Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting article from SBNation on Bama coaching turnover
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Interesting article from SBNation on Bama coaching turnover

Jan 20, 2019, 8:58 AM

Real short version: it's bad. Real bad. Saban's revolving door of coaches is getting insane...which gives you some idea of the work environment there. The lack of continuity really, really showed against Clemson, when Bama looked strangely unprepared, unfocused, unmotivated, disorganized, and unable to make adjustments...all stuff you're just not used to seeing from previous Bama teams. Whatever, the whole was definitely not equaling the sum of the parts there with the Tide, who went down shockingly easily to a Clemson team that really maybe was one of the Greatest Of All Time.

And it's only getting worse. Now Saban's going to have to rebuild his entire staff basically...again. Whereas Clemson has lost no coaches since Marion Hobby left and Dan Brooks retired...January 10, 2017.

That's a glaring contrast.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/16/18186046/alabama-coaches-leaving-staff

Also...not really the same subject, but no reason to get greedy here and start a second thread. It's a fairly well-known fact that both Clemson and Alabama are 55-4 over the previous 4 seasons, and both have two national titles. But it occurs to me there is a tiebreaker...conference titles. Clemson has four...Alabama but three. The Tide didn't win the SEC in 2017-2018, ceding the conference (briefly) to UGA and sliding into the playoffs as a #4 only because a two-loss Ohio State nipped previously unbeaten Wisconsin in the B1G Championship Game.

Any way you slice it, Clemson has surpassed Alabama as college football's #1 program, not just over the last year, over the last three (we've won two of three), but also over the last four seasons. And Clemson's departing senior class has more wins and more titles (6 in total, four ACC, two National) than any other group of seniors in college football history. Nobody has ever won like these guys have won - never, not at any point, at any time. There has literally been no group of guys like these, ever. For anybody.

What can you say, but Bravo and Well Done, fellas? Astounding.

Who ever woulda thunk it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bravo & Applause to The 2018 Clemson Tiger FB Team!

Jan 20, 2019, 9:12 AM

Go TiGERS & Thanks for ROCKing!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excuses are like opinions.

Jan 20, 2019, 9:19 AM

Everybody has one. It wouldn't matter if Bear was still the Bama head coach, Tom Osborn was the OC and Nick was the DC. You can't stop a freight train which has three engines, 99 loaded cars, doing 90 mph.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting article from SBNation on Bama coaching turnover

Jan 20, 2019, 9:21 AM

Their downfall will be slow, long and painful. Cannot wait to see it unfold

Jan 20, 2019, 9:24 AM

I believe Saban will depart after next season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2019, 9:28 AM

Not sure this happens but also not impossiple imho especially if Tua Tagovailoa declares for the 2020 NFL draft.

Bama does not have a good replacement for him and Clemson still has TL for 2020 and in all likelihood DJ after that. Not sure if his ego could deal with several losses in a row to Clemson.

Jan 20, 2019, 9:57 AM

Will he quit midseason and turn it over to an assistant? That certainly seems to be a possibility as his empire crashes in around him.

Jan 20, 2019, 11:26 AM

You guys are nuts! This is not Spurrier we are talking about!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They still have a loaded roster. They are going to be in the

Jan 20, 2019, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting article from SBNation on Bama coaching turnover ]

playoff again next year.

Jan 20, 2019, 11:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting article from SBNation on Bama coaching turnover ]

his empire isn't crashing around him, but Dabo is a better HC. where has saban not won? The guy knows how to recruit and knows how to coach. take Clemson out of the picture and who is next up? Bama with Saban as coach.

we tore their butts up, but Saban had always lived up to the reputation ESPN gave him until a few weeks ago. what I do like is seeing a genuine guy like Dabo. schooling a win at all costs type like Saban- that is a treat

Jan 21, 2019, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting article from SBNation on Bama coaching turnover ]

No, he wont do that. Too much of a perfectionist. Saban is obsessed with being the absolute best he can be. He will not leave until he wins title #7 or dies chasing it.

I believe this is how the Saban Saga will play out:

1. He wins his 7th title within the next 3 years. Being at the absolute peak of college football, with the most national championships ever, he cannot climb any further. He would be "the best" and there would be no chance at being better. An 8th title would be unnecessary as his legacy has already surpassed anyone in college football history. He retires as the king and Alabama provides him with a lavish retirement more luxurious than any king that has ever lived.

2. His perfectionism gets the better of him and he obsessively continues to coach. He gets over-stressed and temperamental while Alabama's seasons get worse and worse. By the time he hits 70, he's gone 10-3, then 9-4, then 7-6, and pushes Alabama through another ~3 years into mediocre, Outback bowl-tier football. The university then quietly asks him to resign and pass the torch, while paying for everything he wants the rest of his life. He leaves frustrated.

3. His perfectionism gets the better of him, but he keeps his cool and recognizes he is past his prime. ~5 years go by as Alabama's seasons start declining. 2019 they make it to the natty but lose again, 2020 they lose their playoff game, 2021 they have a 10 win season but miss the SECCG, 2022 they have a 9 win season. Saban has always said he would only consider leaving if he sees his best efforts result in a declining trend of success. After a few years of losing the post season and missing the playoff, he leaves after a 9 win season recognizing that his tank is empty and pushing on would burn him out and drive him mad. He announces his retirement with pride, but with some regret at not having beaten Bear Bryant's record. He retires tied with the GOAT and Alabama gives him a lavish retirement.

In all of these scenarios, Alabama will call Dabo to be Saban's replacement, but I believe Dabo would refuse the offer.

Tua’s little brother is next....

Jan 21, 2019, 12:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting article from SBNation on Bama coaching turnover ]

Can’t remember what class he is in, but I think he may be on campus after Tua leaves.

Jan 20, 2019, 11:23 AM

+ 1 for "woulda thunk" , not used enough these days. ; )

so lack of continuity really, really showed against Clemson

Jan 20, 2019, 1:52 PM

but in previous 14 games they were the best bama team ever
and logical conclusion best team ever

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so lack of continuity really, really showed against Clemson

Jan 20, 2019, 2:47 PM

henry® said:

but in previous 14 games they were the best bama team ever
and logical conclusion best team ever

Actually not in the previous 14 games. Maybe the first twelve, when they really didn't play anyone who could challenge them. In the SEC Championship Game against UGA they almost lost, if Kirby hadn't lost his mind with that fake punt call. They put 28 points on Oklahoma in the first 10 minutes...and then proceeded to get outplayed the rest of the game, at some points badly.

There were warning signs, in hindsight it just seemed most people just disregarded them because, well, Alabama.

I spent some time reviewing those two games.

Jan 20, 2019, 3:04 PM

My prediction was 34-17 Clemson with the 17 point win which would feel more like 30. I didn't expect two interceptions that 14 points off turnovers either.

OU would have beaten their socks off if they hadn't played scared to start the game. UGA should have beaten them even with the poor playcalling which I attribute to Kirby being frightened by the big bad wolf.

Imo, Bama can fix some of their issues but no one will ever be able to fix what we exposed about Tua. He will end up like Tajh, an historical quarterback without much of an NFL career.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never fell for the "well, Alabama" nonsense.

Jan 20, 2019, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: so lack of continuity really, really showed against Clemson ]

I tried to convince folks all year that Bama was vulnerable, and that we had proven that the Alabama mystique held no power over us. I won't pretend that I knew we were going to win, but while the Bama/SEC hype and spin was almost unbearable, I knew they would tear and bleed just like everybody else, and I knew we were very talented and very capable of beating them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: so lack of continuity really, really showed against Clemson

Jan 21, 2019, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: so lack of continuity really, really showed against Clemson ]

I think he meant that according to the media (looking at you ESPN) this Bama team was the GOAT. Day in day out for the entire season, right up until the middle of the 4th quarter in the Championship game when it was clear that there was not going to be a comeback from the butt-whooping they took.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2019, 3:03 PM

Might want to research the Oklahoma Sooners from 1953-57. Won 47 straight games with conference and national championships rolled in there. They took a lot of titles.

Jan 20, 2019, 11:21 PM

With a coach that admitted to cheating. In fact he implied he had bought more championships than Coach Ford midfield at the citrus bowl

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 20, 2019, 3:23 PM

Saban only has one couch on staff left that has beat Clemson.

Jan 21, 2019, 5:21 AM

This game was one of the toughest games we played all season, and it was one of the best games for our backup QB Chase Brice bc KB2 Quit on the team and himself. In this game Chase proved he could lead our team to a come from behind win with his tough as nails grit, and he was the MVP of the game IMO. It was after this game that TL came back after being knocked out the Cuse game, and he hasn't skipped a beat since winning the ACC championship game, winning his playoff game against the Notre Dame leprechaun's, then moving on to lead his team to a Bama beat down winning the National Championship as a True Freshman.

A lot happen with our Tigers in this game, but our team dusted them selves off and never looked back bc, they just proved that adversity could not beat our Clemson Tiger FB team, and everything else became history with the Clemson Tigers being the first 15-0 National Championship team!!!

This is the game that Adversity tried to beat us and lost!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOWUiXPH0aE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic