Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Ticket sales for some bowls hit surprising rough spots
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 2,576

Football Update: Ticket sales for some bowls hit surprising rough spots

Dec 23, 2011, 12:07 AM

Ticket sales for some bowls hit surprising rough spots

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Ticket sales for some bowls hit surprising rough spots

Dec 23, 2011, 12:49 AM

perhaps start the bowl games earlier?????????? and the BCS National Champ game be on Jan 1st............. OH WAIT....................................... Bowls would lose money :/

What ever happened to putting a major bowl game on New

Dec 23, 2011, 7:03 AM

Year's Day? T.V. has ruined college football. Maybe this will teach somebody a lesson. Then again, if there is an extra 50 cents to be made probably not.

Re: What ever happened to putting a major bowl game on New

Dec 23, 2011, 7:19 AM

When the Major Bowl games meant something,they were played on New Years Day!

It's always been about money, just who controls it changed.

Dec 23, 2011, 8:18 AM [ in reply to What ever happened to putting a major bowl game on New ]

The bowls were started to bring tourist money in to tourist towns at what was traditionally a slow time of year. The date meant everything because they needed it to convenient for people who traveling and spending their money at the game.

Now TV bought the games to create advertising revenue, so no longer is the crowd their focus. The local economy suffers, the fan that WANTS to attend suffers, but TV makes more advertising revenue and the school receives more exposure on TV.

Kinda sucks, but it is what it is I guess.

It is not a total loss, coaches salaries at least are up!

Dec 23, 2011, 12:05 PM

Well, you are focusing on just all the negatives. Must remember that TV money has increased greatly, and that money has flowed to coaches salary (and hopefully some to other meaningful expenditures such as facilities, better medical care for athletes, other sports support, etc.)

Even Clemson Fans have to work and go to school

Dec 23, 2011, 8:23 AM

This is no one's fault but the Orange Bowl and the greedy Networks pandering to the NFL.

The Suits have decided TV is more important that fans visiting cities and attending the games.

I think the The schools left holding the bag ought to be able to sue these bowls for incompetent
planing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

TCU had no problem selling their allotment for a Wed night

Dec 23, 2011, 8:29 AM

game over 1300 miles away...

Re: TCU had no problem selling their allotment for a Wed night

Dec 23, 2011, 8:36 AM

Agreed however it was Wednesday before Christmas, not the Wednesday after New Years. Big difference. Kids are out of school and lots of folks took a few days off early before Christmas. At least in my office, NO ONE, not even top managers is allowed to take off a single day within the first 2 weeks of January. We are closed for 10 days over the holiday and January kick starts the business for the new year. Again, a really big difference and I don't think our company is unique.

^^^^^^^^^^^Fed a Troll^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^***

Dec 23, 2011, 8:40 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

An Idiot troll at that...read this....

Dec 23, 2011, 8:50 AM

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/20/smaller-crowd-expected-poinsettia-bowl/

A crowd of around 25,000 is expected for Wednesday’s game between Louisiana Tech and Texas Christian.

If that holds true, it could be the smallest attendance in the seven-year history of the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl.

Binkowski said Wednesday’s crowd is about what was expected. Both teams were required to buy ticket allotments of only 3,000, down from previous Poinsettia requirements of 7,500. TCU has sold its allotment.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

last years Sugar Bowl (on Jan 4th) sold out with 73,879 in

Dec 23, 2011, 9:09 AM

attendance coming from Arkansas and Ohio St

Re: last years Sugar Bowl (on Jan 4th) sold out with 73,879 in

Dec 23, 2011, 9:20 AM

That was a Monday

your Calendar must be different from mine.***

Dec 23, 2011, 9:22 AM

coot calendars don't have a "last year"...just a "next year"***

Dec 23, 2011, 9:26 AM

Re: coot calendars don't have a "last year"...just a "next year"***

Dec 23, 2011, 10:15 AM

lol, best of the day!

Re: coot calendars don't have a "last year"...just a "next year"***

Dec 23, 2011, 11:03 AM [ in reply to coot calendars don't have a "last year"...just a "next year"*** ]

POINT!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LMAO!! how much do they pay for that usuck "edification"???***

Dec 23, 2011, 11:20 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you know how to read a calandar?

Dec 23, 2011, 10:11 AM [ in reply to your Calendar must be different from mine.*** ]

Last years game was Florida v Cincinnati

This years game was Ohio State v Arkansas

Next years game will be Michigan v Virginia Tech

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

interesting

Dec 23, 2011, 10:17 AM

this article describes "this" years Orange Bowl... in a not so flattering way...

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/12/14/orange-bowl-ticket-sales-going-poorly-for-both-teams/

Re: interesting

Dec 23, 2011, 10:24 AM

Yes it is just Clemson having problems selling tickets...not really.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bowls/story/2011-12-22/ticket-sales-hit-surprising-rough-spots/52170064/1

Re: your Calendar must be different from mine.***

Dec 23, 2011, 10:20 AM [ in reply to your Calendar must be different from mine.*** ]

My bad Tuesday. Are bragging about the ##### selling more tickets for a new years day game? Last I saw it was only about 1000 more.

Re: your Calendar must be different from mine.***

Dec 23, 2011, 11:03 AM [ in reply to your Calendar must be different from mine.*** ]

Dumb A$$ COOTS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An Idiot troll at that...read this....

Dec 23, 2011, 10:59 AM [ in reply to An Idiot troll at that...read this.... ]

Nice back up there Milerock. Thanks!!! Its always a LOL moment when a coot gets their A$$ handed back to them. But that is the coot mentality. Say or read only parts of the facts so it can be twisted to serve their little fantacy world. If they can't be on top. They will twist facts to make it appear they are. They are not smart enough to realize that true facts are just that, true to the actual fact....

Re: TCU had no problem selling their allotment for a Wed night

Dec 23, 2011, 10:48 AM [ in reply to TCU had no problem selling their allotment for a Wed night ]

Well isn't that nice. Should they be alloted an atta boy point. Or pin a rose on their nose and place a feather on their A$$. The majority of the T-Net fans have stated. The scheduling of the OB game wasn't planned with our fan base priorities in mind. Jobs are hard enough to come by in a down ecconomy. So to risk, or even stress that relationship with our employers would be just plain STUPID. If they want fans in the stands. Then schedule to accommodate the fan without putting their livelihood at risk. PERIOD!!!

Peter just said "eff it" and he's going.***

Dec 23, 2011, 10:51 AM

Actually that stadium looked quite empty***

Dec 23, 2011, 1:43 PM [ in reply to TCU had no problem selling their allotment for a Wed night ]

Perhaps Allocate some decent tickets to the schools!

Dec 23, 2011, 9:24 AM

I paid $225 a pop for what turned out to be 10 yard line tickets! Rest assured I will NOT buy through the Athletic Dept. anymore.

Imagine the ticket sales if our game was in Jacksonville...

Dec 23, 2011, 10:08 AM

or Charlotte, although the venues wouldn't be as glamorous as Miami. And I'm certainly not knocking the OB. It's just that the schedules have gotten out-of-whack with the proliferation of all the bowls, something that I think the NCAA and schools need to address. The bowls originally were intended to reward the teams and fan bases. Of course, as I have posted before, the $$$$ speaks....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The excess supply worked out well for me,

Dec 23, 2011, 10:32 AM

I was able to get 4 tickets on StubHub for $21 each. I will be in that area anyway that week (Homestead) so I was pleasantly surprised with the drastic drop in prices! I thought for sure I would be priced out when I heard it was going to be around $120 for a cheap seat... I will be there rooting for the Tigers!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Re: The excess supply worked out well for me,

Dec 23, 2011, 12:10 PM

Nice! Most of us have said let "free markets" rule when it comes to coaches oneway "contracts" ("oneway" in that schools are obligated to pay no matter what while a coach is permitted to leave w/ some modest buy out), so it is about time the fans actually benefit from free market ticket exchanges.

This is a reality of three issues, two of which "college

Dec 23, 2011, 10:49 AM

football" has brought on itself.

1) The scramble to expand conferences and get that lucrative conference championship game. I went to the ACC Championship, which cost about $80 to sit in the upper deck (I live in Charlotte). That's after spending hundreds of dollars to sit in the upper deck of Death Valley all season. I'm tapped out, both financially and with respect to time. I would imagine I'm not alone. Playoff-advocates, take note.

2) The scramble for TV money. If you set-up your bowls to capture the most TV viewers, you do so at the expense of in-stand viewers. 8:00 at night on a WEDNESDAY? Seriously? And not a single bowl game on SUNDAY, 1/1/12, for fear that they'll compete with the NFL. You reap what you sow. Bowl games used to be an opportunity to fill the hotels, restaurants and stores of destination cities during otherwise down seasons. Now they are structured to generate the most advertising revenue.

3) Of course, a down economy weighs on a lot of people. The Carolinas both hover at around 10% unemployement, some of the worst in the country.

Add it all up, and the result is articles like this every single year.

null

Major factor not addressed is the fact that Miami is hosting

Dec 23, 2011, 12:17 PM

the BCSMNC next year, and people purchasing tickets directly from the Orange Bowl this year get first dibs for the championship game next year. Ticket agencies were quick to buy up this year's OB tix then dump them on the secondary market at lower prices than any of the schools could offer their allotment for, in exchange for having a line on the 2013 championship game tix.

In addition to the other timing issues, this is significant.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Ticket sales for some bowls hit surprising rough spots

Dec 23, 2011, 1:46 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1061470&tstart=0

Replies: 33
| visibility 2,576
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic