Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it easy or complicated?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 441

Is it easy or complicated?

Jun 17, 2020, 2:30 PM

I posted this below in an older thread, but worth discussion.

I have a white friend who has an adopted black son.

Two nights ago his white nephew (covered in tattoos and piercings) and his black son were sitting in a parking lot across the street from the police station for the nephew to meet his baby mama to pay child support.

Before you know it, 6 cops are on the scene.

So the question for everybody is "what would you do?"

Were the cops wrong to even investigate? What would you think if you saw the pair I described above sitting in a parked car?

---- The actually outcome was fine. The first cop on the scene was a jerk. The rest of the cops were cool and apologized and explained that emotions are high in the current climtae.

But, while offended, the nephew was cooperative. How would it been if he had decided to be a jerk?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

about 2 yrs ago, i saw almost the same situation

Jun 17, 2020, 2:34 PM

on 2 white people.
They were very hippish. Dreads, dog, sitting in Wawa. THey had been begging hours before but we're sitting in their car at the time. Not sure how they did a search but found drugs in car. 3 more cop cars ensued.

But they got confronted just sitting in their car for a while

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my point is

Jun 17, 2020, 2:38 PM

not every cop stop or arrest is race related b/c its happening to a black.
Some may very well be. But just cause something happens to you doesn't mean its racist.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You guys have Wawas down there?

Jun 17, 2020, 2:44 PM [ in reply to about 2 yrs ago, i saw almost the same situation ]

Can you get a pork roll, egg, and cheese on a kaiser bun? All of a sudden I feel like some kinda colonizer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hell to the yeah. Love their subs and club sandwiches

Jun 17, 2020, 2:45 PM

oh and their smoothies rock. I eat there at least once a week

Has personally happened to me more than once

Jun 17, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to about 2 yrs ago, i saw almost the same situation ]

But anecdotes don't prove anything. I'd imagine I might've thought it had to do with race were I not white, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd think a parking lot across from a police station would

Jun 17, 2020, 2:38 PM

be the least likely place a crime would be committed.

What is suspicious or possibly criminal about two dudes sitting in a car? Also if I saw a white dude covered in tattoos I'd assume he's a bartender or a Pete Davidson. Tattoos aren't just for bikers and ex-cons anymore.

your first point is exactly why they chose to meet there...

Jun 17, 2020, 2:40 PM

for the exchange

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is complicated. Non-threatening investigation

Jun 17, 2020, 2:53 PM

is OK. Takes proper training.

Why would an investigation be necessary, though?

Jun 17, 2020, 3:04 PM

People parking in a parking lot is the explicit purpose of a parking lot. At least with the details provided, I don't see anything remotely suspicious that would necessitate a police investigation, non-threatening or otherwise.

During Business hours not warranted. At odd hours ...

Jun 17, 2020, 3:36 PM

a simple inquiry is OK IMO.

And this was a post office after business hours***

Jun 17, 2020, 3:37 PM

One detail...

Jun 17, 2020, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Why would an investigation be necessary, though? ]

They were parked across the street facing the police station.

This goes back to the idea of whether we want to actually prevent crimes or have the cops come in after the crime has been committed.

In our current unrest, is it possible for some trouble makers to stake out a police office?

I have no problem a cop asking me what I’m doing if he sees me acting suspiciously, even if I don’t see it as suspicious. I may feel differently if I was black. I don’t know.

I’m not sure why asking questions is an infringement on my freedom.

You're not sure why asking questions is an infringement on

Jun 17, 2020, 4:21 PM

your freedoms or you're not sure why police asking you questions is an infringement on your freedom? If it's the latter, I'd go with the 4th amendment.

It might be reasonable if there were a trend of people staking out police stations to ambush them or if the car matched the description of a suspect they were looking for, but simply parking in a parking lot and sitting in your car doesn't rise to the level of suspicious and potentially criminal behavior.

1 cop asking if everything okay sounds fine

Jun 17, 2020, 4:44 PM [ in reply to One detail... ]

I'd get pissed/nervous/scared/angry real fast if 6 rolled up at once.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What would I do had I been the kid, the nephew or the cop?

Jun 17, 2020, 3:16 PM

The kids did the right thing and so did the cops, imo.

Many people in authority are askholes. It happens in almost all disciplines. You work beside someone for five years, have beers after work and swap wives and everything.

Then your pal make foreman and turns into Karen. Government jobs are worse than commercial jobs. The DMV, health department and most other 'officials,' are askholes. Most cops are askhole because it's the first time in their lives they've felt the other side of authority.

It's just life. I tried to teach my kids that the cops were their best friends as long as the kids stay on the right side of the law. If you haven't done anything wrong you have nothing to get upset about except your time wasted. If you've broken a law or statute your about to get woke when the cops show up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was in high school there was a two week period where

Jun 17, 2020, 4:33 PM

I was pulled over ten times by cops. Ten times in fourteen days. Never given a ticket. I was a punk kid with a backwards hat driving late at night in a car with stickers on it. Several times the cops wanted to search my car and I was like go for it because I knew it was clean. I thought it was fun to watch them waste their time since they were wasting mine. After all, I hadn't done anything wrong so I had nothing to hide. That all ended when a cop finished searching my car began searching me physically – he groped something that should only be examined by urologists and fondled by women with low standards.

I don't have kids, but I think if I did I'd make them very aware of their rights and I would not tell them that doing nothing wrong means you have nothing to worry about.

Message was edited by: Murcielago®

Re: Is it easy or complicated?

Jun 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

You're best to be courteous and cooperative (either party). when I talk to a cop on say speeding I am always respectful but stick to facts. I got a warning years ago on a two lane road. I turned right to get the officer out of traffic and he commented he appreciated it.
A year ago my radiator hose started splitting. I was driving home and got stopped in my subdivision at night. I explained the situation and kept my hands in full view. I'm a nonthreatening white guy in my 60's but the officer doesnt know me or what I'm up to. I keep hands in view and dont make sudden move or talk back. I've had a couple warnings result from a cooperative nonthreatening attitude. If something worse were to come I'd just do bail and not make a fuss. when stopped is not the time to escalate it because it goes worse for you if you do.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 441
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic