Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My thoughts on rankings and SOS and playoffs.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

My thoughts on rankings and SOS and playoffs.

Sep 16, 2018, 5:34 PM

1. Us being demoted now, after beating a team that is now ranked got my attention. Not so much because I think Clemson is better than UGA (I have no idea) but because it means the culture for changing perception on a week by week basis has increased. This means that short-term thinking is more relevant than it was 2 years ago, when everyone had "win and move up" syndrome.

2. Our strength of schedule could potentially keep us out of the playoffs. Whether we are talking about one loss or not, there is a chance that it could impact us. Acting like it is definitely not going to matter is wrong. I do believe that if we go 13-0 that we are in, but I am not foolish enough to think I'm sure. Plus, the odds of us losing a game are certainly there. It's not impossible.

3. We want to have multiple teams on our schedule in the top 25 by the end of the year, and we want Texas A&M to be in the top 4 of the SEC West. We all know about SEC bias. And now we know they will put teams that don't even win their division in the playoffs, based on the eye test. That means that if we have a embarrassingly bad SOS, and that becomes a repeated theme, then it can absolutely mess up our party.

4. I know the rankings right now are worthless. I don't care being ranked #3 vs #2 vs #4 or 5. Most everything will sort it self out. But there is absolutely reasonable chance that 4 other teams LOOK as good as we do and have better schedules and the same record or 1 more loss than we do.

5. The last 3 years we made it to the playoffs we had multiple elite wins under our belt. We likely will not have that this time. That is relevant.

6. The whole point of all of this is to justify why I will care about the teams on our schedule doing well. I want BC to win out. I want TAMU to win out, and I hope SCAR comes in 2nd in the EAST. I almost vomited typing that last part, but the only team I care more about than "whoever SCAR is playing"... is Clemson. And this year is cutting it close.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My thoughts on rankings and SOS and playoffs.

Sep 16, 2018, 5:41 PM

Georgia allowed 288 yards and gained 484, while we allowed 143 and gained 595. we were definitely more dominant, taking away the missed field goals and turnovers, we win by at least 21 more points. definitely sec bias ranking Georgia at 2

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 10:22 PM

Georgia is getting the same benefit that we did after making the NC game in 2015.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 18, 2018, 8:52 PM

What benefit? We got dropped in the rankings after starting 3-0 in 2016 also.

Sep 16, 2018, 5:42 PM

Agreed. This is where conference pride comes into play...we need our fellow members to win as many OOC matchups as possible and we need at least 2 or 3 strong teams. I have high hopes for VT and BC, I think they could be the other 2. Don't forget about Duke. Most importantly though we need to win out, we probably won't be able to absorb a conference loss this year if we're the only strong team. We also need Texas A&M to beat Bama this weekend and win as many games as they can.

What better proof of your cootness than to

Sep 18, 2018, 8:03 AM

post about "conference pride?"

Take it to FGF coot

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

It's all about the eye test.

Sep 16, 2018, 5:42 PM

Whether Clemson fans want to admit it or not. We have to stop playing mediocre against inferior opponents. And YES we need our offensive co-coordinators to call better games!

That said. I still believe a 1 loss Clemson ACC champion gets into the playoffs. No reason to believe any differently.

Re: It's all about the eye test.

Where do you see us getting one loss?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Did you see us losing to Pitt or Cuse

Sep 18, 2018, 6:58 AM

Before it happened? There’s going to be 1-2 games we come out flat for. I’m less worried about the effects of that this year because of the 2 QB’s and them still in a competition for reps to keep the offense on track.

Re: Did you see us losing to Pitt or Cuse

Sep 18, 2018, 8:17 AM

We came out flat in the Georgia State game.....

...and still won, glad that’s off the table now! ??

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 5:53 PM

If we go 13-0, there’s not a snowball chance we are passed over. Not even 1/10 of 1%. Guarantee. I bet my assets and my first grandchild on it. Like every year, win and we’re in. Lose and we’re dependent on someone else to fall.

Sep 18, 2018, 8:59 PM

What about if we go undefeated, Oklahoma, Ohio St, and Bama/Georgia winner with the other having only 1 loss from the SEC championship game. As bad as the B1G, ACC, Big 12, and SECLeast look that scenario is not out of the realm of possibility. Would make for an interesting final 4 that’s for sure.

Sep 16, 2018, 8:10 PM

Good points made here.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re overthinking this.

Sep 16, 2018, 8:16 PM

It’s week 3. Most teams haven’t been tested yet, and a lot can change over the next couple of months. As long as we play up to, or near, our potential, we will be fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Some good hypotheses but it's early ...

Sep 16, 2018, 10:24 PM

While SEC West looks good early, they will beat each other up. Will be interesting to see if Bama completely breaks Tx A&M in half next week to demonstrate Bama's dominance over Clemson for year-end FBS voters. I expect they will.

Agree with those who believe it may take an undefeated season to get in playoffs this year as pressure will continue to increase from teams and conferences that are being left out ... with Clemson being in three years in a row. But bright side is 13-0 looks achievable. Long way to go ... we'll see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson on the road for Gameday with no film... Bama at home

Sep 16, 2018, 11:30 PM

Two entirely different scenarios...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, but will committee members look at it that way??***

Sep 17, 2018, 10:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, because one is a road win and the other will be a

Sep 18, 2018, 7:54 AM

home win or loss.

We are like 99.99999% in at 13-0

Sep 17, 2018, 12:23 AM

I think the most undefeated power conference teams in one season in several decades was 3 in 2004. It would likely take 5 to knock us out at 13-0.

Re: We are like 99.99999% in at 13-0

Sep 18, 2018, 7:48 AM

I respectfully disagree. The committee has already been down that road with Wisconsin. They repeatedly did not make the top 4 undefeated with a weak schedule.

Re: We are like 99.99999% in at 13-0

Sep 18, 2018, 9:09 PM

*UCF...last year's "National Champion"

The only "worry" about not making playoffs is if we lose

Sep 17, 2018, 6:36 AM

a game.

13-0. We are in no matter any scenario that is even remotely possible.

12-1 and ACC Champs should get us in....but I agree that this year we "may" not have the SOS to make that a guarantee as it was the past 2 years.

TAMU, if they finish in the Top 25, would help. We also need SCAR to be good...finishing in Top 25 even after we beat them in November.

The variables are in the ACC. Will VT (or whomever in the Coastal) be in the Top 15 when we get to ACC Championship? Miami's ranking helped us last year.

Will Syracuse or BC step up and be a good team?

Lot's of variables there. Unlike the past 2 seasons, I can't say in September that our SOS will be an asset to us when comparing to other 1 loss teams at crunch time. It could be an asset...but at this moment we are counting on several teams to play well...and that may be asking a lot!

Sep 17, 2018, 7:15 AM

I think a one loss with an ACC Championship gets us in. An A&M win this weekend, against Bama, really solidifies that thought.

We need to be an offensive juggernaut

Sep 17, 2018, 7:41 AM

And demolish our opponents. Maybe not to make the playoffs this year, but to keep the excitement in our program that has turned heads the last few seasons and made us so attractive to top talent. I think we are a shoe in for CFP if we are 13-0 with ACC title, but one slip up and we are likely outside looking in. The SEC media is ripe to turn on us. We’ve been a thorn in the whole SEC dominance thing. And SEC may well get two teams in. And Big 10 won’t stand for a snub after last year. And what if ND is undefeated or 1-loss.
A win is a win, but letting inferior opponents hang around leads to things like the NC State near miss, the Pitt loss, the Syracuse loss. And gets the pundits talking us down. We have enough talent to destroy our schedule. Let’s do it.

For those saying its impossible for 13-0 Clemson left out...

Sep 17, 2018, 2:14 PM

Here is a highly unlikely possibility...

13-0 Clemson
13-0 Oklahoma
12-1 Bama or LSU
13-0 UGA
13-0 Ohio State
13-0 Stanford

4 teams get in. Tell me it's automatic Clemson gets in under this scenario if Clemson has the worst SOS by a wide margin.

Again, I believe it is very very likely that if Clemson is 13-0 we are in. But it's not 100%.

And with one loss, we are very much at the mercy of our schedule.

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning

Sep 17, 2018, 2:25 PM

twice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Agree!

Sep 18, 2018, 6:55 AM

nm

In your scenario:

Sep 17, 2018, 10:11 PM [ in reply to For those saying its impossible for 13-0 Clemson left out... ]

1) Undefeated UGA
2) 13-0 Stanford with wins over Wash., Oreg., USC, Notre Dame and champ over ? Az St?
3) Ohio State with wins at TCU, Penn St, Mich and Wisconsin
4) so who ya got? Us with wins over TAMU, VT, So Car, and BC?
Or Okla with wins over WVU, Ok St, Texas, TCU and WVU again?

Bama would be out

Bama would be out???

Sep 18, 2018, 8:23 AM

Hahahahaha!

A 1-loss Bama is NEVER out.

They get a pass for whatever anomaly caused their uncharacteristic hiccup

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Wait... Bama would be out? Uh... what?***

Sep 18, 2018, 8:48 PM [ in reply to In your scenario: ]

timeout

These polls mean absolutely nothing. Wait until the cfp committee releases their first poll before getting all worked up. I’ve watched the polls in previous years and it’s really interesting how the AP and Coaches poll falls into alignment with the cfp committee poll once it is released. Interesting too, is that the cfp poll usually differs from the AP and Coaches poll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With One Loss There is Risk....Undeafeated Clemson Gets in

Sep 17, 2018, 10:30 PM

100% of the time....You don't need to have a ton of ranked teams, having a good resume of solid top 40s works just fine if you are unbeaten

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope.. #1...

Sep 18, 2018, 8:02 AM

all clemson has to do is win.

. an undefeated acc champ will not be left out of the playoffs.

there is no number #2.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic