Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question: Had a friends mom that passed away last year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 398

Question: Had a friends mom that passed away last year

Nov 28, 2018, 8:43 AM

And he’s been getting harassed by a debt collector for a $2500 credit card balance that she had. How come it isn’t possible to take all the social security that she’s paid into and will never see..... That nobody outside of DC will ever see and use that to pay off these little debts that are a burden to kids in their mid 20’s?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question: Had a friends mom that passed away last year

Nov 28, 2018, 8:47 AM

I'd say fugg'em.

They don't have any collateral on the debt. I'm not sure if that can be reported to the bureaus if it's not his debt.

A lot of times I've heard that all they can do is call and harrass you.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, don't take my advice

Nov 28, 2018, 8:50 AM

because I have no idea what i'm talking about

That’s the advice I gave him.

Nov 28, 2018, 8:59 AM

I’ll tell him the lunge agrees and to not waste money on a lawyer. We know best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought debt cannot be inherited?

Nov 28, 2018, 8:51 AM

Maybe something to do with he inherited her (small) fortune so he is liable for that debt now since there is no collateral? As long as he wasn't a dumbarse and put his name on the credit card he should be fine.

https://www.debt.org/advice/inheriting/

Man, I sure as hell hope debt cannot be inherited,

Nov 28, 2018, 8:58 AM

no telling what sort of time bomb my mother would be sitting on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is correct.

Nov 28, 2018, 9:47 AM [ in reply to I thought debt cannot be inherited? ]

If the credit card company didn't get it from the estate during probate, then they are pretty much SOL. They are harassing your friend because they think they can get something from him. Tel him, to tell them to STOP, or he'll contact a lawyer and the police.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like a Tiggity question

Nov 28, 2018, 8:58 AM

but I thought that’s what probate was for to insure all claims against the estate were settled. If it’s gone through probate then f em,

Isn’t that the old Blackstreet song?***

Nov 28, 2018, 9:00 AM

Re: Sounds like a Tiggity question

Nov 28, 2018, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Sounds like a Tiggity question ]

I too am curious. The in-laws are aging rapidly and spending rapidly.

Tiggity®

Nopt too experienced in this specific area***

Nov 28, 2018, 9:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This becomes a debt of the Estate, not his.

Nov 28, 2018, 9:15 AM

The estate is responsible, assuming funds are available. Otherwise tell them tough bananas.

It may take a while. After my mother died and the Estate was closed I got calls from the Carolinas Medical Center for 18 months, despite my telling them too bad.

The key is to post a notice in a local paper asking for all debts be submitted by x date, or the estate will be closed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Is he the executor of the estate?

Nov 28, 2018, 9:16 AM

Debt can't be inherited but I believe (emphasis believe, not a lawyer :) ) the assets from the estate are used to satisfy debt from the grandmother and den leftover money goes to the beneficiaries.

Credit card debt is unsecured butt I believe they can file a claim against the estate for it. They might not if it's only $2500 since the collection agency likely paid pennies for the debt from the card company and are hoping for a quick payment.

Replies: 12
| visibility 398
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic