Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Historic Clemson Photos #55 - The Third Barracks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Football Update: Historic Clemson Photos #55 - The Third Barracks

Jun 4, 2013, 2:26 PM

Historic Clemson Photos #55 - The Third Barracks

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why didn't I get to stay in a historically renovated that vs

Jun 4, 2013, 2:37 PM

the old Johnstone bldgs?

Not sure about Barracks 2 and 3, but I've heard No 1 was

Jun 4, 2013, 4:44 PM

falling apart by the '50s. It had been built in the 1890s or 1900s and I'm not sure it was built to last in the first place (prison labor). In any case, they decided to replace it (and the other 2 oldest barracks) with what was then a cutting-edge design for a modular building: Johnstone. I wish Clemson had preserved the original barracks too, or at least replaced them with architecturally similar structures. At least they kept Barracks 4-8 (Frat Quad).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

Re: Why didn't I get to stay in a historically renovated that vs

Jun 5, 2013, 7:18 AM [ in reply to Why didn't I get to stay in a historically renovated that vs ]

oN E-4 WE watched Tiger BAND CRANK UP @ 5 PM
JUST ASK H PEELER ABOUT IT

Hey that was my home my freshman year in 1949. Parked my

Jun 4, 2013, 7:39 PM

motorcycle under the steps. Brings back lots of memories.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey that was my home my freshman year in 1949. Parked my

Jun 4, 2013, 7:46 PM

I was taking you for a Hudson Hornet type of man.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting, also, is your home town...Monroe, LA...Ever

Jun 4, 2013, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Hey that was my home my freshman year in 1949. Parked my ]

get over to West Monroe to see the Duck Commander Offices? Or have you ever seen any of the Duck Dynasty folks?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting, also, is your home town...Monroe, LA...Ever

Jun 4, 2013, 11:45 PM

Hi,Hartins. No, my hometown was Easley,S.C. Believe it or not I have not been over to visit with the Duck's. My wife is a Clemson original and she doesn;t see how they can stand those beards in the hot humid weather we have down here. We sure miss those ole red hills up there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey that was my home my freshman year in 1949. Parked my

Jun 5, 2013, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Hey that was my home my freshman year in 1949. Parked my ]

My home in 1948 was third room to the left of center on second floor. Four cadets in the room. Corner room to the right of center on second floor in 1950. Three cadets to the room due to rooming with the Company Commander! Our Company Picture was taken on the steps both years.

Wonderful memories. For you "young guys", just one note to demonstrate the power of a military existence for four years. I still hang my clothes in the closet following the system required by the cadet rules. Some things stick with you for life and the best are the wonderful memories of four years at Clemson.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Historic Clemson Photos #55 - The Third Barracks

Jun 4, 2013, 9:12 PM

Thanks for the photo. I spent 2 years in te eighth barracks. Brings back great times. All night weekend poker games and chanting out: 6 o'clock and all is well, seventh barracks go to ####.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2013, 11:44 PM

Prison labor also built Tillman Hall so I doubt that was the problem.

Jun 5, 2013, 6:58 AM

some of us lived in the tin cans what ?? no a/c

Tell it like it was, Brother....When I checked into my

Jun 5, 2013, 7:34 AM

tin can room, the fact that there was no A/C didn't phase me, as we didn't have it at home. After one night sweltering my roommate (from Falls Church, VA) and I "pooled" about five dollars and sprung for a small fan from Judge Keller's. That did absolutely nothing. Taking it back, I convinced the Judge's son to let me swap it for a breeze box...and pay him the balance over the next couple of months. Our room visitors increased mightily, when hallmates learned of our purchase! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beautiful building....what happened to it?***

Jun 5, 2013, 11:10 AM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic