Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sweeney's Salary
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 51

Sweeney's Salary

Nov 18, 2015, 11:12 AM

Ain't nary coach worth this much (or more w/Sabin et al). At least they should give an incentive for beathing the Gamecocks!

CLEMSON
Coach Dabo Swinney stands to achieve more than $1 million in performance bonuses if Clemson wins college football’s national championship.

If Clemson is selected for the College Football Playoff semifinals, Swinney would receive $400,000. He would be due another $400,000 if Clemson advances to the championship game. Winning the national championship would be worth another $100,000.

Swinney said he was not surprised the bonuses would be attainable less than two years after the contract was signed.

“Yeah, absolutely,” he said Tuesday. “That’s why they’re in there. Winning a national championship is a rare thing. It’s like Halley’s Comet.”

His eight-year agreement, which runs through 2021, guaranteed Swinney $3.3 million in salary, supplement and licensing compensation this year.

Among the performance bonuses already attained are $75,000 for the team’s academic performance and $50,000 for appearing in the ACC Championship game.

If Clemson wins the ACC title, he would receive $100,000.

Should Clemson win the ACC and not reach the playoff, but instead appear in a CFB bowl game, Swinney would receive $300,000.

The contract was structured so Swinney’s salary would increase by $150,000 to $3.45 million beginning in 2016. Winning the ACC Championship would automatically kick the raise an additional $50,000 annually to $3.5 million.

Based on the USA Today survey of college football coaches’ salaries, Swinney entered the season 26th. Highest was Alabama coach Nick Saban at more than $7 million.

“It’s not any different than anybody else out there,” Swinney said of the bonus schedule. “You have a contract and you achieve certain measurements there’s incentives built in.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article45301155.html#storylink=cpy

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sweeney's Salary. I Hope He Earns Every DIME!***

Nov 18, 2015, 11:24 AM

I too hope Dabo SWINNEY Earns Every DIME!***

Nov 18, 2015, 11:30 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Luckily, we don't have to pay this Sweeney guy at all!

Nov 18, 2015, 11:28 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PAY THE MAN!!!

Nov 18, 2015, 11:31 AM

Dabo has been the key to restoring and furthering the greatness of our football program and our athletic department. I fully support him making 5 or 6 million a year, especially with the caliber of product that he has delivered Furthermore, if he were ever lured by competing programs because of money, Clemson should open the coffers and BEAT ANY OFFER that may come around. If he leaves let's make sure it's not because of money!

Re: PAY THE MAN!!!

Nov 18, 2015, 12:01 PM

Dabo stands to get an extra $1M because he's brought more than that into his employer. From ticket sales, to merchandise, to higher future TV revenues, to the value of publicity, he's brought quite a lot to the university and gets paid appropriately.

Remembering my labor economics, you employ labor to the point where the marginal cost of labor exceeds the marginal revenue produced by that labor. We had some econometric data and did an analysis of play salaries in professional baseball. This was in the '80s and we used old data, even for that time, but what we found was that the star players were underpaid. Pete Rose was one of the best examples, but he brought in several times his salary, but the guy making the league minimum was overpaid. Adding that extra utility infielder batting 225 added less value to the club than his salary.

Excluding the character issues, Dabo is Pete Rose.

Re: PAY THE MAN!!!

Nov 18, 2015, 12:02 PM [ in reply to PAY THE MAN!!! ]

I'm not sure if Dabo would even take 5/6 million. Sounds crazy but the type of man he is, he would take an increase and spread it around to keep the staff in tact. Coach loves Clemson and not sold that he is as money motivated as many college coaches. I hope he stays for a long time and we find ways to keep him here.

Also, in the BV interview, BV said that one of his challenges is keeping everyone hungry over our 5 ten win seasons and wants to make it 10 ten win seasons. I'm taking that as BV wants to stay here a long time as well.

Dabo the next major tenured coach?

Nov 18, 2015, 12:07 PM

I would love to see Dabo turn our to be our coach that see the program through the next 20+ years!

No matter what happens in the future, Dabo Swinney is as much a part of Clemson as Howard's rock, and I hope he stays just as long. Even when we eventually come down from this amazing success, I want DABO!

I think he'll do better than that...

Nov 18, 2015, 11:33 AM

if you go to playoffs and win it all he'll probably get a great contract extension.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In your world Tommy West would be in his 20th season

Nov 18, 2015, 11:38 AM

at Clemson making 175,000 as head coach and we'd now be in the SoCon !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't know his name, then you may want to stay silent

Nov 18, 2015, 12:00 PM

about him or his value to the University.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is Sweeney?***

Nov 18, 2015, 12:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SPELL HIS NAME WRITE PLEASE!!!!! JEEBUS, YOU POEPLE.***

Nov 18, 2015, 12:17 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got your paintes in a wade, do ye?***

Nov 18, 2015, 1:03 PM

Replies: 13
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic