Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stop crying about conference games and dropped series. We
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Stop crying about conference games and dropped series. We

Jul 18, 2012, 4:13 PM

are in the ACC, a conference with a great footprint, the eastern seaboard, the top academic BCS conference, the top basketball conference, and a #### good football conference that includes Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, flagship state universities like North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, NC State. A contiguous conference that makes sense geographically and has regional rivalries. We are one of the power five conferences.

The Big12 SEC Bowl is worth $80 million. If the market brings half that for the Orange, the ACC is on an even level in that regard because we don't share it with another conference. Sure we have to pay the opponent something, but it sure won't be a 50-50 split. In years that the Orange is a semi game, it will be worth at least $80 million.

As far as dropping football games, the Ole Miss game was a mutual decision. And I'll bet with the Big12 playing 9 conference games, the Oklahoma State game was mutual as well. We will have 9 ACC conference games, look for the SEC to go this route very shortly. This is the same reason why the Pac12-Big10 scheduling agreement fell through.

The ACC is probably going to get in some sort of scheduling agreement with Notre Dame, maybe 4 games a year. Clemson should not approve this unless it is going to rotate to all teams. So if we play 9 ACC games and South Carolina every year, with Notre Dame every fourth or fifth year, we will not have to answer to anyone about our schedule.

One thing the ACC does need to do is make sure FSU, Clem, and GT play every year to develop these good rivalries. Clemson already does, but FSU and GT are missing their game being in different divisions. FSU has a lot of alums in Atlanta and I don't blame them wanting that game. They have also had some cracker-jack games with GT over the years, though GT hasn't beatne them as much as we have. But GT has beaten Miami quite a few and that is a nice rivalry.

Contrary to most fans, I don't believe the answer is north/south divisions. These divisions would not be well-balanced comptetitively and I don't want Miami in a north division looking odd like they did in the Big East and VT doesn't want to be up there away from southern recruiting grounds. I like the zipper approach to divisions like the ACC has done because it means all the teams have exposure up and down the coast and can recruit in Florida as well and Pennsylvania-New Jersey area.

I wouldn't mind the ACC switching GT into the Atlantic in exchange for Boston College. Then you have the following from north to south in the Atlantic, with the permanent partners. However, I doubt GT would want to be permanent partners with VT while playing FSU and Clemson every year, and I doubt Clemson would want that either. And that brings me to my last adjustment. I don't think there should be permanent partners. How is it fair for anyone to have Duke as a permanent partner while someone else has GT, or VT as a permanent partner. Maybe we should play our 7 six division mates and then rotate three from the other side on two year intervals. I think you would see teams more often that way anyway. This switch also keeps the Atlantic from having the two most northern teams while the Coastal goes no further north than Pitt, something else that bothers FSU, although the Coastal must go all the way south to Miami. I think this switch should seriously be considered. All in all though, I am glad we got Syracuse instead of Pitt in our division. Cuse has a better game atmosphere, but Pitt is probably more difficult to beat.

Atlantic-----------Coastal
Syracuse-----------Boston College
Maryland-----------Pitt
NC State-----------North Carolina
Wake Forest--------Duke
Clemson------------Virginia
Georgia Tech-------Virginia Tech
Florida State------Miami

Bottom line, the ACC is a great conference to be in. Had we just turned down or been spurned by the SEC, I'd be heartbroken. But when things just didn't develop with the Big12, I felt nothing, and I think most of you did too. Why? because I don't think the Big12 was the answer. I never loved that idea.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no kidding...we're lucky to even be in the ACC***

Jul 18, 2012, 4:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no kidding...we're lucky to even be in the ACC***

Jul 18, 2012, 4:22 PM

this has to be a joke!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC is the greatest thing since sliced bread***

Jul 18, 2012, 4:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no kidding...we're lucky to even be in the ACC***

Jul 18, 2012, 4:32 PM [ in reply to no kidding...we're lucky to even be in the ACC*** ]

It's been 20 years since we won this "slack" conference. Let's focus on becoming the best in this conference before we get concerned with other conferences.

no doubt...I've been working in the garden area of KMart

Jul 18, 2012, 4:34 PM

for the past 20 yrs...my friends say I should look for another job but my manager says I should stick at it....I'm working hard...

Re: no doubt...I've been working in the garden area of KMart

Jul 18, 2012, 4:38 PM

Yes, but when those 4 other gardeners do a much better job then you, what makes you think you can do a better job at the Biltmore estate?

Bingo!!***

Jul 18, 2012, 5:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's been six months since we won this conference...

Jul 18, 2012, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Re: no kidding...we're lucky to even be in the ACC*** ]

not twenty years.

Re: Stop crying about conference games and dropped series. We

Jul 18, 2012, 4:16 PM

i say this was all respect....you Sir, are a maroon!

he's a smart man....he's got it figured out***

Jul 18, 2012, 4:17 PM

obviously we're going to get a great opponent to come play

Jul 18, 2012, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Stop crying about conference games and dropped series. We ]

us and we keep all the revenue from the game....really makes sense to me.

tl;dr***

Jul 18, 2012, 4:23 PM

Great conference???

Jul 18, 2012, 4:28 PM

I didn't want the Big 12 either, but the ACC is far from a GREAT conference.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's a great conference...these flagship universities

Jul 18, 2012, 4:32 PM

like UVA, UNC, Maryland, NC State...and we've got a deal with the Orange Bowl...I know the other 4 conf partnered up with each other but we'll make millions and play a great school from the MAC or Sunbelt...now everyone will watch our game and we'll get to keep the millions.....

a nine-win Notre Dame or our choice of at-large from

Jul 18, 2012, 4:49 PM

Big10, SEC, Pac12, Big12 does not equal MAc or SunBelt. Before saying we'd have to take a third place team from these conferences, let me say the pick of that litter would probably be a top-12 and something like Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Southern Cal etc. etc.

ND has won 9 games only 3 times in the past 10 seasons.

Jul 18, 2012, 5:36 PM

And having to take the 3rd best team from one of the other 4 conferences, makes the Orange Bowl look small compared to the other big bowls that will pit the numbers one and two teams from those conferences. It is something that we just have to live with.

Sorry, but this post is idiotic

Jul 18, 2012, 5:52 PM

It's not about the ACC, it's about the fact that we don't need a 9th conference game. The 9th conference game keeps us from playing at least one big out of conference opponent every other year that doesn't smell like chicken. Get it? So no A&M, no Georgia, no Ole Miss, no Okie State. 8 games was fine, the extra one game of crappy ACC revenue isn't worth losing our big OOC game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You failed to comprehend my post.

Jul 18, 2012, 9:42 PM

I was writing about the Orange Bowl and potential ACC opponents in it, compared to the other New Years Day bowls; not about the regular season schedule.

I think overall, not just football, it is a great conference

Jul 18, 2012, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Great conference??? ]

The football has been down lately, but we are just one FSU run for the nat. title, Miami run for the nat. title, VT run for the nat. title, Clemson as well, from being a great conference. You do realize that Miami's national titles are not that long ago. I think it was 1999 that Florida State and Virginia Tech played each other for the national title. There is great potential here in this conference.

yeah because one team for one year getting hot does

Jul 18, 2012, 4:35 PM

make for a great football conf.

And I'm sure you always pull against ACC teams when they

Jul 18, 2012, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Great conference??? ]

play out of conference teams?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In years that the Orange is a semi game the money isn't ours

Jul 18, 2012, 5:07 PM

on those years, the ACC doesn't get the money. all the media revenue will be split amongst conferences. get your facts right.

Do you have a link to this fact? I actually appreciate

Jul 18, 2012, 5:30 PM

being enlightened, but not when someone is a complete ### about it.

I wouldn't count on not splitting 50-50 unless we want

Jul 18, 2012, 5:28 PM

"scraps' for an Orange Bowl opponent. And then, the total Orange Bowl payout will be even less due to an unattractive opponent.

exactly...we send our champ against the third place team

Jul 18, 2012, 9:08 PM

in another league...that sounds familiar.....Chick Fil A Bowl comes to mind....ACC #2 vs. SEC #4 or #5

Re: Stop crying about conference games and dropped series. We

Jul 18, 2012, 9:12 PM

in order to show the strength of the ACC you have to play these other power house conferences and prove that this conference can go against anyone with the chance of winning.

fell asleep at "are"***

Jul 18, 2012, 9:58 PM

Split the football divisions into the top programs and the

Jul 18, 2012, 10:43 PM

rest and at least make the regular season something compelling every week. I'd rather see a schedule with Va. Tech, FSU, Ga. Tech, Miami, soon to be Pitt and whomever else every year instead of this cruddy forced Atlantic/Division hodgepodge we've got now. 12 Saturdays in the fall beats a manufactured alignment of displaced east coast programs chock full of indifferent fan bases, placing its bets on a league championship game to bring national credibility.

Yeah, the ACC has all the ingredients to be great, but we gots ourselves a chef with no sense of taste or smell in the kitchen. The league itself is its own worst enemy and I don't see anything that's happened over the course of this off-season to change that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic