Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about our basketball facilities.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Question about our basketball facilities.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:33 PM

I realize we that we spruced them up, but how do they compare with the rest of the ACC and other top basketball schools? I was watching the Cincy basketball game yesterday and the announcers were just going nuts how great they were. I heard the same thing about NC States recently. Anyway, I don't how ours compare now that we did some nice renovation. Anyone know? Do our basketball players have a great set up to hangout in when they aren't practicing?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about our basketball facilities.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:40 PM

kelly gramlich says the new improvements puts clemson easily in the top 5 of the acc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 12:50 PM

Sweet!

Jan 13, 2019, 12:43 PM

well they completely tore down the old annex and built a new one, that is where most of the money was spent. The new practice courts were a nice addition compared to what they had and overall a major improvement from the disaster of a building they put in when purnell was here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t why anyone would rant and rave about Nancy State.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:43 PM

They play in a hockey arena, and they have to drive off campus to get there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you actually attended a game at PNC Arena??

Jan 14, 2019, 1:54 PM

What you say is partially true--but a misrepresentation of reality. The Arena may not be technically on NCSt's campus---but its right across the street.....its next door to their football stadium (which, IMO, IS overrated). People park next to the Vet School and walk over to football and basketball games

And the relationship between NCSt and the Carolina Hurricanes NHL franchise has worked out well for the wuffies and one of the few things they've gotten right over the years....the school maintains control of the arena while the hockey team pays for most of it. There are no obstructed views that I'm aware of---the concessions are top notch (though not cheap)

PNC Arena is, again IMO, one of the handful of top collegiate basketball venues in the country

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have you actually attended a game at PNC Arena??

Jan 15, 2019, 9:06 AM

PNC and Carter-Finley are across the highway from the Vet School property but a good 3 miles from the main part of campus

In my opinion, they got us into the top half of the ACC.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:46 PM

Perhaps barely into the top 1/3rd. They still don’t make up for the fact that we have a reputation as a football school that doesn’t care much about basketball. Evidently, some people expected our facilities to immediately catapult us into top recruiting classes and Final Four appearances. My belief is that the momentum from new facilities is also based on several consecutive winning seasons as well as an ongoing baskball commitment by the university.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: In my opinion, they got us into the top half of the ACC.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the insight. Do you think we have any more plans for basketball additions?

I haven't heard, but my guess is that there are no plans

Jan 13, 2019, 2:06 PM

to make any facility changes or upgrades in quite some time. My fear is that our athletic department is still not finished patting itself on the back for spending "big bucks" on basketball, and will not even consider doing anything else for at least 10 years, at which time we will once again be way behind in the facility arms race. I hope I'm wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That has been the cycle for my lifetime***

Jan 13, 2019, 2:10 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stop putting down are support for hoops Brad photo guy

Jan 13, 2019, 1:01 PM [ in reply to In my opinion, they got us into the top half of the ACC. ]

Obviously a relative of Brad by putting his mug shot on your profile. We care about bkball because it is by far the 2nd biggest sport in our country. No one is saying we should be making the Final Four or even the sweet sixteen every year. We just want to be more consistent. There is no reason Clemson can’t go to the NCAA tourney 3 out of 5 years on a regular bases. Shoot, I’ll even put one of those 3 years as on the bubble and not make it. One really good team every 6 years that could make a run, One year where we just make it, and one where we don’t make it on the bubble. Is that too much to ask for?

Re: Stop putting down are support for hoops Brad photo guy

Jan 13, 2019, 1:04 PM

That's why I was wondering if we have our facilities up to snuff even with the renovations.

Jan 13, 2019, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Stop putting down are support for hoops Brad photo guy ]

We care about basketball? Yesterday 35K fans were within 200 yards of Littlejohn 30 minutes before tipping off against a top four conference opponent yet LJ had 2500 empty seats. We say b-ball is important but it is only lip service. We have a rural campus, no sustained history of winning, our facilities are a little above average for a major b-ball programs plus our fans don’t support the program. None of the problems will be fixed with a coaching change. Just like coot football, the coach we want don’t want us.

Jan 13, 2019, 1:29 PM

Basketball is important when the product is exciting. I have seen basketball important at Clemson. It can be done. It was exciting when Rick Barnes was at Clemson. LJ was fun. I think you are wrong. People aren't stupid.

Wrong. Attendence was good yesterday..

Jan 13, 2019, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Stop putting down are support for hoops Brad photo guy ]

It was an announced sellout. Brad mentioned it was good in his post game presser. When everyone sees those middle seats not filled, those are the club seats and the people are in the club section eating watching the game.

a few hundred empty seats at most on Saturday

Jan 14, 2019, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Stop putting down are support for hoops Brad photo guy ]

nothing close to 2500

biggest crowd of the year, by far.

and very few UVA fans

I was surprised to see people "scalping" tix for the

Jan 14, 2019, 2:00 PM

basketball game during the football celebration inside DV on Sat. morning

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with your goals about the NCAA Tournament.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Stop putting down are support for hoops Brad photo guy ]

Honestly, I think we should expect to make it almost every year, although that is based upon having consistent support from the administration and fans. Historically, both our administration and our fan base as a whole only care about basketball occasionally and not all the time. Our pathetic basketball results over our program's history are consistent with that lackluster support.

I am not related to Brad, nor am I a friend of his. But I do think he's an excellent coach who has done a lot for our program. I don't think a lot of our fans understand what a bad situation he inherited, not just in terms of the talent level but also in terms of the organizational structure. He almost singlehandedly met with donors to raise the money for our facility upgrades. He also had to scratch and claw to convince the administration to approve necessary raises for his assistant coaches, as well as approve funds for (some) of the support staff he requested. He certainly isn't a perfect coach, but people who act like he doesn't know what he is doing when it comes to coaching and recruiting are misinformed.

It's obvious that our recruiting has improved over the past few years, as had our overall talent level. Our team's performance has too, although this year has been disappointing thus far. I choose to wait until the season is over before I give a final judgment on how this season has gone. We certainly have a lot to improve upon this year though.

Re: I agree with your goals about the NCAA Tournament.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:45 PM

There aren't many bad or mediocre teams, or unsuccessful programs on any level in any sport, pro or amateur, where the fans support no matter what with attendance. I can see the administration blame, but there is no way the fans should be blamed at this stage. People are paying for a product.

We should've had better fan support this season

Jan 13, 2019, 3:04 PM

coming off one of our best seasons in program history (one of just four Sweet 16 teams) and ranked in the preseason top 20 for one of the only times ever. Excitement should've been at an all-time high, yet we had very lackluster crowds. As usual, the typical excuses were used, including it still being football season, holidays, exams, etc.

At some point, our fan base needs to decide once and for all that it wants to truly support basketball. Despite it being the second most popular sport at Clemson, there is still a lot of unfulfilled potential IMO when it comes to being supported well.

As someone on another message board pointed out, we had 35,000 fans for the football parade yesterday in Death Valley, yet we couldn't even fill up Littlejohn for a game which immediately followed, against a top 5 ACC foe at that. That's inexcusable.

Re: We should've had better fan support this season

Jan 13, 2019, 3:09 PM

I think the average fan doesn't have faith and they wanted to see if we had anything to get excited about. They don't trust the program at the moment. I agree though that there should have a been a little more. At this stage, I am not that surprised though. I am not shocked at all. Looks like they made the right call too. That was an ugly game.

I think you've hit on something very important.

Jan 13, 2019, 3:12 PM

You said that fans don't trust our program yet. My guess is that recruits don't either. Sure, we had a great year last year, but most people need to see several good years of NCAA appearances to believe that we are becoming a basketball power.

Re: I think you've hit on something very important.

Jan 13, 2019, 3:29 PM

True

I was on campus recently for the first time in a long time,

Jan 14, 2019, 1:33 PM [ in reply to In my opinion, they got us into the top half of the ACC. ]

looking for the new Football Operations Center. I literally drove right by Littlejohn and did not recognize it until I saw the bronze Tiger outside where I had a graduation picture taken many moons ago. It certainly looks completely different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 1:35 PM

I would like to see a VLog showing off the new digs all the way through. Does that exist?

multiple videos out there

Jan 14, 2019, 10:04 AM

produced before the first game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDqFCNMXuuQ

J B-game will show you around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VuZ3K6K61U

or take a tour with D-rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGRq6k90OOA

I've seen all of those videos except JB's tour..

Jan 14, 2019, 12:56 PM

Now. They all show what great facilities we have now. We should definitelly have a better program than two tourneys in 9 years . time to start striving to be a lot better now. Lot of coaches would be impressed what we have to offer.

Re: multiple videos out there

Jan 14, 2019, 1:06 PM [ in reply to multiple videos out there ]

Also when you see empty seats in that middle section at games that is because those are the big donner club seats that those fans have the option to go the club lounge and watch the game. The club lounge holds about 500 or so people. Another reason why they should have the camera facing the opposite end toward the benches.

Re: multiple videos out there

Jan 14, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to multiple videos out there ]

Meh

I can't figure out why we placed the TV cams behind the

Jan 13, 2019, 2:21 PM

benches instead of opposite. Saggy tired booster row in front on the telly for these games instead of a running look at the coaches and benches throughout like pretty much every single other venue. Mind bottling.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can't figure out why we placed the TV cams behind the

Jan 13, 2019, 2:40 PM

It is mind bottling. That wasn't well thought out for the excitement factor. Somebody should landblasted for that.

The locker room is awesome and when

Jan 13, 2019, 2:21 PM

DRad called and asked for a donation, he told us that the facilities would put us in the top tier with the tar holes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic