Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it possible that Battle saw the writing on the wall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Is it possible that Battle saw the writing on the wall

Jun 30, 2015, 12:05 PM

And realized that by mid season he may have lost his starter's role to Mitch.

I know his need for a paycheck made the decision for him, but it is interesting that he
decide to leave because of a baby that's due this summer. He would have known about it was on the way last winter before the regular draft.

Maybe, and let's hope so, Mitch is a beast, and Battle saw his future stock dropping. We could be in great shape a LT

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it possible that Battle saw the writing on the wall

Jun 30, 2015, 12:05 PM

no

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think so either.

Jun 30, 2015, 12:09 PM

Starting is a big deal but it's not as though having a good backup is much more than being a good backup.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what I heard, that baby arriving is a

Jun 30, 2015, 12:08 PM

"smokescreen" and the sweet leaf is the real reason he had to move on.

Jun 30, 2015, 12:11 PM

He didn't leave for a paycheck, he got kicked out of school. It didn't matter what he read he was gone.

No***

Jun 30, 2015, 12:18 PM

Jun 30, 2015, 12:18 PM

Sorry, but...no.

Friend of mine linked this the other day. End-zone perspective is actually the best for evaluating OL. Battle's on the white team, Hyatt the orange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6yTi5OAAuE

Hyatt held up...decently, did some tremendous things. For a true freshman. But Battle looks like a flat-out monster in comparison. You can see the difference in physical development...which is not surprising, considering one guy was a rising senior in college, whereas Hyatt should have still been in high school at the time.

Battle was going to start...and no, I don't think Hyatt was going to unseat him this year. There's just a physical gulf there that was probably going to take Hyatt probably a good year or even two to close.

Can Hyatt get it done? I think so - he really was impressive given his age - but Battle looks like a guy who was going to be a top-three-rounds-in-the-draft-type NFL left tackle. Clemson will miss him...and Battle is going to miss that showcase season. Not really any good face to put on this one; everybody lost, here.

Everybody did lose. I hope the rest of the team

Jun 30, 2015, 12:25 PM

has learned by example.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2015, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it possible that Battle saw the writing on the wall ]

there's a huge difference with Hyatt going against a potential all-american (lawson) and Battle going against some one who hasn't played a down of college football (yergan )

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

This hurt - there's just no way to get around it.

Jun 30, 2015, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it possible that Battle saw the writing on the wall ]

I'm not saying it's the end of the world; Hyatt is going to be a good one, I'm sure, but we just lost our best offensive linemen, and there is no way in #### to spin that into a good thing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

After watching that, I can't disagree.***

Jun 30, 2015, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it possible that Battle saw the writing on the wall ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Battle has always "looked" the part ...

Jun 30, 2015, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it possible that Battle saw the writing on the wall ]

... and sometimes he even played the part.

We lose a talented, but somewhat lackadaisical senior who gave questionable effort and whose head did not always appear to be in the game.

In exchange, do we gain a truly focused freshman with a very high football IQ, exceptional talent, and a tremendous desire to excel?

If there is a silver lining at all to Battle's departure it's that Hyatt now get's a head start on growing into a role that would have been his eventually.

Umm, no

Jun 30, 2015, 5:43 PM

We already had the freshman. We simply lose our starting senior LT (the best OL we had) and our depth takes a major hit. This is in no way a positive, but I admire the determination some of you have to spin this into something good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree ... no way to candy-coat the loss in depth ... my only

Jul 1, 2015, 12:11 PM

argument is that Battle while talented and experienced, often failed to play up to his potential.

It was reassuring to have a senior with lots of playing time manning the critical LT position, but the truth is that in spite of his long tenure with the team, Battle was frequently a no-show during critical plays and he missed several entire games due to disciplinary action.

I'm just not convinced he was going to be a player we could count on to consistently perform like the seasoned veteran he was supposed to be.

No question that Battle was going to start and get all the 1st team reps in practice, but he was notorious for not taking practice seriously. He was going to take the field as the starting LT even though he was just one angry moment away from ejection. He was going to keep Hyatt on the bench until he got that "third strike" that we now know was simmering just under the surface.

Personally, I do not think Battle would have survived the season without getting into trouble and when that happened he was going to be gone anyway. And even if he stays out of serious trouble, I honestly could see Hyatt beginning to take snaps away from Battle once the season got into full swing. If and when that happened, I don't think Battle would have responded positively to a freshman moving in on his playing time. If Hyatt had actually moved ahead of Battle, I really can't see Battle having the fortitude or team spirit to provide back-up depth as a senior after losing his position. I think he would have quit. IMHO, Battle is no Cole Stoudt.

The physical difference is dramatic. Lower body strength is

Jun 30, 2015, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it possible that Battle saw the writing on the wall ]

not even close to Battle's. Battle is just a uniquely large human being built to be an NFL tackle.

Hyatt's lack of lower body strength shows when he just falls to the ground without a lot of contact from the defensive end. I know it's Shaq Lawson, but, still. Too easy. You just can't expect an 18 year old kid to compete consistently well against 22-23 year old men.

We couldn't afford losses at left tackle, defensive end, and kicker and that is exactly what has happened and we still have August camp to get through. No matter how much we rationalize and justify in the preseason, these types of losses always end up costing us at least a game or two. Hopefully, no more than that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The coots are gonna love this pile of BS.***

Jun 30, 2015, 12:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: The coots are gonna love this pile of BS.***

Jun 30, 2015, 12:59 PM

Screw the coots. I'm just having fun and hoping for the best. I know losing Battle was a big deal but hey, its a message board. Sometimes its nice to pose a ridiculous question.

Na, Battle didn't leave bc he was going to lose his job

Jun 30, 2015, 3:22 PM

While I think Hyatt may eventually be good, we now have nobody on the roster who's ever played in college at one of the most important positions on the field- a position where freshman rarely play. Battle wasn't an All-American or anything last year, but he was more than good enough not to be worried about people who'd never played before taking his spot.

We can be optimistic about Hyatt's future without being delusional about the challenging situation we're in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Na, Battle didn't leave bc he was going to lose his job

Jun 30, 2015, 4:56 PM

"We can be optimistic about Hyatt's future without being delusional about the challenging situation we're in."

Well said.

In NO WAY does losing a LT help. Depth issues alone make...

Jun 30, 2015, 3:30 PM

this very concerning.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2015, 5:00 PM

He was caught smoking weed and was going to get kicked off the team...that's why he left.

Jun 30, 2015, 7:18 PM

agree! last time I was in jail there was no handwriting on the wall. drug users and those arrested and bring disgrace to the U and the team need to go to Louisville. What do Battle, Ogo, and Chad Kelly all have in common? Disgraceful.

dr

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic