Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Swinney recaps Virginia, talks about preparing for Georgia Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Swinney recaps Virginia, talks about preparing for Georgia Tech

Nov 4, 2013, 12:43 PM

Swinney recaps Virginia, talks about preparing for Georgia Tech

The Clemson football team will practice three days this week in preparation for Georgia Tech, then build a house on Friday. What does Swinney say about the win over Virginia? What is the injury report? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We only lose Robinson in the secondary next year

Nov 4, 2013, 12:57 PM

that group is well on it's way to becoming very solid if not a strength with the emergence of Wiggins and Kearse along with the solid play of Breeland, Peters, and Jenkins. Next year we'll add Alexander, Edmond and Baker to the mix to go with 3 experienced seniors.

Don't Forget About Tankersley and Geohagen***

Nov 4, 2013, 1:13 PM

Re: Don't Forget About Tankersley and Geohagen***

Nov 4, 2013, 3:36 PM

they will struggle to make the two deep roster next year. Young talent in secondary is good to see; it's been awhile since we have had an outstanding secondary.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm bummed that he's not using 2 of the extra days to prep.

Nov 4, 2013, 1:37 PM

It's tough to defend GT's rarely seen option attack (in large part because the players only see it once a year). Most teams would kill to have extra time to prepare for GT. I can understand giving the guys time to heal but it seems like Dabo should take advantage of the extra time to prepare with some non-contact walk-throughs of how to defend the option.

I've no problem as long as they go hard after

Nov 4, 2013, 1:42 PM

I'm okay with giving the guys a good rest for a few days and then going back to the grind.

Re: I'm bummed that he's not using 2 of the extra days to prep.

Nov 4, 2013, 1:44 PM [ in reply to I'm bummed that he's not using 2 of the extra days to prep. ]

I think he has to read the guys condition and the trade off between rest and option work. you just have to trust they get it done. others have beaten GT this year and we have a solid D so I trust them to get it done

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's possible he will use the house building to help teach

Nov 4, 2013, 3:33 PM

the defense the importance of teamwork. If usc took a day off, Clowney will be out for a month with a splinter in this non-tackling hand. (Sorry, had to throw that in there.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imprint nails w/"QB" as reminder to constantly hammer the QB

Nov 4, 2013, 4:40 PM

And maybe mark each screw hole with "PJ".

So you know more about coaching and game prep

Nov 4, 2013, 8:15 PM [ in reply to I'm bummed that he's not using 2 of the extra days to prep. ]

than Dabo & our coaches? Wow, you're way under paid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

How original. Sorry for opining. Dabo is God but 2-4 vs GT.

Nov 4, 2013, 11:36 PM

Dabo has a poor record versus Paul Johnson's option, despite the fact that Dabo's teams have completely out-talented Paul Johnson's teams.

I'll have to remember never to express an opinion on a football blog again because that's completely unheard of.

In that record you are counting

Nov 5, 2013, 10:24 AM

Dabo's first game ever as a head coach, and 2 losses during a season where GT was ACC champs and nobody stopped them until Iowa had 4 weeks to prepare. Those were the first 3 times he played them.
I know you can't ignore those games but he is 2-1 since 2010. You might could say he is learning. Weird opinion to take I know.

2010 is an arbitrarily convenient starting point.

Nov 5, 2013, 12:16 PM

Dabo is 1-1 since 2011, and 1-0 since 2012 against a GT team that has had significantly inferior player-talent. I think it might be more logical to start in 2012 since that was Venables' 1st season and most of our trouble against GT has been stopping them, not scoring on them.

You're wrong that nobody but Iowa stopped GT in 2009. GT lost to Iowa and Miami-- which were the only teams that had more than one week to prepare for GT's option offense. Coincidentally (not!) those 2 teams held GT to its 2 lowest yardage totals of the season! So the extra prep time helps. In fact...

PJ's GT is:
7-14 (.333) against FBS teams that had more than one consecutive week to prepare for the option but,
27-11 (.711) vs FBS that only had 1 week to prepare. (Very lopsided.)

By comparison, before PJ's option, from 2003-2007 GT was:
11-12 (0.478) vs FBS teams that had more than 1 week to prepare.
32-25 (0.552) vs. FBS teams that only had 1 week to prepare. (Very similar.)

PJ's GT is 1-4 (.200) in bowl games- when BOTH teams have a month to prepare. (Very lopsided.)

The data indicates that PJ's rarely-seen option offense is tough to prepare for in 1 week, but pretty easy to defeat, when the opponent is given more time to prepare. That's why I'm bummed to see Dabo choosing not to utilize TWO of his 4 extra days.

Here’s an article where the Iowa players & coach said that it helps to have extra time to prepare for the option.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/8570/georgia-tech-offense-stuffed-by-iowa

“I can’t image preparing for them [GT] in a week,” [Iowa] linebacker Pat Angerer said.

“Having that [bowl prep] time was extremely big,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. “I can’t imagine preparing for them in a week.”

Here’s an article where a UNC player says they didn’t use the extra prep time that they had for GT in 2012 (Fedora’s 1st yr.) UNC lost.
http://fayobserver.com/articles/2013/09/16/1283318?sac=fo.sports

Here's a list of how PJ's GT has done against teams that had more than one week to prepare.
2008: 1-2. Beat UGA. Lost to UNC & spanked by LSU in bowl.
2009: 0-2. Lost to Miami & Iowa in bowl (GT's 2 lowest yardage totals of the season.)
2010: 1-4. Beat suspension-decimated UNC. Lost to NCSU, VT, UGA, Air Force in bowl.
2011: 1-2. Beat NCSU (2 extra days). Lost to UVA (2 wks. 296 yds lowest of season. & VT, 12 days & Utah in bowl.)
2012: Lost to VT in opener. Lost to MTSU (2weeks), Beat UNC & Duke. Lost to UGA (who played option-team, Ga Southern the prior week). Beat USC in bowl.
2013: Beat UNC (2 weeks). Clemson (9 days, TBD)

You're forgetting NCAA rules that limit practices

Nov 5, 2013, 7:41 PM

before a game. You can't have more than 5 days of practice before any game, other than a bowl game, where you get more.

In-Season Out-of-Season (during academic year)
4 hours per day 4 hours per day
20 hours per week 8 hours per week
1 day off per week 2 days off per week
competition=3 hours Non-FB, skill instruction 2 of the 8 hrs/week

FB, film review 2 of the 8 hrs/week

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Rules in detail

Nov 5, 2013, 7:43 PM

During the Playing Season

Student-athletes may engage in only 4 hours per day and 20 hours per week of countable athletically related activities. A countable athletically related activity is any activity with an athletics purpose involving student-athletes that occurs at the direction of or supervised by one or more institutional coaching staff members (including strength and conditioning coaches).

SO Razz.. the most he could do is 5 days at 4 hours per day (equals the limit of 20 hours)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

No. Could have gone M-F, then Sun-Thurs (5 practices/wk).

Nov 6, 2013, 2:36 PM

Per article 17 of the NCAA bylaws (link below)...

Players are limited to five 4-hour practice days per week (not per game) and players must have off one day per week. Therefore, they could have practiced Monday-Friday (5 days) with a day off on Saturday, and then practiced Sunday-Thursday (5 days) with one or more days off on Friday-Sunday.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D114.pdf

Re: 2010 is an arbitrarily convenient starting point.

Nov 6, 2013, 1:53 PM [ in reply to 2010 is an arbitrarily convenient starting point. ]

OMG, Facts! Prepare to get toasted.

Well that's still his record is it not?***

Nov 6, 2013, 2:50 PM [ in reply to In that record you are counting ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: How original. Sorry for opining. Dabo is God but 2-4 vs GT.

Nov 6, 2013, 1:49 PM [ in reply to How original. Sorry for opining. Dabo is God but 2-4 vs GT. ]

Yeah, the thought police are there and ever vigilant to squash anything factual or reasonalbe, such as Dabo's poor record against GT/Paul Johnson.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic