Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting article from the National Review about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 486

Interesting article from the National Review about

Jan 24, 2020, 5:12 PM

conservative ideology. Any conservatives care to weigh in after reading the article, I'd like to know if the article is fair, accurate, neither or both?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/01/conservative-divide-anti-state-against-anti-left/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's much more to unravel here than can be covered...

Jan 24, 2020, 5:29 PM

in this space provided by an OP-ED.

"For most Americans, conservatism basically means the stuff Republicans are for, and liberalism means whatever Democrats are for. I don’t mean this as a criticism, just a statement of fact."

That statement alone merits much research, discussion and debate. As with my understanding of the Bible, seldom can I agree with anyone on everything. I believe the Bible is the infallible inerrant Word of God but I do not believe in the burning #### as a literal place of fire as we understand fire.

I do not believe true conservative are opposed to prospective alternate fuels rather than burning oil. I do not believe today's liberals are anywhere close to being the liberals of the day long ago when I was more liberal.

Imo, this is way too broad a scope for one article though I admit, just as Baptist believe closer to me than anyone else, conservatives are probably the political baptist when it comes to identifying with a party.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's much more to unravel here than can be covered...

Jan 24, 2020, 5:57 PM

Thanks my friend, I agree that it is a pretty broad topic and I wasn't aware of some of the writer's views. I appreciate you letting me know your thoughts.

As a conservative, I can say it's ########

Jan 24, 2020, 5:32 PM

The title I disagreed with. Read the first few lines, and continued to disagree. Won't go further. I no longer consider myself a Republican for all intents and purposes.

Liberalism and conservatism are ideologies. They're beyond parties. Beyond states even. Honestly the two political views have been present as long as government and states have existed. Parties change. Governments change. States and nations change. No matter the change, liberalism and conservatism as political ideologies, have remained consistent since Plato wrote The Republic. Since St. Augustine wrote the City of God. Since the Magna Carta, and since the American Revolution, and most recently since Trump became President and the 1960's.

And probably the most important factor in shaping a person's political ideology is how they view other people. Is man inherently evil, or inherently good. More functionally, whether the people make the state better, or does the state make the people better?

The guy who wrote this, like most "intellectuals" today, is locked in a box. Trees are all he sees. Not the forest.

btw - I did end up reading it all just to respond.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a conservative, I can say it's ########

Jan 24, 2020, 5:54 PM

Thanks Tigitty. I read National Review on occasion but didn't know how accurate this article was so I thought I'd post it. I appreciate your looking at it and letting me know.

I think most writers are prisoners of two choices.

Jan 24, 2020, 7:04 PM [ in reply to As a conservative, I can say it's ######## ]

Somewhere, somehow idea, concepts, wants, right and wrong gets transferred around for political expediency. Just 20 years ago the dems were the party of the working class. Conservatives would go apechit nuts if a POTUS spent like Obama or Trump.

Liberal no longer care about real civil rights like spying on private citizens unless they are nonwhite or one of the ABC groups.

Imo, the writer just opened a topic which he couldn't have covered in a lifetime.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a lack off education basically. It's the result of so

Jan 25, 2020, 8:59 AM

few people knowing and studying history, specifically. As such, they only see what's recent, and around them, and think something about today, and something about the United States, is different politically/socially than ever before on the history of the Earth. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Compound that with Americans being the least traveled nation on earth (given our wealth), and we live in a history and culture vacuum.

#1 country Americans MOST want to travel to? Australia, which is the closest to American culture you can get. #2 country is England, the next closest country to American culture.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

history is part of it....,

Jan 25, 2020, 10:17 AM

But when was the last time you heard of a high school offering a civics class?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 486
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic