Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting read on "The Bag Man"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 6,304

Interesting read on "The Bag Man"

May 28, 2017, 2:24 AM

So my buddy and I were discussing the topic of recruits getting paid tonight. Ended up doing a little reading around the internets afterword because I was still curious. I found this article pretty interesting, few years old, but thought I'd share with you guys (&gals).

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting read on "The Bag Man"

May 28, 2017, 7:09 AM

I really want to say something but I'm just gonna keep quiet on this one.

May 28, 2017, 7:52 AM

Spit it out, as we all know that is the eventual plan anyway. It's a message board for Pete's sake, not a court of law.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2017, 10:06 AM

Story written by an Old Miss grad, he should know.

May 28, 2017, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting read on "The Bag Man" ]

Two words....

"Summer jobs"

May 28, 2017, 5:01 PM

I don't understand what you mean by "summer jobs" Forever Clemson

May 28, 2017, 9:40 PM

They all have ????Summer jobs???

May 28, 2017, 7:49 AM

Always wondered why the Rock Hill area was never a Clemson area. Now I know why.

May 28, 2017, 8:24 AM

A certain realtor in RH (my hometown) was well known for SS "lawn care jobs" and when the NCAA came calling at Usuck and the loss of recruits became a result when OBC and his staff got caught and the program was flatly told either stop or go on probation again.

The Usuck staff also saw Lawing leave after a nasty divorce and these circumstances killed the pipeline. The outcome became apparent quickly.

Go Tigers

Don't buy the Lawing leaving because of divorce excuse.

May 28, 2017, 8:32 AM

That's a Coot Myth. There's a lot of things you can say about Ole Slurrier ,but cheating isn't one of em. When it finally dawned on him what Lawing and the boosters were doing,he sent Lawing packing. Of course without out Lawing and $50 a MONTH motel rooms,recruiting went off a cliff for them. Now they like to pretend that Slurrier just quit recruiting,when it took a dive with their Bagman coach getting fired. Funny though, at their biggest time in spreading the $$$$ around,they still couldn't buy out of state superstars.LOL

PS,I almost forgot about Ellis "never met a recruit that he couldn't get their parent a $30 an hour no show job" Johnson.

I've heard Dabo is also very much against this

May 28, 2017, 10:08 AM

Activity. To the point we sometimes lose interest in a recruit because he wants finds. I've also heard if there's something going on that gets swept under the rug, our coaching staff will also stop pursuing a kid.

May 28, 2017, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting read on "The Bag Man" ]

The SEC is the most corrupt conference in the nation. Number 2 is not even close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A certain Rock Hill area car dealer was the biggest sponsor

May 28, 2017, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting read on "The Bag Man" ]

in the area for the coots. He used to hire ex Coots for commercials as well. He got busted for fraud and had to sell his dealership. It is now just Toyota of Rock Hill but he still owns a Nissan dealership.

Buying a car form him is akin to donating to the recruiting slush fund.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

May 28, 2017, 10:07 AM

This whole story sounds like someone in a bar trying to sound important. Someone who knows what no one else knows. Don't doubt that some recruits get money to go to a certain school. But if this was as widespread as this story portrays we would have players coming out of the woodwork when the money dried up. Why would a true bag man risk telling anyone especially a reporter! My opinion Bull$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!

May 28, 2017, 10:27 AM

It's hard to know the truth here but some of the details might explain our mysteries in why we aren't recruiting certain players. Dabo is good enough a recruiter to overcome the cheaters. It also might explain why basketball recruiting is so poor. Brownell is a honest man but he's not the salesman that can overcome cheating by others.

May 28, 2017, 1:14 PM

I wonder how many of these guys are knocking on Zamir's door lately with his commitment less than a month away

May 28, 2017, 1:32 PM

Georgia and Ohio State are two he's looking at hard. We know that Georgia is a cheater.

May 28, 2017, 1:37 PM

Carolinas former bagman Brad Lawing is a coach at FSU. Free Shoes University added another cheater.

May 28, 2017, 5:45 PM

That dude something-Domino is supposedly the big one at FSU, kind of a politician-businessman-wheeler-dealer. His thing is apparently 5-star RB's, and pretty persistent rumor has it he's accumulated quite a list dating at least as far back as Greg Jones. Butch Davis - and later, Larry Fedora - were apparently dirty as sin at UNC but that seems to have got dialed way back with the NCAA living at the school these days. Miami's always had plenty of freewheeling boosters, at least when the coach was interested. Again, Butch Davis had the Canes all but rebuilt courtesy of resurrecting their old booster network, one of the many things that got him red-flagged by the NCAA...one reason why Davis is basically unemployable these days; he's joined the ranks of the radioactive much like Hal Mumme and Art Briles (and probably soon to be joined by Hugh Freeze.)

It ain't just the SEC, unfortunately, but they are by a bunch the biggest perpetrators.

May 28, 2017, 9:32 PM

One of my clients got nailed a number of years ago by giving an Auburn defensive back as summer job at his business. I don't think a whole lot of work was required. It wound up getting Auburn a year or two of probation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 6,304
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic