Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Flu cases ..... and deaths.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Flu cases ..... and deaths.......

Apr 12, 2020, 10:54 AM

Has this been brought up. It would certainly seem that with the social distancing and store closings that the number of flu cases would be dramatically down along with deaths. I wonder if you add up all of what would likely be a dramatic reduction of flu deaths with the Covid deaths, how closely would they add up to a normal flu season death rate. The number of cold virus illnesses should be down too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Flu cases ..... and deaths.......

Apr 12, 2020, 11:02 AM

I was wondering that myself.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2020, 11:12 AM

I was thinking that if everyone did their part, and stayed indoors for an entire year, we could completely wipe Influenza and the common cold as well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2020, 11:35 AM

I'm not opposed to that. There really are hard data points on why Oregonians have much less viral illnesses and fewer"flu" deaths than most other states. Other factors contribute too but two things, it's considered more socially taboo to go to work sick, and they've been real progressive at letting peeps work from home.
... Mainly environmental but in c19, it's proven valuable,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wyoming --- still 0 COVID-19 deaths. ZERO***

Apr 12, 2020, 12:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do people still live in Wyoming?***

Apr 12, 2020, 2:47 PM

Re: Do people still live in Wyoming?***

Apr 12, 2020, 3:50 PM

The population is so dispersed over a huge area in Wyoming that unless you live in Cheyenne, odds are you practicing social distancing without even trying.

Wyoming is 3 times larger than SC and has 1/10th the population. The largest city, Cheyenne, has about 1/2 the population of Cootlumbia.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do people still live in Wyoming?***

Apr 12, 2020, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Do people still live in Wyoming?*** ]

I do. The 30 people here say hi.

JK

Where I live is about the size of Clemson, actually. Population density seems really similar. During tourist seasons it feels like when the students are in town and during off season like spring break. Right now, it feels like a ghost town.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wyoming --- still 0 COVID-19 deaths. ZERO***

Apr 13, 2020, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Wyoming --- still 0 COVID-19 deaths. ZERO*** ]

Wyoming is socially distanced without trying.

Is it possible that they're both being counted as one?

Apr 12, 2020, 11:20 AM

IDK

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Apr 12, 2020, 11:27 AM

Oh boy. Pet peeve of mine now. Sure they're down. We will probably never know but imo, here's the catch22 which ticks me off.

You can't get tested for c19 unless you're having some type of symptoms. So stats are showing that about 10% are testing positive... That leaves 90% that test negative, but but wait. If now 600,000 positive which represents 10% then almost 6 million are infected with some type of illness.... Let back into society to roam all over the place and go back to work. That's a heck of a lot of sick a$$ people infecting me with something!!!!

My pet peeves are peeps think they're so important that they have to come to work.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2020, 11:42 AM

I have thought of things like this myself,but unfortunately it's a moot point.
This(COVID 19) is entirely a totally different monster altogether.
From what I have seem,heard read and discussed with others,there is no common bond between Coronavision and the flu.

Apr 12, 2020, 1:28 PM

It has nothing to do with a common bond. IT has to do with people staying home and practicing social distancing. We pick up the cold and flu virus the same way as we do Covid 19, although it may be more contagious. It would make sense that flu and colds would be way down!

Apr 12, 2020, 11:43 AM

that has been mentioned as a nice side effect of the crisis

Apr 12, 2020, 11:57 AM

if people continue with measures begun in earnest now (hand washing, not hand shaking, etc.) we should see a decrease in season flu deaths going forward.

Right now we don't know. A lot of docs have said they had people die with "flu like illness" (ILI technically) before COVID-19 became a thing.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20200114/is-it-flu-or-flu-like-its-miserable-either-way

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that has been mentioned as a nice side effect of the crisis

Apr 12, 2020, 1:40 PM

Thanks for the link. If we are doing what we are supposed to with the social distancing ..... even half of us .... then there is no way the flu rate and deaths will not come down dramatically.

Healthy people are going to get the virus. If not now, later

Apr 12, 2020, 2:12 PM

That's how herd immunity works. And when the shelter in place is lifted, more people are going to catch it. All we are doing is prolonging it. Half the "experts" posting on this bored have probably already had it thinking they had the sniffles and fought it off.

It's not a death sentence to every human it comes into contact with as the media would have you believe. Of course we need to mitigate, but to what end?

Message was edited by: TigerFanX2000®

Message was edited by: TigerFanX2000®

Re: Healthy people are going to get the virus. If not now, later

Apr 12, 2020, 2:50 PM

To the end that those who wouldn't be able to " fight it off " won't die unnecessarily by the willful ignorance or callous irresponsibility of others ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

600000 US babies couldn’t fight off their abortion in 2019.

Apr 12, 2020, 4:37 PM

One difference here is the demographic at highest risk also holds the power to shut everything down to protect themselves. I believe their own internal fear has been at least a partial motivator. A frantic set of statistics that were calculated with a high margin of uncertainty were another. Of course, it is not all nefarious and self-serving; keeping the public safe is their job. Be well, everyone!

Apr 13, 2020, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Healthy people are going to get the virus. If not now, later ]

Excellent post Dug! This is what I don't quite understand and it is quite scary. This virus started by one person (I am assuming, but think it is right) contracting the virus. How they got is is not important for this discussion. From that one person, it has spread globally, infecting hundreds of thousands. Once we get it under control (or think we do), certainly there will be at least one or probably thousands that still have it, maybe not showing symptoms. Why could this not start all over again? Are we going to have to wait until a vaccine is developed before we can get back to normal?

No doomsday here, as I am optimistic, but some questions have to be answered. Do we quarantine older people in poor health and let it run its course? Lots of questions. I think I know the answer, but why as much as 18 months before a vaccine can be developed? I know testing takes a while, but it seems like much of the red tape can be waived and it can be expedited. Once a certain lab develops the vaccine can't they be rewarded handsomely by the government and the vaccine then become a "nationalized" so that every lab can produce it?

Apr 13, 2020, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Healthy people are going to get the virus. If not now, later ]

Runny nose isn't a symptom

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic