Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting read on student debt:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 559

Interesting read on student debt:

Sep 24, 2019, 10:19 AM

Why the Student Loan 'Crisis' Isn’t Actually a Crisis

By Zilvinas Silenas
September 20, 2019

As summer gives way to autumn, millions of young Americans participate in an annual rite: back-to-school. This includes the more than two million freshmen who are entering university for the first time—many with help from student loans.

When people borrow money to purchase new cars, does anyone call it a “car crisis”? No. Purchases of new cars, most of which are made via a personal or auto loan, are treated as a sign of economic strength and consumer optimism.
Yet purchases of education via loans are being called a “crisis.” This is strange. After all, education is an investment that generates higher future earnings, whereas cars rapidly depreciate in value.
Sure, $1.6 trillion, the estimate for student debt, is a lot of money. But Americans owe more than $1.2 trillion for car loans. If it is the sheer amount of money that warrants the title “crisis,” then the housing loan debt, which exceeds $10 trillion, should be called a “catastrophe.”
Do some students take on too much debt and overestimate their ability to repay? Of course. But on average, those with college diplomas make nearly double those with high school diplomas. During their working life, people with degrees earn on average about $1 million more than those without. Even when taking into account the cost of US college, earnings foregone while in college, and discounting future earnings at 2 percent, the benefit is $500,000 for men and $300,0000 for women.
Is tertiary education in the US so exclusive that most cannot attend college? Hardly. Data from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) show that nearly half of Americans in the 25-34 age range have tertiary education. This is slightly more than Sweden and significantly more than France (40 percent) or Germany (33 percent). In fact, per capita, America has more tertiary education than any country in Europe, except for Luxembourg, Ireland, the UK, and Lithuania.
Perhaps the quality of education is subpar? Wrong again. US universities are the best in the world, according to most global rankings, and the preferred destination for the world’s most talented students, evidenced by the $35 billion export surplus in education services. Unlike with American cars, global consumers really do think American universities are the best.
There are individual crises, of course. The art student who owes $90,000 for his two-year degree. The borrower who owes $500,000 for degrees in acupuncture and naturopathic medicine. For any individual taking out hundreds of thousands in debt and settling into low wage work after graduation, the situation is a personal crisis.
Such individual scenarios are bound to happen. Some businesses fail, and some investments in education don’t pay off. Some individuals miscalculate when choosing a degree. Some will graduate with few skills and not increase their earnings. Some students will quit.
Some politicians are suggesting that we should forgive all or a significant portion of Americans’ student loans. But ask yourself: if taxpayers are forced to pay for college or college debts of others, will that increase or reduce the percentage of baristas with bachelor's degrees?
Blanket policy solutions like “cancel student debt” aren’t just costly, they’re also poorly targeted because people who accumulate student debt tend to have more education and, hence, more earning power. For most students, borrowing for college still produces a positive economic return over their lifetimes.
While student loan default rates are higher than average, the fact remains that nearly 90 percent of student loans are not delinquent. As a policy, student loan cancellation aligns poorly with calls for social justice or reducing income inequality.
The much-hyped calls for student debt cancellation exploit the legitimately sad stories of some individuals, to push through policies that are costly, wide-reaching, and would encourage even more bad decisions by individuals—more baristas with expensive degrees.
The person with $90,000 two-year art degree and no job is experiencing an unfortunate personal crisis. We should avoid making it a national one.

Zilvinas Silenas is the president of the Foundation for Economic Education.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No white space, old eyes can't handle it.***

Sep 24, 2019, 10:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know for my loans personally

Sep 24, 2019, 10:32 AM

when I first got them they were 2-3% interest each. Which I was quickly paying off. Then all of a sudden they jumped to 6-8% each (thanks Obama).

Then the teacher forgiveness program that many teachers were relying on (pay off 5K or less of student loans after 5 years in a low income school) pretty much came out as a scam. I am now in my 8th year teaching, all in low income schools, and apply for the forgiveness every few months. They went from excuse after excuse of why they wouldn't to now they just don't even respond.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Problem is

Sep 24, 2019, 4:27 PM

You went to a for-profit school, right?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Imagine that....politicians creating a crisis

Sep 24, 2019, 10:41 AM

that doesnt exsist. Just crazy I tell you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe try...

Sep 24, 2019, 11:18 AM

Actually doing a little research on it instead of taking one random dude's opinion (with poor research) at face value.

Don't even believe me, for that matter. Just research it yourself.

The student loan issue has very little to do with politics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I’ve read quite a bit on the topic. It’s bothered me for a

Sep 24, 2019, 12:16 PM

While, and that’s only intensified as my kids near college age.

The lion’s share of the issue began with the Obama administration nationalizing the student loan industry via ending guaranteed loans from private lenders.

Greedy universities and colleges, seeing an opportunity, decided to capitaize on the ability of every.single.student (and their parents) to now borrow ridiculous amounts of money, and decided to test the price elasticity of a college education.

No one pushed back (until almost a decade later) and tuitions skyrocketed. For many of us though, we’ve wondered all along why Clemson has needed to be on a building spree for the past 15 years with the latest outrage being on campus housing with a pool. It’s outrageous though.

So yes, there are multiple people to blame here, but like so many problems it began with a single well-intentioned move by a politician with disastrous unintended (I hope anyway) consequences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with some of that, but working in the biz, Direct

Sep 24, 2019, 3:52 PM

Lending through the govt. was a Godsend. Yearly reconciliation is much easier now and customer service is a whole lot better, believe it or not.

What caused part of the issue was upping the yearly max you could borrow. Grade level 1 from $6625 to $9500, Grade level 2 from $7500 to $10,500, Grade levels 3 and 4 from $10,500 tp $12,500. And max for all 4 years from $46,000 to $57,500. Undergrad only. Max for UG, Grad, and doctorate is $118,500. Still, students could always borrow ridiculous amounts even with private banks.

You nailed it though when you mentioned parent borrowing (the PLUS Loan Program). Banks used to check credit history really close, but it’s much easier now for parents to be approved. It’s not guaranteed like loans for students though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good info—gracias***

Sep 24, 2019, 7:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’ve read quite a bit on the topic. It’s bothered me for a

Sep 24, 2019, 5:01 PM [ in reply to I’ve read quite a bit on the topic. It’s bothered me for a ]

Yep, pretty much covered it. The privatization in the 90s didn't help, either. What used to be a good system got corrupted by greedy folks in the private sector and incompetent people in the public, followed by university admins who found it was a great way to get new vacation homes.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: I’ve read quite a bit on the topic. It’s bothered me for a

Sep 24, 2019, 7:28 PM [ in reply to I’ve read quite a bit on the topic. It’s bothered me for a ]

Obed said:

While, and that’s only intensified as my kids near college age.

The lion’s share of the issue began with the Obama administration nationalizing the student loan industry via ending guaranteed loans from private lenders.

Greedy universities and colleges, seeing an opportunity, decided to capitaize on the ability of every.single.student (and their parents) to now borrow ridiculous amounts of money, and decided to test the price elasticity of a college education.

No one pushed back (until almost a decade later) and tuitions skyrocketed. For many of us though, we’ve wondered all along why Clemson has needed to be on a building spree for the past 15 years with the latest outrage being on campus housing with a pool. It’s outrageous though.

So yes, there are multiple people to blame here, but like so many problems it began with a single well-intentioned move by a politician with disastrous unintended (I hope anyway) consequences.

Which again is why I'm a fiscal conservative...and a huge proponent of engaging only tried-and-proven and crash-tested solutions, because the last thing you want to do is experiment at the national level in a misguided attempt to "help" people...that old Law of Unintended Consequences tends to raise its head and you have another welfare crisis or mass urban blight because of rent control...the list goes on. And on. And on.

I lucked out because my kid's a stud athlete and got the full ride. Not everybody is so lucky. My son's best friend is now a freshman at Clemson...and he was already more than $20K in debt before he ever set foot on campus.

It's insane.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This guy falls into the same old conjecture and bad data

Sep 24, 2019, 10:58 AM

The old "Well, you shouldn't get a worthless degree for all that money!"

Of course you shouldn't. But that's not what's happening in most of the cases. College costs are rising every year, student loans are intentionally designed to be predatory, and the job market can't match that rise with salaries.

Somewhere in the last 20 or so years, university admins realized they could keep jacking up tuition and fees so they could give themselves higher salaries. Clemson figured this out and is now well above the national average. They raise tuition every year. And since Dirt ###### U copies anything we do, they've followed suit.

While student loan default rates are higher than average, the fact remains that nearly 90 percent of student loans are not delinquent. As a policy, student loan cancellation aligns poorly with calls for social justice or reducing income inequality.

This is a great example of lies, #### lies, and statistics coupled with a piece of conjecture at the end. That delinquency adds up to $1.5 trillion. That's triple of the last decade. Even worse, delinquency is expected to grow and hit 40 percent by 2023, per the article below. And all this is getting worse even as wages increase and unemployment shrinks. What happens if we hit another recession?

So sure, if he wants to just say, "But it's only 10 percent!", I guess that looks nice. Until you actually add up what that 10 percent is.

It's gotten worse. It's getting worse. It's a crisis.

No, cancelling student debt isn't the answer. Holding universities, particularly public ones, accountable for exuberant administrator salaries at the price of raised tuition, is the answer.

It is a crisis, and this author is whistling Dixie.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-looming-student-loan-default-crisis-is-worse-than-we-thought/

Can you elaborate on this?

Sep 25, 2019, 12:58 PM

“student loans are intentionally designed to be predatory,”

null

Re: Interesting read on student debt:

Sep 24, 2019, 11:04 AM

The author clearly understands how student loans work, so the article is intentionally misleading.

When you buy a car, you hold a thing of value that you can liquidate to pay down or pay off the loan.

When your car payment is $365/mo. and you apply for a mortgage, the mortgage company reports that you pay $365/mo toward a debt. With the same $365/mo student loan payment, the bank may be forced to account for the $1,500/mo payment it could balloon to if your annual payment plan isn't renewed by your loan servicer. That can make the mortgage impossible to complete. It happens every day.

It is a major problem that is slowing down our economy.

Victim mentality is tough

Sep 24, 2019, 11:07 AM

they sign on the line to take the loan. by law all of the details on APR are there and are known. you are taking the risk, just like with any other loan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Victim mentality is tough

Sep 24, 2019, 1:51 PM

When did the rest of the people in the American economy who are being affected sign on the dotted line?

This hack

Sep 24, 2019, 11:22 AM

He completely avoids the actual subject with an out of context figure and a pathetic attempted jab at liberals. By looking at delta expected earnings, he ignores the fact that you're going to be hard pressed to find a living wage without a college degree and there aren't really free market alternatives to higher education. A better comparison is to look at cost of a four year degree vs. expected income over time (adjusted for inflation). It's like rent seeking just to earn a decent living.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just wait when it is 'free'

Sep 24, 2019, 2:22 PM

if schools had to compete for students (no gubmint loans), costs would drop substantially

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just curious on that graph...does it account for

Sep 24, 2019, 5:08 PM [ in reply to This hack ]

the direct allocation of state scholarships to students?

I know the cut of Clemson’s budget that comes from the state has gone down considerably in favor of state scholarships to in state students.

null

Replies: 18
| visibility 559
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic