Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting read about potential money to be made by
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Interesting read about potential money to be made by

May 23, 2012, 9:10 AM

switching to Big 12.

Clay, break down the dollars on Florida State, why could it make the Seminoles a lot more money to be in the Big 12. I just don't see the money changing much especially in relation to how much the $20 million buyout will cost.

Okay, here goes.

1. The ten team Big 12 is expected to make at least $20 million per school in its next TV deal. Assume that, at minimum, any additions to the conference will get at least $20 million each. That's at least $3 million a year more than FSU is making from TV in the ACC. But the reality is Florida State -- and Miami or Clemson -- is worth much more because it creates the second best conference in football. So assume that each school would get something more, probably around $22 million each.

That's five million more a year from television.

2. The Big 12 title game is probably worth at least $15 million to the conference, or a bit more than a million per school.

That's six million more a year total.

And that's being conservative.

With Jerry Jones bidding who knows what a Big 12 title game in Dallas could be worth.

3. Regaining its tier three games Florida State could form its own network and probably net around $5 million more a year.

If the Seminoles aren't sure whether they have the drawing power for a network on their own, they could combine with Miami and form their own station that covers both teams and carries athletics across the state.

That could potentially be worth much more than $5 million a year.

Just from these three steps you're talking about $11 million more a year.

Again, conservatively.

But here's the kicker that no one is talking about:

4. The redistributed playoff share will be much more substantial for Florida State in the Big 12.

Assume that the ACC would rarely have a team qualify for the playoff. And if it did qualify that money would be split 14 ways. Now assume that the Big 12 with Florida State -- and Miami or Clemson -- along with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas would qualify just about every year. Plus, and this is key, that the Big 12 would have a good chance of occasionally getting two teams.

That money would then be split just 12 ways.

We're talking about tremendous amounts of playoff money.

At a bare minimum a playoff will sell for $500 million a year.

Right now payouts for teams advancing to a BCS bowl are around $18 million.

Plan on that at least doubling to $36 million per team. (The real battle will be over how much a second team gets. Right now that's capped at a lower figure. Let's assume that's half.)

So advancing two teams to the playoff could end up worth around a bare minimum of $54 million to a conference. Divided twelve ways that's an additional $3-$5 million a year in playoff money.

At minimum.

It could be much higher than that.

So you're talking about $15 million more a year for Florida State in the Big 12. (If you think this projection is too optimistic, I don't, you may, lop off $5 million. That's still a big increase).

Suddenly that exit fee doesn't seem like such a big deal, does it?

In light of the SEC -- Big 12 alliance today and these numbers above, I really think FSU is

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

regarding number 3 .... I thought the Sunshine Network

May 23, 2012, 9:16 AM

already did this?? LOL

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe a true Football Playoff...

May 23, 2012, 9:25 AM

Would generate MUCH more revenue... eight team playoff minimal, sixteen team ideally, the "March Madness" of College Football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting read about potential money to be made by

May 23, 2012, 9:26 AM

The one thing I don't hear anyone mention is the Big10 money is spread between 10 teams right now. If you were to take that 20 million figure per team it would change if there were 12 teams like the SEC.or even the ACC. They would go from making 20 million ea. to 16 million ea.That is how I would compare apples to apples.Where am I going wrong?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but you have to subtract the additional money

May 23, 2012, 9:31 AM

for travel. I believe The FSU president estimated that at 8 to 10 million. So optimistically you are 5 million to the good. Pessimistically you are about even and have no incentive to move. The math here is not as clear cut as some would have us believe. That is my biggest concern. How do we compete with the SEC. If going to the Big 12 does not level the playing field, how can it be done? It will have to happen some way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic