Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is the tiring game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 439

This is the tiring game

Jun 16, 2020, 2:01 PM

https://ewerickson.substack.com/p/there-will-be-no-honest-talk-about?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjo2NDczNDMzLCJwb3N0X2lkIjo1NTg5NTEsIl8iOiJ1WW80SyIsImlhdCI6MTU5MjMzMDM4MCwiZXhwIjoxNTkyMzMzOTgwLCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMjc4NDMiLCJzdWIiOiJwb3N0LXJlYWN0aW9uIn0.C1ZDGGEtIFWVTXehVf-iMAc8rFDlvwCmryycC44CrQI

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The tiring game is that someone's always gonna complain?

Jun 16, 2020, 2:14 PM

If you're going to wade into controversial waters, there's literally nothing you can do or say that someone won't disagree with. It's disingenuous to say we can't have an honest conversation just because some fringe people are going to complain. This just comes across like an attempt to point the finger or an excuse to entirely avoid the discussion. The TLDR version of that blog post is, "Fringe conservative claims real problem is fringe liberals."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Some fringe people are going to complain"

Jun 16, 2020, 2:26 PM

Or you know, burn down your business, wreck your career, beat you with a skateboard, and possibly go after your family.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The blog post was talking about shaming people on twitter.

Jun 16, 2020, 2:33 PM

And since people are going to complain on twitter, we can't have an honest conversation.

I think that's a simplistic summation...

Jun 16, 2020, 2:36 PM

what is your take on Dabo's treatment on social media and some sports outlets?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My take is Dabo waded into controversial waters and

Jun 16, 2020, 3:01 PM

some people thought what he said was fine and other people complained about it. Just because someone says something isn't good enough doesn't mean it actually isn't good enough. And just because there's disagreement doesn't mean we can't have an honest conversation.

I honestly think a lot of conservatives have a problem with dissent, which is why they need to escape to safe spaces like right wing news outlets, blogs, and radio shows. Even here on Tnet back in the War on Terror days a bunch of conservatives ran off and made a conservatives only board (the "Freedom and Liberty board" or some such nonsense) because they were sick and tired of interacting with moderates and liberals. That's why people complaining on twitter get under Erickson's skin so much. Even after folks on the right try to please folks on the left, some folks on the left still have the gall to complain. So forget it, he gives up trying to have the discussion, which means he's retreating back to his safe space where people can be "honest."

yes...

Jun 16, 2020, 3:13 PM

we have different viewpoints on the "news"

I can understand the latter explanation. I am quite familiar with board you speak of. I have an account on there. Haven't been in years. I don't understand it and while I personally like the people on there, I find it quite boring.

And for the record, I saw that link on an EE email that I have requested to be removed from his email list about 20 times. LOL

wait, there is a Freedom and Liberty board?

Jun 16, 2020, 3:34 PM [ in reply to My take is Dabo waded into controversial waters and ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

In case you haven't noticed, it's gone well beyond

Jun 16, 2020, 3:16 PM [ in reply to The blog post was talking about shaming people on twitter. ]

"complaining on twitter". It's not dissent hating conservatives throwing molotov cocktails and forcing resignations for wrong think.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just saying that that's a whole nother topic.

Jun 16, 2020, 3:44 PM

I'm not gonna defend people throwing molotov cocktails or unilaterally tearing down statues.

How is it a different topic?

Jun 16, 2020, 4:30 PM

You're trying to pretend the only backlash people face is "people complaining on twitter", when they are also getting fired, having their property burned, etc.

I'm trying to understand...

Jun 16, 2020, 2:32 PM [ in reply to The tiring game is that someone's always gonna complain? ]

I was riding along with you until your TLDR interpretation at the end. I have reread it.

Certainly, EE is speaking from a conservative viewpoint, but I would hardly call him "fringe." I'm not a huge fan of his. But he is far from a Hannity or Limbaugh.

I think both sides are too easily offended. People tend to hear what they want (me included). Somebody has to take a step back and listen without trying to apply their own meaning to what they are hearing.

Too often, instead of listening, we are thinking of our response.

EE has a white conservative perspective. He has no other choice because that is his experience. But there is a very real sense that every action, word, and syllable spoken by a white person is being parsed to find racist overtones. I have high esteem for Giglio. His past actions, like Dabo's, show he wants to be a part of the solution. The dangerous place in this whole issue is finding the balance of listening to learn and then being accused of silent support of racism OR speaking out and being accused of performative pandering.

With this article, I disagree with the author. I happen to believe this time is different.

For what it's worth, I disagree with the term "white privilege" but I also think "white blessing" is even more ridiculous. I think a better term is "white advantage." But again, that is my opinion and may be simply semantics.

Hannity, Limbaugh, and Erickson aren't journalists.

Jun 16, 2020, 2:45 PM

I wouldn't even call them pundits. They operate in a hyperpartisan environment that traffics in opinion, exaggeration, and division.

But I'm more interested in what he said than who he is. And what he said came across to me like, "We can't have an honest conversation because even if 98% of people agree with you, 2% won't be satisfied so forget it." Almost everyone is against taking down statues of Lincoln and Washington, for example, and Erickson knows it, which is why he adds, "Yes, in Massachusetts, there are calls to tear down a Lincoln statue." He knows it's hard to believe because almost nobody agrees with that idea. (Also it would have been nice if he linked to what it is he's talking about so people can see for themselves, but he didn't.) Just because someone on the margins has a ridiculous idea doesn't mean people can't have an honest conversation.

I understand whhat you're saying there...

Jun 16, 2020, 3:00 PM

he does give extreme examples on the statues. That really has noting to do with his point and, in fact, diminishes his point (and I say that is his misstep and not an error in your interpretation).

I think his point is made stronger with Giglio's treatment and my example of Dabo. We can disregard it as fringe treatment, but of all social platforms, Twitter is a dumpster fire. The issue is we live in a soundbite society with little context.

But I acknowledge your point that this is the action of a few. While I don't think it is the majority of people, I believe it's spread further than the fringe. Social media has created a lot of attention hoes who have larger platforms than they should.

BLM and Antifa refuse to take...

Jun 16, 2020, 3:29 PM

'yes,' for an answer. Every concession is viewed by them as a gift of more power.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's a link to the Lincoln story from Massachusetts.

Jun 16, 2020, 3:52 PM

"This is not about Lincoln, this is about the figure that’s supposed to represent my people - naked, kneeling in front of him."

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/why-is-he-still-on-his-knees-calls-grow-to-remove-statue-of-lincoln-freed-black-man/2143071/

I have said many times that it's impossible to have an

Jun 16, 2020, 5:09 PM

honest, civil, productive conversation about race. Mainly because one "side" doesn't want a conversation. It's just a one-way, angry blame game with finger-pointing, fist-shaking and demands.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 16
| visibility 439
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic