Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it safe to say Boise regrets that Blue
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Is it safe to say Boise regrets that Blue

Oct 16, 2016, 12:30 AM

Turf field? Impossible to watch more than five mins at a time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you ever seen a game on Eastern Michigans field

Oct 16, 2016, 12:33 AM

https://youtu.be/ULFDXEOFHq8

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I raise you with Eastern Washington's field

Oct 16, 2016, 1:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have you ever seen a game on Eastern Michigans field

Oct 16, 2016, 2:59 AM [ in reply to Have you ever seen a game on Eastern Michigans field ]

Eastern Michigans field is much easier on the eyes than that horrible blue mess in Boise. JMO ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have you ever seen a game on Eastern Michigans field

Oct 16, 2016, 7:43 AM [ in reply to Have you ever seen a game on Eastern Michigans field ]

They showed a highlight from the eastern Michigan game with the black field and I was wondering why the hell they were showing the highlight in black and white. That is really weird

Re: Is it safe to say Boise regrets that Blue

Oct 16, 2016, 12:43 AM

Could be worse....

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be)

Oct 16, 2016, 2:56 AM

they painted it blue to keep Canadian Geese from landing on the field and eating the grass. That's the story I heard. Whether that's truly the reason or not, I do not know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be)

Oct 16, 2016, 7:33 AM

Well it artificial turf. It's not painted, it's blue plastic. I know geese are quite stupid, but I doubt they are stupid enough to be eating green artificial turf.

It's blue because an AD in the 80s wanted to be different than other schools.

Oct 16, 2016, 9:09 AM

It seems to me when they were really good a while back ESPN reported on the reason for the blue field. The turf manufacturer made a mistake in the amount of blue turf made for end zone and the like and sold it to Boise st at a big discount as their athletic department didn't have a very big budget back then.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 9:15 AM

I'm sure Wikipedia is not the be all, end all of accurate sources, but this is what is written there.

"After 16 seasons of playing on standard green AstroTurf, athletic director Gene Bleymaier came up with the idea to install the blue turf. He decided that, if BSU was going to spend $750,000 on a new surface, he didn't want to see BSU install yet another green field, and that a blue field might provide some national notoriety for the school, then a member of the Big Sky Conference. Bleymaier gained the support of BSU President John Keiser, and on September 13, 1986, Bronco Stadium introduced its unique playing surface to the world with a 74-0 victory over Division II Humboldt State.

BSU replaced the first blue AstroTurf with the same in 1995, then with blue Astroplay (a grass-like synthetic surface that is more forgiving than traditional AstroTurf) in 2002. The AstroPlay field lasted just six seasons and was replaced in the summer of 2008 with blue FieldTurf surface.[23] Due to complaints by fans that the reflection and glare off the field gave the new field a dull and uneven shade of blue, FieldTurf agreed to replace the field free of charge. The fifth blue turf was installed in the summer of 2010."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albertsons_Stadium

Oct 16, 2016, 3:43 AM

You can't find the ball against that background

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 7:46 AM

As often as not, I can't find the Boise team, either!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic