Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When Carolina's FB Program is worth over $110,000,000 MORE.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

When Carolina's FB Program is worth over $110,000,000 MORE.

Jan 8, 2013, 7:45 AM

than yours and it keeps growing Yr after yr in a FB Dynasty Conf and we are stuck in a roundball swofford league how do you expect to compete??? 4 in a row will just keep growing until we the SHI$%^&&% outta this sewer crap league!!!!!!!!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When Carolina's FB Program is worth over $110,000,000 MORE.

Jan 8, 2013, 7:56 AM

This particular ranking is completely meaningless. They used the voluntarily submitted Department of Education financial data. Clemson does not include IPTAY figures in those numbers while South Carolina does include YES/Gamecock Club figures. The article says they "standardize revenue" but they can't standardize for unreported revenue.

Further - this is for a year that Carolina hosted the Clemson game, worth as much as $10 million dollars by their estimations.

Also, they claim to standardize the revenue but couldn't figure out how to account for variations in home scheduling to place a total value on a program? I know it was a fluff piece meant to tie in with the BCS game, but it is extremely poorly done for a magazine like Forbes.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No ACC team is in the Top 25.

Jan 8, 2013, 8:11 AM

Coincidence? Maybe or maybe not. So, you may or may not be right. Here is what is certain. If we don't include IPTAY numbers, we better start doing so ASAP. If I'm an opposing recruiter, I show these rankings, among other things, to recruits. Rankings like this are not good for how a football program is perceived.

Re: No ACC team is in the Top 25.

Jan 8, 2013, 8:21 AM

There is no may or may not - this is publicly available information and I've looked it up and posted about it before. But, you are right that Clemson may as well report the information. The SEC is beating our brains in the media manipulation game.

Here's the real deal. The DOE began requesting this information on a voluntary basis. Unfortunately anytime a government agency starts showing interest in your business you need to be worried about why and whether they plan to get involved, Some schools, like Clemson, knew that they were well within their rights to exclude booster revenue and that minimizing the amount of crazy cash swirling around athletics would minimize the federal governments desire to get involved - worse case scenario, take away the tax exempt status of college athletics. SEC schools, by and large, seem to have realized that this would at some point gain the interest of sports journalists and saw an opportunity to once again let the media sound their drumbeat. Mike Slive vs John Swofford is our problem: and that's probably worse than an Alabama vs Wake Forest national championship game. Slive sees all the angles (though I think he has overplayed his SEC network hand - I think he would have gotten more 2 years ago than he'll ever get now) and communicates with his schools. Swofford does pretty much nothing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2013, 8:30 AM

Swofford needs to get his act together and soon. I'm hearing that SEC schools will get $30 million annually when Slive announces the new TV arrangement for the SEC. That's $13 million more annually than ACC schools. That's a HUGE advantage that our neighbor to the south will have.

Jan 8, 2013, 9:23 AM

The Big Ten network generates roughly $100 million dollars in revenue for 12 teams - or $8 million and change per school. Their hope is that recent expansion will bring in the east coast and bump that number all the way up to $200 million per year. The major miscalculation is that to get to that number they have to target Time Warner NYC to bundle BTN into their basic package and pass on a $2.50 per customer surcharge to every single subscriber in the city. This simply isn't going to happen - cable companies are getting beaten to death. Rutgers will not deliver NYC, they aren't even the most popular college team in the market - Notre Dame and Syracuse rank higher.

Now, the SEC network thinks out of the gate it can get $420 million for its package? More than double the pie in the sky expectations of the Big Ten? Their calculation is based on forcing every household in Texas to pay a similar fee in their basic cable bill. But cable networks are fighting these tooth and nail. Texas, who are exponentially more popular than A&M, currently has their network in 12% of homes - IN AUSTIN ONLY. No one else will touch the thing. And these conference networks are mostly peddling tier three sports throughout the year. 8 national championships in a row doesn't make people want to watch SEC gymnastics.

Jan 8, 2013, 10:51 AM

Do you have any links for the numbers you have referenced?

Jan 8, 2013, 1:37 PM

Don't have time to dig them up right now. Just google Big Ten Network Revenue Sharing and you'll get a number of articles. The State Paper published a great breakdown of the South Carolina Athletic Budget last year. Tiger Illustrated has done the best job I could find of getting the real numbers out of Clemson. The $30 million per school for the SEC network is a made up blogosphere number for all I can find. The article that came out last year ranking college popularity - though not entirely scientific - showed the utter disregard the New York area has for Rutgers. Also, interesting sources are to look up bond ratings at Moodys (Clemson's is better) and - probably the single best indicator of a teams value - the Collegiate Licensing Company which ranks their license holders. Clemson has been entrenched at #24 for years. Carolina has crept ahead at #18 but that is after their best football years ever, three straight college world series finals, two championships, and a nice run by their women's basketball team. Clemson is a very valuable property in the world of college football.

Jan 8, 2013, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: No ACC team is in the Top 25. ]

I have no idea how they come up with the figure $30 million/SEC school/annually. My thinking has been that the SEC will get the same percentage bump up that the ACC got. The ACC went from $13 million to $17 million. So, I've been thinking that the SEC will go from $17 milion/SEC school/annually to $22 million/school/annually.Again, how they come up with $30 million/school/ annually, I do not know.

In the January 7 issue of Time magazine, in the story

Jan 8, 2013, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: No ACC team is in the Top 25. ]

"How The SEC Became The Richest Conference In College Sports", a couple of sentences stood out:

1. "Experts predict that the new SEC (TV) deal will be the biggest one ever in college sports."
2. "The SEC may just be getting warmed up financially."

Time will tell.

Re: In the January 7 issue of Time magazine, in the story

Jan 8, 2013, 1:30 PM

Predicting it will be the biggest is not the same as predicting it will be 4 x times larger than any other precedent.

Re: In the January 7 issue of Time magazine, in the story

Jan 8, 2013, 1:42 PM

You just have to have the biggest. I'd rather be in Mike Slive's corner than opposite him at this time. We will know for sure pretty soon, I reckon.

Jan 8, 2013, 10:58 AM [ in reply to No ACC team is in the Top 25. ]

Dude half the guys that are being recruited are going to have trouble qualifying academically I don't think they will be effected by this meaningless obviously Biased skewed report. And if they are we do not need them or either need some new recruiters. I personally think Clemson is doing just fine.

Jan 8, 2013, 9:50 AM

who is we Chicken boy?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Let me be the first to say sold

Jan 8, 2013, 11:17 AM

As a taxpayer of the State of South Carolina if the team is really worth that I demand we sell it. Maybe some dumb russian billionare would buy it.

What if Clemson got one of those trillion $ platinum coins?

Jan 8, 2013, 11:19 AM

That would help fight off the SEC.

DUDE!! There is nothing in Columbia worth more than Clemson

Jan 8, 2013, 11:22 AM

Check that math!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah and scar cant even buy a championship with$110,000,000

Jan 8, 2013, 12:39 PM

LOL

Yeah and look where UNC and Duke rank.....no wonder ACC FB

Jan 8, 2013, 1:05 PM

is not competative.

Jan 8, 2013, 1:10 PM

Yeah, that's great.

Now kindly...get a life.

Jan 8, 2013, 4:11 PM

Carolina has a good basketball team and a fanatical following in the state of North Carolina. Both Duke and North Carolina have good basketball teams so they probably deserve a bit more valuation.

Jan 8, 2013, 4:12 PM

I picturing the dot-com bubble. At some point the bubble will burst. Valuation is on paper only.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic