Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting perspective
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Interesting perspective

Mar 26, 2018, 10:54 AM

from (dookie) Wendell Carter Jr's mom - who wanted her son to go to Harvard - on the 'one-and-done' rule:

“If you look at the pros and the cons, college basketball is a big con,” she said.

“From a business perspective, college is 100 percent risk and it’s 100 percent negative to your business objective. It’s not putting you in any better position for achieving your business objective, which is reaching the NBA.”

This runs counter to the party line that coaches and college officials recite, saying that being under the guidance of great coaches can only enhance a player’s status.

“It could make you better at the risk exposing you,” Carter said. “Think about it from a business perspective: If you are in high school, projected to go 1 to 14 in the lottery, why risk that positioning by going to college and getting exposed, even if there is an opportunity that you can possibly get better? Why?

“It’s a big con,” she repeated. “Let the NCAA deal with those second-tier players and build their empire off them; let the one-and-dones go and build their empires with their skill set.”

She added: “If I have the option of going straight to the pros and missing college, I go straight to the pros.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/duke-wendell-carter-jr-one-and-done-is-right-move/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting perspective

Mar 26, 2018, 11:18 AM

This is completely true. There is no plus side for players in the one and done rule.

NBA gets an opportunity to watch players at zero cost to them

NBA PA gets to shield veterans by limiting 18 year olds on rosters

NCAA gets star power in the league

Players are forced to play for 6 months and hope for no injury or drop off while getting minimal credit or hope of a degree. At least at 3 seasons they can complete a degree or be close.

null

No one is forcing anyone to play NCAA ball

Mar 26, 2018, 12:28 PM

Sit out a year. Play in exhibition teams. Go overseas. There's not a single thing forcing anyone to play in the NCAA.

Also, the NCAA does not have one-and-done rule. The NCAA can't prevent kids from quitting after 1 year.

It's the NBA and the NBAPA which has their rules prohibiting high-schoolers from getting drafted.

Playing NCAA ball is an attractive way to bide time until the NBA will consider you, but there's not a single thing making anyone play a one-and-done year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No one is forcing anyone to play NCAA ball

Mar 26, 2018, 1:59 PM

Yeah, the NBA made the rule so their teams didn't take as big of a risk on not truly knowing and the older players had more job security. I believe it is a players rule first but it also benefits the front offices to a degree.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2018, 11:21 AM

Those years in college are wasted years and nothing good will ever become of being a college student! Me thinks this lady is a bit on the selfish side. I hope her son makes it big in the NBA.... for her sake. Not his! That one year at Harvard would have done wonders for him too!

Mar 26, 2018, 11:40 AM

She may be acting selfish, but her points are valid ones. The one-and-done rule helps no one, kids in college do not do anything for the second semester, it only delays the inevitable.

Football has a good reason for the three year rule, the amount of physical growth during those years. An 18 year old kid going straight to the NFL would be at serious risk of injury, or possibly death with the size of NFL players.

Basketball, like baseball, doesn't have that crutch. If it is to get the kids in college so that hopefully they have a fall back plan, it's short sighted to force them to stay for one year, and basically be a student for a semester.

If you want to protect them financially, then enforce a clause in the contract where some of there money is placed into investments, or something similar. That way they have to agree to the terms of the contract, and they are protected (at least somewhat) financially.

Mar 26, 2018, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting perspective ]

She did NOT say what you just wrote. She specifically referenced the 'one and done'...period. She wanted her son to go to Harvard...does that sound like wasted years of education? No...but she's smart enough to realize there are a very few select and very gifted players for whom 'one and done' is nothing more than a big risk of injury. Had the rule been in place, did Lebron or Kobe need a year of college? Not a bit.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2018, 11:51 AM

I believe the majority of players do need to go to college, at least for two years to actually make it mean something.

However, players like you mentioned, Lebron and Kobe, along with Garnett, Tracy McGrady, etc., how did missing out on college hurt them?

Players like KD, Russ, Kyrie, Wiggins, Embiid, Simmons, were all sure lottery picks out of high school. How did the one year at college help them?

The main issue is that for some kids it doesn't hurt them to go straight from high school, and doesn't help them to be in college for a year. For a majority of kids, they would benefit from college.

The problem is, if you do away with the one-and-done rule how would you regulate that, other than by letting nature run it's course.

Agree with your points except that Russ

Mar 26, 2018, 11:58 AM

was a sure lottery pick out of HS. He was a 3 star whose offer list wasn't too impressive. UCLA obviously< but then also schools like Creighton, Miami, ASU and Kent State>

Re: Agree with your points except that Russ

Mar 26, 2018, 12:02 PM

That's correct, I think I added him in just due to the fact I like his style of play. He certainly wasn't an NBA prospect out of high school, my mistake, but thanks for pointing it out.

Re: your Interesting perspective on ‘selfish’...

Mar 26, 2018, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting perspective ]

.... why should ANYone (as we ALL do it) who is interested in or pursuing their own self interest, be labeled as ‘selfish’?

I could understand if she/he ‘HAD it ALL’ and refused to ‘share’ any excess, but to want the best for yourself is NOT selfish.

She is certainly arrogant (“...let the second tier players ...”) - maybe ‘self centered’, albeit on behalf of her son...

.... sorry to be argumentative.... jmho

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

NBA could just as well require a 4 year degree as much

Mar 26, 2018, 11:44 AM

of corporate America does.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NBA could just as well require a 4 year degree as much

Mar 26, 2018, 11:49 AM

That would separate the men from the boys. Not likely to happen. But a good idea.

I don't understand why a business interested in investing

Mar 26, 2018, 11:57 AM

millions upon millions wants to also assume most ALL the risk, which is what mom seems to suggest and want.

I don't blame her, but that's bad business and ownership's right in vetting before making a move. It's more than just another level of basketball as well, it's another level or step in life and learning to adjust to it.

Some don't make that transition as seamless as others, which is tremendously important.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't understand why a business interested in investing

Mar 26, 2018, 12:01 PM

'One and done' is a 'get out of jail free' card for the NBA.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that's a bene, so be it. There were failures before

Mar 26, 2018, 12:19 PM

the change as well as successes. Depending on the side of the issue people fall seems to drive which they promote.

It seemed they hoped to eliminate some that weren't ready for prime time, those failures so to speak, giving all of them the opportunity to be away from mommy for a year before making an even bigger leap.

There are more than nefarious reasons to require the year, 3 in football, and the Union at the time found agreement.

If she ensures her kid gets a proper education

Mar 26, 2018, 2:17 PM

it could also SAVE your kid money by helping him know a little about how to handle his wealth. That's part of the reason these pro's go broke.

It could also save your kid from being an NBA drop out when testing his skills in college could prevent that.

Also won't allowing kids to go pro immediately water down the first round and therefore first round money? NBA teams will be more hesitant to throw money at talent that hasn't been tested much. I'm pretty sure the money is dictated by the CBA standards but this sort of change would likely come about with a CBA change.

Not all one and done's are ready for the NBA.

Re: If she ensures her kid gets a proper education

Mar 26, 2018, 3:06 PM

So one year of college (which in most cases is a half of a year) will help these guys manage wealth better?

Was the first round watered down when players were able to go straight from high school? Is making them wait just one year not delaying the watering down, if it is? A lot think that the one and done concept is watering down college basketball. Think about it, we're wishing Grantham and Devoe well after giving 4 years to this program, and we will know the majority of our team next year. Kentucky is likely to have a new starting 5, for one year.

The money for rookie contracts is set by the CBA, and first round contracts can vary from the scale at 80% of what is set up to 120%. The big key, is that the first two years are guaranteed for first round picks.

Not all one and dones are ready for the NBA, but it's seemed to work out for quite a few of them and I'm not sure what the one year of college did for them.

Mar 26, 2018, 3:37 PM

Only 44 high school players were ever drafted into the NBA. 12 years into the ban on drafting high school students and every Rivals 5 Star is marketed as a lottery pick being denied their big chance. On average less than one kid a year is being affected by this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2018, 5:15 PM

If it was "on average less than one kid a year being affected by this" then why did they implement the rule in the first place? They saw a trend and decided to do so, the NBA lobbied for a two year minimum and the PA wanted none, so they compromised at one.

Of the 44 you mentioned 39 of those were from 1995 to 2005, when the ban was implemented. Out of the 39, 30 were from 2000 until the ban. That's an average of 5 per year, and it was growing?

17 were in 2004 and 2005, the last two years, that makes for 38.6% of the 44 ever drafted out of high school. If you include 2003 that makes for 22, or 50% of "only 44 players were ever drafted into the NBA."

Nice try to skew the statistics to fit your narrative though, but you're ultimately helping the point you're arguing against.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic