Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is there a team with a spread offense and a graet defense ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Dec 21, 2012, 8:41 PM

I have tried to think of one but I can't. The teams that play the spread usually outscore the other teams. Is it the players you have to recruit to run the offense the problem ? I see spread teams usually have smaller linemen on both sides of the ball. I don't know if it's that or if the Big 12, Pac 12 and the ACC play that way in conference and are not prepared for the SEC type teams in he post season or end of the season match ups. I remember that teams ALWAYS had problems with our Ford lead teams because we were usually bigger. Maybe the old way is coming back and this offense will soon go the way of the run n shoot and the fun and gun. Spurrier seemed to think it was headed this way. I have always thought defense should always be the lead focus of a team. The 5 star play makers are great but without some solid 4 star linemen they won't amount to much. Just thinking out loud....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there a team with a spread offense and a graet defense ?

Dec 21, 2012, 8:48 PM

Florida Gators.

Dec 22, 2012, 1:06 AM

I think when Appalachian State beat Michigan with the spread, this style of offense was at its Zenith.

I think the best offense was the Nebreska wishbone used during the 90's. I remember the QB (Tommy Fraser?) just ran wild all season long and made UF look silly in the NC game.

Florida was not a true spread offense

Dec 22, 2012, 6:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Is there a team with a spread offense and a graet defense ? ]

In the same way that we run it. Actually Auburn and Florida were too so called spread offenses who happen to have benefited by having 2 freak of nature QB's who go 3 , 4 and 5 yards every time they carried the ball..any offensive style will work with those type QB's. Florida was ball control with Tebow slowly and methodically working their way down the field. Our offense is about see how fast we can score which puts tremendous pressure on the D. Yes Florida's defense was good but they didn't spend the whole game on the field either. The type of play we are playing our D is gassed by the 4th qtr and it shows and I really think that goes for your avg spread offense when we or they play a really good defensive team.

Re: Florida was not a true spread offense

Dec 22, 2012, 6:08 AM

Well said! and it showed in our 2 losses!

No team wins big without great players***

Dec 22, 2012, 8:10 AM [ in reply to Florida was not a true spread offense ]

No there is not..

Dec 21, 2012, 9:02 PM

The reason is because of time of possession...scoring quickly or quick drives that don't burn the clock tire out the defense of the spread team. Running no huddle offenses doesn't burn the clock. Throwing the ball 50 times will result in interceptions... None of these things works in the defenses favor. It all just makes the defenses job harder.

The earlier post that said Florida is wrong...they are not running the spread...
Good defensive teams try to control the clock by running the ball, minimize risks by not throwing the ball every down and keep their defense fresh and off the field.
This is why a lot of LSU fans drive me crazy because they don't understand Les' philosophy on how to construct a team and a strategy...
all they want is offensive fireworks...

Re: No there is not..

Dec 21, 2012, 9:10 PM

I personally wish we would go back to smashmouth type of offense. It just seems to work the best. Like you said it keeps the defense fresh. I like watching our offense but I hate to see our D have to work that much harder.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just wait...

Dec 21, 2012, 9:21 PM

I personally think smash mouth is on its way back...
The smart coaches are seeing you can't beat the elite teams with the spread(consistently) and I think the game is slowly trending away from it...
Look at the schools moving toward bigger lineman and RBs (some never left this style):
Bama, LSU, Stanford, Notre Dame, Texas(albeit unsuccessfully),GA, Wisconsin, this is the future trend...

Re: Just wait...

Dec 21, 2012, 9:30 PM

and New England

Dec 21, 2012, 9:31 PM

and Denver

Dec 21, 2012, 9:31 PM

and Green Bay

Dec 21, 2012, 11:06 PM

The OP was obviously talking about college football and no pro team runs a true spread.

Dec 21, 2012, 11:54 PM

The Patriots ran a pretty wide open offense that year they went 18-1. I'm a Pats fan and remember a few games where they had maybe 15 rushing attempts all game. But that's because the Patriots haven't had a good running back since Cory Dillon. But Ridley (LSU product, thank you for him by the way) has proven to be a pretty great back.

i think the poster was talking about the tebow/meyer gators

Dec 21, 2012, 9:17 PM [ in reply to No there is not.. ]

that ran the spread/read option.

does tebow still own the career rushing tds record in the sec?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't try to confuse the corndog with facts***

Dec 21, 2012, 9:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

my bad. they're kinda cute when they get a new toy tho...***

Dec 21, 2012, 10:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like when they first got the internet

Dec 21, 2012, 10:05 PM

2 years ago?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Like when they first got the internet

Dec 21, 2012, 11:13 PM

But you and your moronic buddy, who are so childishly trying to jab me, need to work on your reading comprehension. The OP asks "is" there a team that runs the spread and has a great defense...that means present not in the past.

There are your facts...idiots

i'll play moron...

Dec 21, 2012, 11:27 PM

there are 2 that immediately come to mind, the 2006 and 2008 florida gators coached by urban meyer.

he doesn't say now, in fact he goes on to mention danny ford, the death of the fun n gun, the run n shoot, spurrier changing his spots as i've mentioned numerous times. if he's going to tip his hat to the past, mention the evolution of things, then i will too.

you make the assumption he means now; your mistake, not mine.

btw, the gators were #7 in ttl D in '06, #5 in ttl D in '08.***

Dec 21, 2012, 11:29 PM

***crickets***

Dec 21, 2012, 11:38 PM

Re: btw, the gators were #7 in ttl D in '06, #5 in ttl D in '08.***

Dec 22, 2012, 1:16 AM [ in reply to btw, the gators were #7 in ttl D in '06, #5 in ttl D in '08.*** ]

Their offense in 06 was average at best. The offense in 08 was stellar though.

they played the hardest schedule in the country in 2006,

Dec 22, 2012, 9:07 AM

averaged 30 pts a game and were top 20 in ttl O. not bad for an average offensive team splitting time at qb.

i hear you though, that was year 2 of meyer and tebow's true freshman year. pretty impressive run to win it all in '06 and only get better on both sides of the ball in '08.

Watch it, your butt hurt is showing...

Dec 22, 2012, 12:01 AM [ in reply to i'll play moron... ]

Bottom line, I was answering the OPs question based on my opinion, based on college football today and you "classy" Clemson fans are the ones that started the name calling and insults.
I feel bad that you guys are fans of a team you have to make excuses for that plays in a crap conference. Your team runs the spread and is crappy on D. You guys are not very physical. That is the facts. No reason to get insulting to me when I just imply the truth.
Your team is doing it wrong and they won't beat he big boys until that changes.

slow down, you might trip backing up so quickly.***

Dec 22, 2012, 12:03 AM

So LSU fan on a Clemson site answers with

Dec 22, 2012, 12:16 AM [ in reply to Watch it, your butt hurt is showing... ]

opinions, while Clemson fans on a Clemson site answer with facts, but we're the ones who are butt hurt and we're the idiots? Do I have that right?

Wrong again

Dec 22, 2012, 12:35 AM

Your butthurt showed by insulting me because my opinion cast just the slightest shadow on your delusional view of your team.

I never disputed that tebows' Fla team had a good D or ran the spread...I didn't think talking about the one example you could come up with to make your point was relevant to the discussion especially since the team hasn't been around for 3 yrs.
We could always go back to listing pro teams that are irrelevant if that helps your case...

Let's make a deal here instead of slinging insults...

Dec 22, 2012, 1:01 AM

You show me a place in this thread where I expressed a delusional view of our team and I will admit I was wrong. If you can't find one, then you admit you were wrong. Deal? Good now go and read my posts. Ready...break!

Now you want to stop the insults...

Dec 22, 2012, 7:39 AM

You were the one who started them.
My belief is that you started insulting me because you didn't like my opinion that no spread team has a great D which implies that Clemson doesn't or ever will have a great D since ya'll run the spread.
Your delusion and butt-hurtedness extends from that because you can't prove otherwise except to bring up one team from 3 yrs ago.

So you can't find one and you were wrong?

Dec 22, 2012, 8:41 AM

So how about this...find a post where I specifically disagreed with your assessment. Ready...go!

For the record, I agree with your statement that there really isn't a good defense currently playing with a spread offense. I also agree with your original opinions as to why.

I can't speak for dsp, but me personally, I started the insults because you're an LSU fan on a Clemson board. And since you came here opening yourself up, and we play you all in our bowl, it's reasonable for me to act as I did. If you don't like it, you can go back to Tigerdroppings or wherever you came from.

Also, for the record we are generally pretty welcoming here at tnet as long as you're not a coot. But our experience was your fanbase started coming in and acting like complete dooshbags. Therefore, I choose not to be all that hospitable.

So, I'll cut this off to avoid a longer diatribe here, and to let you go look for posts where I had a delusional view of our team, or a post where I disagreed with you. Happy reading!

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

Your facts are incorrect, you point out that the OP asked

Dec 21, 2012, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Like when they first got the internet ]

about great defenses, when in fact he asked about "graet" defenses.

Your reliance on the accuracy of his entire question seems to be detrimental to your own logic.

Furthermore, it was not the OP who suggested Florida, it was a subsequent post. Therefore, deadsolidperfect attempted to help you out. The subsequent poster who suggested Florida even came back later in the thread and said he was, in fact, referring to previous years of the Florida team as opposed to the current.

Therefore, it seems to me that there is in fact a reading comprehension problem here, but that problem is not on my end.

hth

i find your post should be rather helpful for junior...

Dec 21, 2012, 11:38 PM

if junior slows down a bit, junior will too.

He seems to be quite the intellectual. I am particularly

Dec 21, 2012, 11:41 PM

fond of his approach to message board posting where he demonstrates a fervent dislike for childish jabs, yet ends his post with "idiot."

His hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Re: i think the poster was talking about the tebow/meyer gators

Dec 21, 2012, 10:16 PM [ in reply to i think the poster was talking about the tebow/meyer gators ]

Nope but Johnny football does in the exact same style.

Re: No there is not..

Dec 21, 2012, 9:25 PM [ in reply to No there is not.. ]

I was talking about the Gators under Meyer.

Have to agree with the kid...

Dec 21, 2012, 9:53 PM [ in reply to No there is not.. ]

When Morris came here he said his offense a "the smashmouth spread." That just is not true. He is not patient enough to play smashmouth and we have not recruited the lines to be smashmouth. I certainly cannot deny that our offense sure is fun to watch when it's rolling, but I'm not convinced it is designed to win championships.

Re: Have to agree with the kid...

Dec 21, 2012, 10:20 PM

We have only had two dang years with two different lines. Thats where it starts yall impatient b******s. Offense and defense go hand in hand. We can hurt them, and they can hurt us. We saw both this year. Get over it.

Wrong!

Dec 21, 2012, 10:12 PM [ in reply to No there is not.. ]

Florida did run some spread. Maybe not their MO but they did. Lets not play naive here; the SEC has bigger, faster, and dumber athletes. They line up and pound you! Dare you to argue.

Oregon was pretty good this year on D.***

Dec 21, 2012, 9:19 PM

Morris said he wanted balance - held the ball 7 + mins.

Dec 21, 2012, 9:27 PM

to finish game against NC State. I would like to see more running, play action, and only occasional long pass against LSU. More ball control! For some reason Chad gave up on run against usuc in 2nd half and against fast edge rushers, putting the qb in the pocket is the worst thing. And as a result, the defense was on the field way too long.
GO TIGERS MORE SMASH MOUTH AGAINST LSU!

Re: Morris said he wanted balance - held the ball 7 + mins.

Dec 21, 2012, 9:33 PM

We were out coached in that game too. Total embarrassment. Dabo has got to learn how to beat the coots.

Clemson Soldier

Re: Morris said he wanted balance - held the ball 7 + mins.

Dec 21, 2012, 10:14 PM

Yes, I was trying to implicate Morris and his spread offense in the last 3 quarters of the usuc game of giving up on the run, too much Boyd in pocket, and resultingly leaving the defense on the field too long. I hope and expect that Dabo is helping him realize that is not the way to play against a fast strong defense like LSU! GO TIGERS!

New England Patriots***

Dec 21, 2012, 9:32 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

SF just hung 41 on that great defense***

Dec 22, 2012, 8:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 PM

Problem is a great defense can shut down the spread.Then what do you do when your spread can't score and your defense can't hold?
You have a 1-4 record against your rival (4 in a row).

Wimpie Cootie gets his usual negativity in...

Dec 21, 2012, 10:25 PM

Leftofcenter, when are you going to come out of the closet and admit you are a coot?

Dec 21, 2012, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Is there a team with a spread offense and a graet defense ? ]

Alabama's d is supposed to be great also. Pretty sure A&M won with a spread. Its the trenches. A&M had an All American line.

Dec 22, 2012, 6:54 AM

It's not an "either/or" thing. I hope we have solid lines and RBs couple with our "flah". Kind of a hybrid would be perfect.

By the way- I love how a guest comes here and does nothing but actually talk football, and some unleash the name calling. :| Keep it classy, Tigernet. Way to represent Clemson.

This place used to be a lot like our tailgates

Dec 22, 2012, 7:09 AM

welcoming to opponents and gracious in defeat or victory.

i've been around since '99 cgd, the biggest change i see

Dec 22, 2012, 10:31 AM

is the number of trolls which forced many away. the complaints have been numerous; bmeist recently posted roughly 1800[if memory serves] have made the banned list.

extending your hand to an opponent at a tailgate hopefully never changes, but i'm afraid until something drastic happens, anonymously trolling opponent's boards is here for the foreseeable future.

what i love more is guests telling someone in their house

Dec 22, 2012, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Is there a team with a spread offense and a graet defense ? ]

they are wrong, when clearly they are not.

The earlier post that said Florida is wrong...

there are a lot of ways to go about that conversation; the guest chose poorly.

I agree. I don't come in your house and #### on your rug,

Dec 22, 2012, 10:37 AM

then tell you to clean it up. Effectively, that's what trolls do. I came here to discuss football (and other sports) with a fanbase that is affiliated with my own, not to troll and insult you guys like a 12 year old might do.

2013 Tigers***

Dec 22, 2012, 9:13 AM

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic