Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Someone please prove to me that the 4 teams in the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 984

Someone please prove to me that the 4 teams in the

May 29, 2012, 6:34 PM

playoff will be the top 4 ranked teams in the BCS. This seems to be a key component on whether we should play a cupcake schedule for a better chance to go undefeated, or if we should be in Big 12 so 1 or 2 losses isn't as bad.

Last I heard, this has not been decided on yet. Slive wants top 4, but others only want conference champions in. Which, if that's the case, will be either Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, or SEC champions ONLY, thanks to the bowl game they just created and the Rose Bowl.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In either the top 4 period or conf champs if top6 model....

May 29, 2012, 6:48 PM

only one acc team (2007 VT when WVU, Mizzou, and KU all lost late) would have made it in.

If there are any serious financial prizes attached to appearing for leagues to share (think 10-15m or more per team that qualifies) that would add 1m or potentially far more for leagues that consistently qualify or get two in.

It simply adds to the money pie.

If RPI is used the ACC is going to be at a disadvantage compared to the other 4 as it's average BCS computer ranking was 10 spots behind the PAC & B1G and 20 behind the B12 and SEC. Consider that those numbers were reached with UNC and Miami performing above the league average and their likelihood of sanctions taking them down a few pegs and the SOS of competing in the ACC is a big disadvantage.

It could be where the ACC team has to be unbeaten or a 1 loss when lots of teams have losses in order to qualify.

So two big issues:

1- If FSU, VT, or Clemson don't qualify- is the acc completely missing millions as nobody else steps up?

2- Is the SOS of the ACC putting FSU & Clemson at a severe disadvantage relative to other potential qualifiers? (1/2 of the RPI formula is opponent W/L %)

Re: In either the top 4 period or conf champs if top6 model....

May 29, 2012, 7:24 PM

What really is a great disadvantage for the acc. The 9 conference game don't leave much room to schedule tougher OOC games to build our RPI. Again swofford has made it harder for the acc to progress in FB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what is even worse....

May 29, 2012, 7:36 PM

Is that 5 of your 7 fixed ACC opponents finished with a worse BCS computer average than the average for any of the big 4 leagues.

Only NC State and FSU were better. Clemson was but clemson does not play themselves.

Cross division isn't much better. All but VT are worse than 50th over 2010 & 2011 when no top 4 league is that low.

That is an RPI millstone.

Re: Someone please prove to me that the 4 teams in the

May 29, 2012, 6:55 PM

If its the top 4 teams, a cupcake schedule is going to hurt you. They are talking about Strength of Schedule and using an RPI based system, so cupcakes wont get you in the top 4 even if you go undefeated. Slive and Neinas both prefer the top 4 model, the B1G and Pac 12 prefer top 4 conference champs (if in the top 6 of the country). I think in both systems they are doing away with the human polls though.

I could be wrong, just what I remember.

Re: Someone please prove to me that the 4 teams in the

May 29, 2012, 6:56 PM

Likely compromise is top 3 conf champs if in top 6 and then one best remaining team and 2 if only 2 champions are in the top 6.

Are you an OSTRICH.. or what ?

May 29, 2012, 7:29 PM

> playoff will be the top 4 ranked teams in the BCS.
> This seems to be a key component on whether we
> e should play a cupcake schedule for a better chance
> to go undefeated, or if we should be in Big 12 so 1
> or 2 losses isn't as bad.
>
> Last I heard, this has not been decided on yet.
> Slive wants top 4, but others only want conference
> e champions in. Which, if that's the case, will be
> either Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, or SEC champions ONLY,
> thanks to the bowl game they just created and the
> Rose Bowl.

My goodness....playing teams that have 40k stadiums and waiting to be dropped from power conference team schedules (uga, sc, Aub etc) while we hang out and are raped in the account.....is stupid!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 984
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic