Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After 5 years it’s time to do away with CFP committee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

After 5 years it’s time to do away with CFP committee

Nov 27, 2018, 11:00 PM

Theatrics and move to set criteria. The committee is completely flawed and has no real criteria, selecting Ohio State over Penn State, when Penn State beat them head to head and won the B1G is just one example. Then you have the weekly ranking that mean absolutely nothing until the last one, this had to be an ESPN idea.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After 5 years it’s time to do away with CFP committee

Nov 27, 2018, 11:05 PM

Agreed. Good to have a human element, but should be equal weighted composite of advanced metrics, coaches poll and committee. Or something similar.

From what they say they have all the metrics and stats

Nov 27, 2018, 11:17 PM

Re: From what they say they have all the metrics and stats

Nov 27, 2018, 11:31 PM

Yes they do and last week those metrics said Michigan was #4 and had the best defense. How did that workout? The game is played on the field not a computer, conference championship should matter, otherwise why play the game.

lol I wasn't saying it should be based on computer rankings

Nov 27, 2018, 11:34 PM

Re: From what they say they have all the metrics and stats

Nov 28, 2018, 12:49 AM [ in reply to Re: From what they say they have all the metrics and stats ]

correct,, but after their loss they dropped mich out of the running. It's not perfect, but much better than the BCS

Nov 27, 2018, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: After 5 years it’s time to do away with CFP committee ]

They should only invite conference champions.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:09 PM

Ohio St lost 1 game that year and Penn St lost 2.

Two-loss teams have difficult arguments.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:23 PM

There should be no argument, you don’t win your conference you stay home.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:10 PM

Why would you say ESECPN idea?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2018, 11:16 PM

Because of that stupid weekly rankings show, only a TV person would have come up with that idea.

Why are you guys worried about this?

Nov 27, 2018, 11:11 PM

Re: Why are you guys worried about this?

Nov 27, 2018, 11:21 PM

Yes, but what you say when they leave us out for a team that didn’t make their conference championship game and we won ours?

Well for one I'll worry about that if and when it happens

Nov 27, 2018, 11:26 PM

Re: Well for one I'll worry about that if and when it happens

Nov 28, 2018, 12:03 AM

The biggest mistake is to even consider Notre Dame. It isn't fair to teams that are in a conference but with a 1 loss season to be left out bc a rogue team that makes more money than conference teams that has to risk a loss by playing for the conference championship. Bama is and has been as good a team as any in college FB that I believe would drag ND in any match up any time of the season. But Bama has to play UGA that is just as much a rival game with Bama as Aubarn, and if the cards fall right for UGA they are capable of beating Bama, and Bama, a team that ND can't beat, could be kicked out of the playoffs, and ND that doesn't have to risk anything in a playoff game bc they don't have a conference to compete in. I know that it's my opinion, but ND hasn't and won't play a conference championship game as every other team that makes the playoffs will have to take the risk of getting knocked out of the playoffs bc they have to play a conference championship game while ND gets the extra time for getting their team healed and rested over every team in the playoffs, and it's wrong for them to even be considered. They should have to make the choice of all the money that NBC pays them, or join a conference and earn their way into the playoffs. The money from NBC, or the right to play for a NC, don't allow them to have it both ways bc, both ways is absolutely unfair to all the other conference teams!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well for one I'll worry about that if and when it happens

Nov 28, 2018, 1:15 AM

ND has played the same number of P5 teams as Bama and Clemson. The 13th game for Bama was the Citadel and for Clemson it was Furman. Heck, ND played and beat 2 of the teams that are playing for a conference championship this weekend.

The anger about needing to win a conference to get in is short sighted IMO. Clemson lost a conference game in 2016 and 2017. Were we more deserving of making the playoffs because the conference teams we lost to didn’t have records good enough to finish ahead of us in our division unlike Penn State over Ohio State, and Auburn over Bama? So basically we deserved it more than those teams because the teams we lost to sucked more?

So if the same Syracuse team we lost to last year had been good enough to go at least 7-1 in the ACC then we no longer would’ve deserved a playoff spot? But we did deserve one because the team we lost to finished with a losing record instead of being a top 10 team? That makes sense...

Nov 27, 2018, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Why are you guys worried about this? ]

And if they don't jump OU over ND to give Bama the easier game, it's an odd quirk of the CFP that we will have played all four of our semi-final games against a team that had the luxury of not playing in a conference championship game.

NO OTHER TEAM IN THE COUNTRY has had to do that, even once. Just us. Four times (maybe).

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 28, 2018, 1:21 AM

I really don’t see how it matters. I could see it if the games were played a week after the conference championship games, but having 5 weeks off compared to 4? It’s not like we would’ve magically beaten Bama last year if we could’ve skipped our game against Miami.

Nov 28, 2018, 3:48 AM

Everyone needs to stop looking for fairness. Whatever that is. Fairness has nothing to do with it. CFP is owned and operated by 10 Conferences and Notre Dame. And they've got a deal with TV and Bowl owners where the committee will pick what they believe to be the four best teams to play each other. Simple as that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2018, 6:41 AM

All this is just funny to me, ND talk is way too funny. Say NW wins the Big14, you really think they should be in the CFP. Come on!!! In reality the system works well but would be far better with 8 teams. Like the article on SI , do away with Conference CG and start the CFP that weekend with higher rated teams playing at hme. Align the schedules to play the teams in your Conference and there you go. Far better, brings 1 round to the top 4 teams home campus, who of you would not like a 1st round game at DV?

Nov 28, 2018, 7:15 AM

The big Bowls would be trashed. And for many rea$$$$$$$$$ones that will not happen...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You said "the system works well..."

Nov 28, 2018, 7:17 AM [ in reply to Re: After 5 years it’s time to do away with CFP committee ]

problem is, there is NOT a system. Let's face it: the CFP gets together and decides who the best four teams are, then comes up with a way to put those four teams in the playoffs. I don't really have a problem with that, if you assume that the Committee is best-suited to determine the best four teams... my problem is with the four weeks of absolute BS leading up to it, shuffling teams around like a Rubik's cube... but in the end, it's all about TV revenues and ESPiN having something to talk about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You said "the system works well..."

Nov 28, 2018, 7:56 AM

What sport isn't about money?

incorrect. Its about the 4 Best Teams. PSU had 2 losses***

Nov 28, 2018, 8:32 AM

Best Is The Standard

In America.........

Nov 28, 2018, 8:37 AM

....we let a jury of 12 or 13 people from all walks of life decide whether or not we're going to sentence a person to death or life in prison or to say nevermind and let them go scot free. That jury gets to do what they want to do.

If such a committee is ok to decide life or death issues, I think a similar committee can pick four teams for a football playoff. They don't need to publish criteria for the rest of the world to use to pick apart their decision after the fact. What's the big difference about arguing over criteria or arguing over teams picked?

And the talk the picks generate is good for college football. In case you haven't noticed, the picking committee often picks Clemson. I like'em.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic