Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Is the secondary a primary concern?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

New Story: Is the secondary a primary concern?

Jul 10, 2016, 8:01 AM

Is the secondary a primary concern?

There aren’t a lot of question marks for Clemson’s 2016 squad, but the most glaring might just be the secondary.Defensive backs coach Mike Reed lost starters Mackensie Alexander, Jayron Kearse and T.J. Green to the NFL, but some think this year’s secondary could be even better despite the loss of so much talent. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a nut shell

Jul 10, 2016, 8:43 AM

I would say yes!

Just my early input, I think outside of special teams. It's the biggest area of concern.
I would like to think the 2016 defense could be top 10, but right now I don't see that.
And like I stated, just my input. I see maybe top #30. And yes, I see both corner and
safety being an issue early on and believe eventually Mullen lands one of the corner
spots, while Simmons beats out Johnson at safety.
Anyways,
just my thought on it.

With our DL in the backfield all day long

Jul 10, 2016, 8:49 AM

our secondary will be just fine

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we were more proven at DE, sure.

Jul 10, 2016, 8:59 AM

We know what they are capable of, but they still need to go out and prove it on the field.

Re: With our DL in the backfield all day long

Jul 10, 2016, 5:20 PM [ in reply to With our DL in the backfield all day long ]

Exactly, and that's what I've been saying also. Our front 7 creating havoc in the back field, with as good as BV can disguise his blitzes and putting much needed pressure on the QB. BV can and will look like the defensive genus that he really is. In the mean time, everybody in the secondary will be getting better everyday. By the time our opponents lock in to what we were doing to make time to grow up our secondary, we will be ready to let the secondary earn their keep. That is what BV does and has done ever since he has been at Clemson, he has had to rob Peter to pay Paul, and it has been with the secondary most of the time. If our defense doesn't have any serious injuries in the secondary, we will be just fine. But the real deal is that with the high caliber talent that our coaching staff brings in, and with all of them wanting early playing time, they had better be getting there butts ready to do what they were recruited to do, and expected to do, that is play college level FB. Personally, I'm not going to worry about problems until we have a problem!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this DL isn't the same DL as with Vic and Grady, or

Jul 10, 2016, 5:29 PM

with Dodd and Lawson, and our front 4 will not likely be great pass rushers.

In specific, the DL will be great from the inside out, especially with the run, but we don't have anyone it appears

with Grady Jarrett-like quickness to the QB in there.

Wilkins, Lawrence, Pagano and Watkins are all monsters,

but they're not known for speed to the QB.

The 2014 DL, in particular, was able to take pressure off the defensive backfield

because Grady, Deshawn Williams, and Vic were lightning in a bottle.

Pressure came and it came fast.

I doubt this DL will be as effective in taking pressure off the DB's

because they won't be anywhere as fast to the QB as 2014.

Even our most proven commodities at DE - Bryant, Ferrell, and Yeargin -

are going to be at least a step slower to the QB than 2014, if not slower than 2015 even.

That step can make a huge difference with a proven QB.

It's going to be interesting, but

saying that BV is "going to dial up blitzes" isn't the answer - people will adjust.

Face it - 2014's DL was just different....

if there's anyone who fits the 2014 bill

Jul 10, 2016, 5:31 PM

it's Wilkins.

It'd be great if he got 12 or 13 sacks....

Re: this DL isn't the same DL as with Vic and Grady, or

Jul 10, 2016, 10:00 PM [ in reply to this DL isn't the same DL as with Vic and Grady, or ]

You will eat those words. Just wait.

Re: In a nut shell

Jul 10, 2016, 9:01 AM [ in reply to In a nut shell ]

Johnson will be a leader you are put of your mind if you think his spot gets taken

Johnson

Jul 10, 2016, 9:10 AM

we'll see...

;)

Re: Johnson

Jul 10, 2016, 9:23 AM

Simmons does look like a grown man tho I can see him playing early I just don't see him beating out Jadar maybe Van Smith. Either way he will deff contribute early and often.

Jadar is lock to start as you stated. There isn't even..

Jul 10, 2016, 9:29 AM

a slim chance he gets beat out barring injuries. He is a good one and will have a great year.

Re: Jadar is lock to start as you stated. There isn't even..

Jul 10, 2016, 10:43 AM

Yes I believe he is poised for an All-ACC type season.

Re: Jadar is lock to start as you stated. There isn't even..

Jul 11, 2016, 6:18 PM

Hope you don't bet the farm on that 1.

Jul 10, 2016, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: In a nut shell ]

Agree - no way you can play without a nut shell or a Johnson.

Jul 10, 2016, 9:34 AM [ in reply to In a nut shell ]

I have more confidence in the DL and LBs than last year... I think by the end of the year our DBs will be better than last year. I think we will have a top 10 D. I say this because I do not think any team will be able to block our DTs without doubling them and our DEs are fast, our LB corp may be the best since the 80s. Of course injuries can torpedo any season but I like our depth on defense better this year than any year in the last 20.

The Secondary

Jul 10, 2016, 9:39 AM

I can see some of that, but I still think our Dbs go through some growing pains early.

AND YES, I STILL LIKE SIMMONS MOVING INTO THE STARTING ROLE BY MID SEASON.

Re: The Secondary

Jul 10, 2016, 9:46 AM

Other than Tankersly and Johnson, I have no idea who starts, I would not be surprised if Wiggens is starting at one safety at some point. What I see is we have more talent not starting than we have ever had at DB... growing pains I can see... but I think we may double the #ints by the end of season compared to last year.

Jul 10, 2016, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: In a nut shell ]

Yep, that goes for any team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Given our frequent confusion and busts in the secondary

Jul 10, 2016, 10:36 AM [ in reply to In a nut shell ]

when we were loaded with talent last year, it seems likely that, absent much of that talent and experience, the secondary will be a relative weakness. Some of the guys that are now upperclassmen simply lack the talent to step in and be difference makers.

Thankfully, we don't play a lot of great passing teams, but look for Auburn to try to lull us with their running game and hit some big deep passes against a relatively inexperienced secondary.

Mike Reed has his work cut out for him, but the consistent confusion in the secondary last year, even with all of that talent and experience, does not bode well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Given our frequent confusion and busts in the secondary

Jul 10, 2016, 10:47 AM

Well the way be play D there is always going to be busted coverages and big plays. You can't play attacking D without getting beat sometimes. While some plays were on the players being out of position other were just sometimes the O gets the right call against our D. I love the way we play I will give up a few big plays for all the TFLs and 3 and outs we cause.

Unfortunately, as we saw against ND, UNC, SC and to

Jul 10, 2016, 11:07 AM

a lesser extent Alabama, it can allow teams back in games that should have been put away. Many of those touchdowns took less than two minutes of game clock. Three of those games were on replay this week. I think people forgot how close those games were and how lucky we were to win some games this past year. Now that we've lost all of that talent and experience, it's probably unrealistic to expect improved play out of the group. Other than SC, those were the best passing teams we played last year. We are susceptible to good passing teams, but fortunately, we don't have many on the schedule this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately, as we saw against ND, UNC, SC and to

Jul 10, 2016, 12:01 PM

Yep we deff have to play better with the lead. It seems as if we let off some on D once we got up. We need to be dominate for 60 min every game we play. I believe we will I know our boys are hungry.

Jul 10, 2016, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Given our frequent confusion and busts in the secondary ]

That is what makes a top defense, and that's putting a lot of pressure on with the front 7. Do that and it cuts the QB time in half to make the right decisions. I think that is why it's said that games are won and lost in the trenches!!!

I can see us possibly just taking a step back at cb.

Jul 10, 2016, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Given our frequent confusion and busts in the secondary ]

Obviously we won't just replace Alexander. That said, maybe a Wiggins(?) and Jadar Johnson might be as good as Kearse and Green? You just never know. It wouldn't completely shock me.

Re: I can see us possibly just taking a step back at cb.

Jul 10, 2016, 11:43 AM

Realistically, I see no way we don't take a small step back in the secondary. There's just so much inexperience back there. Joseph replacing Goodson scares me too. I know Joseph was the clubhouse leader after the 2015 spring, but Goodson was just so doggone good. Hopefully we'll pull it all together before we make the trip to Tallahassee.

I was talking the scondary and not LB

Jul 10, 2016, 11:50 AM

I think the LB position will have more quality depth and might be better by years end. Time will tell. Goodson was great though. I agree. That said, I was thinking of the secondary.

Jul 10, 2016, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: I can see us possibly just taking a step back at cb. ]

KJ will be just fine in the middle.

Jul 10, 2016, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Re: I can see us possibly just taking a step back at cb. ]

<<
Realistically, I see no way we don't take a small step back in the secondary.
>>

McKensie is gone and may be the best we have ever had at CB. Tankersly will be better than at the beginning of last year. I hope our safeties will be better, and I am sure they will be better at the end of the season than Kearse and Green.

Who ever takes the field in McKensies spot will have more interceptions than Mackensie did!

Jul 10, 2016, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Given our frequent confusion and busts in the secondary ]

We did not have a lot of depth in the secondary last year, especially at safety.

Re: New Story: Is the secondary a primary concern?

Jul 10, 2016, 9:49 AM

We have quality and talented depth like we haven't had since DF. It will be fun to watch all this competition from these gifted athletes. I see us being a very special team far into the future with talented players coming in, stepping up and some moving up and out every year. No more "rebuilding", but rather "reloading" every year. Get used to it, and enjoy. This ride is going to be so fun, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No but when will u write an article

Jul 10, 2016, 10:23 AM

About the cluster special team concern that cost us a national title?!

Jul 10, 2016, 10:27 AM

I completely agree with Tankersley. I think this year's secondary will be better than last year. Yes, Mackensie is a superstar, but look what happened when he got hurt in the Natty. Yes, Green came out of nowhere but Jayron is/was just lazy. All the ability and an absolute monster of a physical specimen. But he was just downright lazy the second half of the season and some would argue all season. Nobody is better than Mackensie, and while early on, this group might not be better, I really expect them to be better as a group by mid-season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mullen is as talented/gifted/athletic as Mac

Jul 10, 2016, 11:21 PM

If Mullen has half the work ethic and determination that Mac had he will be just as good in my opinion. Mac was on a different level than everyone else when it came to putting in the extra work to be great. You have to remember that Mac also had a year to grow,develop, and learn the system bc of the injury his true freshman year. Mullen will be playing right out of HS. If you watch his film, he just glides all over the field.

Korrin Wiggins?

Jul 11, 2016, 10:40 AM

Really think Korrin isn't getting enough love. Brings back tons of experience (>800 snaps) and will be our most versatile DB (SAM, nickel, FS) when healthy

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2016, 12:45 PM

Not worried about the secondary nearly as much as I am special teams.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic