Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In y'all no so humble opinion, are propane ranges a good
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 396

In y'all no so humble opinion, are propane ranges a good

Sep 1, 2020, 8:34 AM

option? We already have the tank for the logs. Natural gas does not run to the house.

Are these ranges good when ran with propane, will the increase in the gas bill simply off set the electric bill?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My wife really likes cooking on gas and says it would be

Sep 1, 2020, 8:37 AM

difficult to go back. No idea though on the propane aspect, energy savings, etc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aero's back yard after 6 months of cooking on propane

Sep 1, 2020, 8:44 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Nah, they are too easy to exchange.

Sep 1, 2020, 8:47 AM

That tall one may make a good BBQ pit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taste the meat, not the heat

Sep 1, 2020, 8:56 AM

~TXtigerfan

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Propane range, no gas line, switch out bottles

Sep 1, 2020, 9:08 AM

Is this a FBcouch scok?

How bout you just just shut the #### up.***

Sep 1, 2020, 9:11 AM

Thas not nice, Aero. Hey while you're at it, upgrade

Sep 1, 2020, 11:03 AM

that area of the house where you REALLY wish you had an outlet. Just run a 200 ft extension cord through a window from an exterior outlet you never use. Kinda smash the window down over it so everything stays sorta insulated. Put female adapter on end and secure it to the wall with a little tape. VOILA!

In similar fashion, add a new ice maker to your kitchen without all the plumbing headaches. Jump that puppy off a hose from outside.

The possibilities here are endless.....

LOL, just LOL, for some reason I have a

Sep 1, 2020, 11:17 AM

total of 1 exterior outlet. This really baffles me

Mrs No wanted a gas stove when we built this house 22 yrs

Sep 1, 2020, 9:09 AM

ago. Before that, I had no experience with gas. But now I definitely prefer it. Temperature of a burner goes up and down much quicker than lectric. Works if your power goes out. I will say the oven doesn't heat quite as evenly or broil as evenly, which is why you see some that are gas stovetop combined with electric oven. I have no idea about the cost, but of course it will vary with the price of propane. Check around and compare prices from suppliers, there are differences.

There are different jets used with propane vs natural gas, but I think the performance is the same. Also, if you want a gas grill, get a line run to where you keep the grill. Having a line run to the screened porch is one of the better moves I made. Forget running out or fooling with those small tanks.

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do y'all have natural gas lines or a tank?***

Sep 1, 2020, 9:12 AM

sorry, just edited. see above.***

Sep 1, 2020, 9:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we have a big tank out in the yard.

Sep 1, 2020, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Do y'all have natural gas lines or a tank?*** ]

have gas stove, gas logs, gas furnace for main floor.

Before you spend big bucks on anything

Sep 1, 2020, 9:26 AM

I recommend buying an inexpensive Induction countertop appliance.

Induction gives you total control of heat much like gas, but is much easier to clean.

I wanted gas in our new house, wife did not, we got an induction stove and I absolutely love it. Stove top hardly gets hot at all - just need pans that are magnetic - steel, iron - if you have an all aluminum pot (UDP) it will not work.

There are cheaper ones, but this is considered top notch:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GHWHBCF/?tag=ciosearchresult-20?extcode=MASCD00L0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Supplemental info. We did have a large propane tank in our

Sep 1, 2020, 10:00 AM

old house at one time for logs. Decided to get gas heat and gas water and the gas company ran the gas to our house free of charge (it was already in the neighborhood and our neighbors had gas) - if you want to go that route you may want to check on this - at one time they required at least two appliances to run the gas line.

Propane was not a problem either though, the propane tank was well hidden and they came by and filled it periodically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When your grandma gets old, you cain't let her get cold,

Sep 1, 2020, 10:10 AM

propane

If you wanna get warm
When you're down on the farm
Propane
If you live in the sticks
And your income is fixed
Propane

Its so high, its so high, its so high
Propane

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

man that's funny***

Sep 1, 2020, 10:58 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Wish I could claim it.

Sep 1, 2020, 4:04 PM

It's an old Pinkard and Bowden bit from John Boy and Billy, late 80's era when it wasn't yet run 5 miles deep into the ground.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see no reason why it wouldn't be superior to electric...

Sep 1, 2020, 10:11 AM

especially if you already have a tank outside for gas logs. "Cooking with gas" is a phrase for a reason. High end ranges are gas for a reason. Restaurants use it for a reason. If you like to cook, it's the way to go.

Propane works as good on a grill as natural gas so I don't see any reason why a range would be different. Now I would try and get the highest end range you can justify to get higher quality. I have a kitchen aid at home that is pretty nice but I cooked on a wolf range at a vacation rental and it blew it away in terms of evenness, burner sizes, etc.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Propane doesn't cook near as good as natural gas.

Sep 1, 2020, 10:16 AM

I've used both and I think natural gas is easier to regulate. Propane kind of has a smell, too.

If I were buying new, it'd be in order:

1) Natural gas

A distant second would be a tie between electric and propane. Propane also kinda sucks because of that huge tank in your yard that needs to be refilled 2-3x a year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be...

Sep 1, 2020, 10:18 AM

I've never had a propane range. But I haven't noticed a difference between the two since I converted my griddle. But I guess the different pressures and nozzle sizes would make some difference on an open cooktop.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some restaurants are starting to go Induction

Sep 1, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to I see no reason why it wouldn't be superior to electric... ]

mostly to get the heat out of the kitchen and Induction gives them the same control gas does.

I'm a big fan of induction too

Sep 1, 2020, 10:35 AM

Have one counter top unit will probably get another until I pull the trigger on a built in unit

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

We went with the least expensive built in we could find

Sep 1, 2020, 11:25 AM

still was $1,400 a year or so ago - it does have convection oven, which I love also.

Hey---I know who could settle this for us.

Sep 1, 2020, 4:05 PM [ in reply to I see no reason why it wouldn't be superior to electric... ]

19B®, do you believe that a propane range would be superior to your electric range?

It's popular in the area I live because there are very few

Sep 1, 2020, 12:30 PM

gas lines running.

Wouldn't bother unless you were thinking about doing it to put in a high end range for cooking.

Berea? Piedmont?***

Sep 1, 2020, 4:20 PM

Replies: 26
| visibility 396
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic