Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is There Different Rule For Spotting Ball Within 1 Yd Line?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 51

Is There Different Rule For Spotting Ball Within 1 Yd Line?

Jan 1, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quick question for some of you know that the rulebook inside out...

Is there a different set of rules for the officials spotting the ball inside the 1 yard line? Or some other reason why if a guy comes literally inches short of the white, they seem to spot it for the next play on the 1 yard line or not much inside it all?

Or is this just refs being idiots?

Just asking since I'm watching LSU/UCF game and they just had that TD run that wasn't reviewed where he barely missed the goal line if at all and I've always wondered about this in the past as well.

It seems like once they spot it on the 1 (even if a guy was just a half inch short), they will spot it closer and closer to the goal line on subsequent plays if they continue to run into the pile and move it forward a bit. But always wondered why they move it so far back initially...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is There Different Rule For Spotting Ball Within 1 Yd Line?

Jan 1, 2019, 1:23 PM

Excellent point. I've noticed that too. Refs' rules.

Jan 1, 2019, 1:30 PM

I noticed that in one of the bowls yesterday. The ball was clearly inches from the goal line, but when they looked at it on the replay, they placed it back at the one yard line. I have noticed this most of the time.

Jan 1, 2019, 1:44 PM

Cool, didn't know if I was just crazy or uninformed on how it works but it's always bothered me.

It's almost like they want to add some kind of difficulty because placing it just inches off the goal line would be 'too easy' for the team on offense to just do a QB sneak and score every time but uhh...if there's no specific rule requiring them to do it then that's BS since I've seen a lot of teams end up not getting a TD before from situations just like we're talking about whereas 1 inch out they could have obviously easily just snapped it and held it out to score.

The only other thing I could think of was there being some kind of minimum distance from the goal line required for them to establish the neutral zone or something but if that is the case then it wouldn't make any sense to gradually creep it forward on subsequent plays.

The dumb thing is because of this fact, there's not much incentive not to just commit a foul every play to prevent a team from scoring a TD (so long as it's not an auto 1st down foul) once a team is at the 1 yard line.

Which leads me to another gripe...always noticed that 'half the distance to the goal line' penalties almost never seem to truly be half the distance to the goal line, especially at the 1 yard line.

Replies: 3
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic