Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Dabo weighs in on uniform debate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 89
| visibility 51

Front Page Story: Dabo weighs in on uniform debate

Oct 18, 2012, 10:31 AM

Dabo weighs in on uniform debate

The debate rages on Clemson message boards each week during football season as fans wonder what uniform combination the Tigers will be sporting on Saturday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. We won't do that.***

Oct 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No. We won't do that.***

Oct 18, 2012, 10:36 AM

Love that quote.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2012, 11:06 AM

He should've bashed the NFL for wearing pink during the month of October, I mean really- why do these teams take all their national exposure and bring recognition to such causes as Breast Cancer and Wounded Warriors.....and NASCAR, why do you care about autism, your drivers dont have it-- and why would one of the largest fan base in the country need to know about it, it only affects every 1 in 88 people, surely they'd figure it out on their own...All of these teams should certainly put tradition over these terrible, terrible causes, or at the very least the fans should bash other teams for it because at the end of the day they cant comprehend that there are far more terrible things at the end of the day than what the scoreboard reads at the end of the 4th.

Settle down, Beavis.

Oct 18, 2012, 11:10 AM

That ain't what he said. That's what YOU said.

I thought that the uniforms that Chicken State wore were horrendous. For a good cause? Sure. No problem with the intent. The execution was horrible.

Find something else to get mad about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont think the #### uniform was for a good cause

Oct 18, 2012, 11:11 AM

I never saw anything about that. They were just cause. They have in the past done awful things in the name of Wounded Warrior

Watching that game, I kind of wondered...

Oct 18, 2012, 11:35 AM

...if the coots have a chant similar to our "Orange!" "White!" thing that we do. And if so, would they change it to:

"Some sort of cammo pattern that I don't think any country's military, let alone ours, actually wears...I dunno, maybe Sweden or something!"
"Gray!"
"Some sort of cammo pattern that I don't think any country's military, let alone ours, actually wears...I dunno, maybe Sweden or something!"
"Gray!"

Might be tough to fit all that on a placard, though.

We don't have to tell them what color they are wearing,

Oct 18, 2012, 11:48 AM

they know their colors. I think that solves the problem. Dabo says y'all are 17-0 in Orange and White. That's the problem with Purple(Regalia), they get confused because y'all are yelling Orange/White.

Re: Watching that game, I kind of wondered...

Oct 18, 2012, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Watching that game, I kind of wondered... ]

Their fans can't read all that!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for that! LMAO***

Oct 18, 2012, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Watching that game, I kind of wondered... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Re: Watching that game, I kind of wondered...

Oct 20, 2012, 12:18 AM [ in reply to Watching that game, I kind of wondered... ]

Has ya talking about it.....Bingo!!

They auctioned them off for the wounded warrior project.***

Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 PM [ in reply to I dont think the #### uniform was for a good cause ]

Re: I dont think the #### uniform was for a good cause

Oct 18, 2012, 10:02 PM [ in reply to I dont think the #### uniform was for a good cause ]

The announcers said it was for Wounded Warrier, and they would be auctioned off after that game.

Re: Settle down, Beavis.

Oct 18, 2012, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Settle down, Beavis. ]

at the end of the day, ### cares what unis any team wears? These type of discussions should be reserved for the Lingerie Bowl.

Oct 18, 2012, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: No. We won't do that.*** ]

My Wounded Warrior cousin thought the chicken uniforms were ugly... I guess by your reasoning he doesn't support the cause.

Oct 18, 2012, 11:25 AM

The unis were hiddeous, what they look like were never part of any reasoning....

^^^###?^^^***

Oct 18, 2012, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: No. We won't do that.*** ]

I think we have offended a cockfan.***

Oct 18, 2012, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: No. We won't do that.*** ]

A side note on the NFL Pink....

Oct 18, 2012, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: No. We won't do that.*** ]

to me that is the biggest fad out there. Breast Cancer Awareness and Susan G Komen is big time fad and a socially 'cool' thing to support. I cannot understand how it got so big.

NFL should also wear blue in November for Prostate Cancer and red in another month for the largest killer, men and women, in the country...heart disease.

Its good all the support breast cancer gets, but its no doubt a fad.

I support it because I like boobies and I want to save them.***

Oct 18, 2012, 2:03 PM

Red in February for Heart Month - Super Bowl?***

Oct 18, 2012, 10:04 PM [ in reply to A side note on the NFL Pink.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2012, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: No. We won't do that.*** ]

Dabo didn't bash anything, although I gather that he didn't care much for the coot uni's. I really doubt there were many in the world who did like them. The thought of teams supporting causes is a good thing, though, and if anybody would want to help someone other than himself, I would bet it would be Dabo Swinney.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2012, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: No. We won't do that.*** ]

Wow, dude. What got under your skin? I'm sure no animal skins are used in our football uniforms.
However, I hope we damage some hokies this weekend, in our non-statement uniforms.
Let it go Louie :)

SO MUCH FOR BLACK OUTS***

Oct 18, 2012, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: No. We won't do that.*** ]

Tweet that!!***

Oct 18, 2012, 11:40 AM [ in reply to No. We won't do that.*** ]

Re:Not just NO, But H&ll NO we will never look that foolish!

Oct 18, 2012, 12:40 PM [ in reply to No. We won't do that.*** ]

HB

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other words, "It's football, not fashion week, you momos"***

Oct 18, 2012, 10:35 AM

but

I want to know what color socks and wrist bands they are going to wear!!!

;)

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

OK, Richard Simmons***

Oct 19, 2012, 4:43 PM

But in 2008, Dabo was a hero for inspiring the kids with

Oct 18, 2012, 11:18 AM [ in reply to In other words, "It's football, not fashion week, you momos"*** ]

purple. Consistency is so rare these days.

what gets me...

Oct 18, 2012, 11:50 AM

is alot of fans on here,no pun intended...are for
TRADITION, as long as its something they can relate
to.

In 2008, he was new and needed ways to motivate and

Oct 18, 2012, 1:15 PM [ in reply to But in 2008, Dabo was a hero for inspiring the kids with ]

inspire. Now that he has everyone's respect, he can say - No gimics, let's just play football!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not just NO, but

Oct 18, 2012, 10:35 AM

H3ll NO!!

We will not wear any junk like the coots wore last week!!

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re:slow hand clap here

for not wearing junk unis like SC did last week. Dabo I'd give you a million thumbs up for putting the gimmick uni thing to rest

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:slow hand clap here

Oct 18, 2012, 10:45 AM

Amen to that. I hope that the fashion police will take note of what the head coach has said. It AIN'T important what color the unis are but it is important what goes into those pants! GO DABO! 18 and 0 after saturday.

Where's Stanley Tiger

Oct 19, 2012, 4:45 PM

when you really need him?

I love the emphasis on building the Clemson brand. Sure

Oct 18, 2012, 10:48 AM

Oregon can get away with the whacky stuff. Wearing a different, crazy, uniform every single game basically IS their brand. People know them for that, and know about the Nike connection, and that basically is the identity of Oregon football right now.

That isn't the case with other schools. Maryland is trying it right now with their UnderArmor thing, and i think it's pretty much been a spectacular failure so far, and i hope it continues to be a spectacular failure.

As for Clemson, I don't have a problem with purple every once in a while (as long as it isn't paired with orange), but i want to see us playing in Orange and White, and i want those jerseys to be iconic.

"I felt like we needed to re-create our brand......"

Oct 18, 2012, 10:48 AM

Exactly! Clemson's BRAND is orange. When people see orange they should think CLEMSON.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:I agree I want our brand to be Orange and killer

Oct 18, 2012, 10:50 AM

defense. I hope we can return that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen!***

Oct 18, 2012, 10:52 AM

I say orange jerseys with white pants!

Oct 18, 2012, 10:50 AM

It is the most pretty and cool look'in.....

ALL ORANGE!***

Oct 18, 2012, 10:51 AM

Re: ALL ORANGE!***

Oct 18, 2012, 11:01 AM

My only comment about wearing ALL ORANGE - if you are going to wear that, you'd better bring your "A" game. Don't come out flat in ALL ORANGE. Not acceptable.

Concerning UCS's uniform choice last weekend,

Oct 18, 2012, 10:52 AM

I would go hug Dabo if he would have said, "You can't polish a turd!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I don't really care for cardinal red and gold either***

Oct 18, 2012, 10:58 AM

"When people see Clemson they know what they are looking at"

Oct 18, 2012, 10:53 AM

Exactly!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: "When people see Clemson they know what they are looking at"

Oct 18, 2012, 11:02 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!Orange tops and white bottoms @ home;;; all white on the road!!! some time for special games Orange pants @ home

Right!

Oct 18, 2012, 11:16 AM

Why would you ever want to change something that works so well and is...perfect!?!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I appreciate Dabo's firm grasp of the branding aspect of our

Oct 18, 2012, 11:21 AM [ in reply to "When people see Clemson they know what they are looking at" ]

program. Keeping it classic and consistent during our national ramp up phase will pay huge dividends. I like the purple and see nothing wrong with us featuring it, but I like keeping it simple for now while the nation gets to know Clemson better, provided we keep winning games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that the coaches and players need to focus on the

Oct 18, 2012, 10:54 AM

game and leave the color thing up to the fans (just to have something to talk about---don't get too serious about it). But I do disagree with Dabo on one point, our brand is OUT THERE! When people see The Paw, they KNOW who it is!!!! WE ARE CLEMSON whether we are in orange, white or purple! GO TIGERS BEAT THE hokies!!

100% behind this

Oct 18, 2012, 11:00 AM

I've said before I love the purple jerseys as much as anyone, but would be fine seeing it only once every couple of years. Looks like Dabo's opened that window for when the time is right--I can get behind that.

If we ever break out grey uniforms and camouflage pants, please just shoot me.

RE: 100% behind this

Oct 18, 2012, 11:10 AM

As much as I hate the shamecocks, I did kind of like the gray jersey. And I really liked that they lost while wearing that uniform.

The Gray was okay, The pants were awful

Oct 18, 2012, 11:17 AM

I dont want to see us wearing Gray, its not even close to any color of ours, but its not a stretch for them.

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo weighs in on uniform debate

Oct 18, 2012, 11:00 AM

LOL no we wont do that. Thats why we love Dabo

I am thinking orange bottoms....

Oct 18, 2012, 11:02 AM
clemson2.jpg(21.8 K)

I boo this becuase of no

Oct 18, 2012, 11:17 AM

nudal frontity. ;)

I really could care less about what we wear as long as we

Oct 18, 2012, 11:03 AM

are playing well. I've always been a fan of the purple - i love the all purple and purple tops, white pants. But last season we didn't see any purple and managed to win the ACC Championship for the first time since 1991 and had a 10 win season. This year, we haven't seen any purple either and we are 5-1 and ranked as high as number 13. I'll trust Dabo to make those decisions. I just want to win football games, and I really don't care what we do it in......

Oct 18, 2012, 11:03 AM

The man knows how to explain things so that even I can understand, what a great communicator.

Standing ovation...

Oct 18, 2012, 11:04 AM

for those last 3 paragraphs. Well said!

Now if he'd just ban the WOOHOO...........

Oct 18, 2012, 11:09 AM

and beat SCU the universe would be back to normal.

Oct 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
image.jpeg(72.8 K)

....when we crushed GA Tech 39-3 wearing purple

I believe that was 2003 . . .

Oct 18, 2012, 11:15 AM

So let's not completely throw purple under the bus

home should be Orange jersey/white pants unless

its the coots, then break out the orange britches. Road should be all white. I hate that purple crap.

Re: home should be Orange jersey/white pants unless

Oct 18, 2012, 11:24 AM

I agree with you. I don't hate the purple so much as I think, lets keep it simple and just win.

My opinion, FWIW...

I don't care much for the purple jerseys at all. In any circumstance. I understand it's a (tertiary) school color, so it doesn't really offend my sensibilities as such, I just don't think they look that good.

My preferred scenarios...
"Normal" home games: orange jersey/white pants

"Big" home games: All orange, but I prefer the Danny philosophy of only breaking them out for important games and only when the team has earned the right to wear them (open to interpretation on both of course). I just want orange pants to mean something special again, ya know?

"Normal" road games: All white, baby! I just love the look. It just says, "Nope, nothing special about us...we're just here to wreck your house and go home. All in a day's work."

"Big" road games: Ranked opponent, bowl game, rival team, Thursday night, or whatever. White jerseys and purple pants. If you're going to mix in purple, then this is the most tasteful combo.

And I'm sure everyone here agrees... Don't jack with the helmets. Ever. Well, I guess a throwback helmet is fine for one game every couple of years or so. But please, for the love of Pete, no new designs like Maryland or GT have been goofing with. Teams with no real tradition or identity need gimmicks like that. Clemson's brand is fine the way it is.

Re: My opinion, FWIW...

Oct 18, 2012, 11:38 AM

I agree with 100% on what you said

Agree***

Oct 18, 2012, 11:40 AM [ in reply to My opinion, FWIW... ]

Dabo is handling uniforms very well in my opinion.

Oct 18, 2012, 11:44 AM

Taking it out of the player's hands is a great idea. He understands that a school's tradition is bigger than the individuals. When a school starts trying to get cute with uniforms, it's like they are trying to distract everyone from something. His comment about Clemson being a brand is a great point. Clemson is Orange. Purple is a Clemson color, but those who say it's just as much of a Clemson color as Orange are painfully wrong.

Clemson needs to focus on toughening up its football product, before we get cute with uniforms again. All orange is our war paint. I still don't think we have earned to wear them. Maybe we should retire them until we beat the coots again.

Yea,the ORANGE makes ya tough?

Oct 18, 2012, 11:48 AM

(sarcasim)

It's not the color that is tough, it's the concept that

Oct 18, 2012, 11:56 AM

Danny Ford created that is now associated with all orange. All meaningful traditions grow from something. Our tradition of the orange pants is much more than pants of a certain color. The whole reason we love college football is all the subtle, difficult to explain things.

You are THE MAN Dabo, keep it up! We dont need any

Oct 18, 2012, 11:45 AM

cheesy ### gimmicky uniforms!

For those of you who don't like uniform changes

Oct 18, 2012, 11:46 AM

there are schools out there with ALOTTTTTTTTTTTT
more tradition than Clemson who are making uniform
changes.

and this..."I think its a distraction"...(thats crap)
IMO*

No one has ALOTTTTT more tradition than we do.

Oct 18, 2012, 11:59 AM

I put our traditions and our uniqueness up against anyone in the country.

I'm sorry....

Oct 18, 2012, 4:01 PM

I love the Tigers too,but...apparently you haven't been watching CFB very long?

Yes, that's it. I have not been watching CFB very long.***

Oct 18, 2012, 5:09 PM

Re: For those of you who don't like uniform changes

Oct 18, 2012, 12:01 PM [ in reply to For those of you who don't like uniform changes ]

When you are winning don't change anything, leave it alone

Our basic uniform combo has been around since the 70s

Oct 18, 2012, 12:33 PM [ in reply to For those of you who don't like uniform changes ]

There aren't many schools that can say that.

Alabama
LSU
TN
Auburn
UGA
UNC
Clemson
FSU
Penn St
Ohio St
USC
UCLA
Oklahoma

I'm sure there are others but that is a pretty impressive list of those that understand the consistent brand.

Take UNC off of the list

Oct 18, 2012, 1:42 PM

Their logo has changed, and so has their helmet color. Used to be white helmet with the letters U, N, C, in a diagonal orientation.

oregon has tons of unis

Oct 18, 2012, 11:47 AM

and picking which ones to wear dont seem to distract them.

oh just get over it.***

Oct 18, 2012, 12:51 PM

but the point is, their players don't even think about it

Oct 19, 2012, 9:33 AM [ in reply to oregon has tons of unis ]

they know every week they're going to be a wearing a different uni than before, so it's not really on their minds. if you do like we've done in the past, the players ARE thinking about the uni's. there's a difference

Uniform debates are for beyotches!!!***

Oct 18, 2012, 12:29 PM

Oct 18, 2012, 12:31 PM

Purple is horrible, keep the Ford era uniforms going!

Right On Dabo...Nuff said! Play ball & win first. ***

Oct 18, 2012, 1:14 PM

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so in other words...

Oct 18, 2012, 1:53 PM

all of the people/fans that keep talking about the uniforms...you're just a distraction!

Let those who decide that decide it and just pull for the Tigers to win no matter what! Go Tigers!

RUMOR...

Oct 18, 2012, 4:03 PM

soooo.....All Purple this Saturday? ;)

........SOUNDS LIKE WERE WEARING PURPLE TO ME THEN

Oct 18, 2012, 6:11 PM

null

Traditional Orange/White combos have been great. Especially

Oct 18, 2012, 6:31 PM

when we are taking care of business like we should, or at least doing a better job of moving in that direction.

Wearing our traditional colors last year when winning big games was fantastic. Reminded me more of Clemson from several decades ago. When we are doing that consistently every week and winning big or controlling games, then maybe we can play around with other combos for fun, once in a blue moon.

Oct 19, 2012, 10:44 PM

Any purple is awful, stick to the current 3 uniform (orange & white combo) that we have been using.

Oct 20, 2012, 11:13 AM

I miss seeing the white tops with the orange pants

Replies: 89
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic