12, 2014, 12:07 AM

Venables hasn't given up 10 tds in any one game. Also , until this past season Venables was coaching Steele's recruits and to an extent still is. Last year our defense was pretty solid , save for the FSU game. I say let us regard this season as BV and his defenses year , see what they can do in his 3rd year. I'm willing to bet those #'s improve substantially .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Steele didn't give up 10 in a game either

May 12, 2014, 8:01 AM

remember - 2 of those came directly off of offensive turnovers. and several others could be attributed directly to our offensive ineptitude.

I wonder how much of that is against 1st string

May 12, 2014, 12:13 AM

Under Morris we've put people away a lot sooner than we have previously.

nah***

May 12, 2014, 8:29 AM

May 12, 2014, 8:37 AM

The defense had gotten bad under Steele two years before Morris took over the offense. Remember not being able to stop Georgia Tech in the 2009 ACC Championship Game?

May 12, 2014, 8:44 AM

Relax. 400 is the new 300. The game has changed. 400 yds offense is pretty common with the new offenses. Everybody is putting up bigger numbers. The spread formation is harder to defend whether you choose to run or pass the ball. Even the great Alabama defenses have trouble stopping it.

May 12, 2014, 8:50 AM

You can't really put to much stock in that...at the end of the day it's the points on the scoreboard that counts. We may give up a few yards, but we are keeping the offenses out of the end zone for the most part.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic