Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I saw the post about teenagers getting "online" bullied.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 574

I saw the post about teenagers getting "online" bullied.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:27 PM

How does that work? Don't you actually have to be near someone to get bullied?

So someone calls you a sloot or something equally terrible online, then tells everyone to call you that. Since you're not really going to school, how would you continue seeing it if you don't want to? Seems to me the easy thing would be to not log on to whatever affected social media outlet that you would see people calling you a sloot. Bullies want instant gratification of seeing their victim wince. If they don't eventually they'll move on to someone else. I mean if I go into a neighborhood nd get beat up, I'm not going through that hood again, even of it is on the way home. If for whatever reason I do go through Stupidtown, I just don't slow down.

Why is it not that simple?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So if I'm hearing you correctly........

Nov 18, 2020, 12:31 PM

At age 16 or so, you had already acquired all of the knowledge, reason, rationality, and emotional intelligence that you currently have at 50+? That's impressive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have much of any of that now.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:33 PM

But I knew then to not go places I wasn't liked.

Admittedly, social media wise, I only use this site, a boating forum and Instagram (to look at more more boats) so I guess I don't get the lure of all that stuff.

But for real..is it that difficult?

Yep, it pretty much is difficult. I'm not saying I agree

Nov 18, 2020, 12:40 PM

with it, but for a majority of kids today, a social media presence is how kids interact, communicate, and figure out their place in the world. If you aren't on there, you basically don't exist. It's effed up, to be sure, made all the worse because it's exactly how the psychologists and sociologists who are employed by these companies designed it.

It's a lot easier to say eff it all and not feel like a total pariah when your brain has finished developing and you gain some perspective on the world.

I'd like to say us adults as a group are better, but we aren't. I can't tell you the number of social things that my wife and I have no clue about because we aren't on facebook, but it's worth it to not deal with it. The last time I was in the job market, you might as well have not existed to a recruiter if you didn't have a robust LinkedIn profile.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really don't get the linkedin thing.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:42 PM

It's like it adds some validity or something.

I mean if I can lie on my resume, I can lie on Linkedin, too.

On LinkedIn you resume becomes public

Nov 18, 2020, 1:00 PM

You have to get a bunch of other folks to go along with the lie.

If you put up a bogus resume and have enough connections to have a “robust” presence, someone will call you out on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I've seen a bunch of BS on there.

Nov 18, 2020, 1:04 PM

I'm not going to rat out someone I worked with who is taking credit for something he had nothing to do with.

I saw my ex-boss at Clemson (the reason I left that place) take credit for a BUUUNCH of stuff he wasn't even around for. What do I care? I'll never work with or for him again, that's for sure.

Well, your whole premise is you aren’t a typical

Nov 18, 2020, 1:11 PM

social media user. There are folks that live for that sort of thing.

I’ve seen lots of folks called out for claiming false schyatt I haven’t had to look for work since LinkedIn came along but I have used it to hire folks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Who would you tell?

Nov 18, 2020, 2:14 PM

Even if I did have the inclination to tell someone, who would I tell?

"Hey that guy said he invented the Palmetto cluster of the super computing product, but really, had nothing to do with it."
Who is ghana give a chit? If someone emailed me that about about one of my employees, I'd just wonder who they p!ssed off.

it is a lack of understanding of the virtual community...

Nov 18, 2020, 12:37 PM [ in reply to So if I'm hearing you correctly........ ]

that teenagers live in today. They have at least double the opportunity to be shamed publicly (virtually and physically) as we did growing up.

Glad I'm not a teenager today. I would much rather be "bullied" in person. I can at least guarantee the opportunity to fight back and shut the assailant up. Hard to do that in the virtual realm.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe bullying the online bullies in person is the solution?

Nov 18, 2020, 12:38 PM

Or just go for the tried and true method of spreading rumors about your bully's mother being a ####.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ubiquity of cameras certainly doesn't help either.***

Nov 18, 2020, 12:40 PM [ in reply to it is a lack of understanding of the virtual community... ]

Plus the myth of social media that if you take everyone's

Nov 18, 2020, 12:41 PM

posts as 100% representative of their lives at large, EVERYONE is living a lot better, happier, and larger than you are.

Yeah, I guess that's easy to be fooled.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:44 PM

Being the cynical realist I have always been, I've known for a lifetime that people are liars and their lives are usually much more F-ed up than mine.

But..why?

Nov 18, 2020, 12:40 PM [ in reply to it is a lack of understanding of the virtual community... ]

Why do they go where they know will make them feel like crap?

I don't do shots any more because of that.

Because social acceptance is critical at that developing

Nov 18, 2020, 1:26 PM

age. Kids aren't old enough or wise enough to grasp that basically everybody they'll ever meet for the rest of their lives sucks and has worthless opinions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that's just as true for most adults

Nov 18, 2020, 1:30 PM

I am solidly convinced you could get at least 70% of the population to smear dog feces on their faces daily if they thought it was the popular thing to do. Give me control of Twitter for one week and I could make it happen, guaranteed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I knew everything at 16 and my dad was an idiot

Nov 18, 2020, 1:48 PM [ in reply to So if I'm hearing you correctly........ ]

I've been getting dumber ever since and he got smarter till he died

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yur an idjit with a small dink, who luvs to succok

Nov 18, 2020, 12:35 PM

Works kinda like that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still don't get it.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:36 PM

lulz...And my wife says not giving a chit about anything is bad.

My post was meant to call you names, not help you understand

Nov 18, 2020, 12:41 PM

Quite frankly I don't REALLY understand either. I mean I get it, but I also don't get how they allow it to happen. I consider myself a pretty good online troll, so I don't get why they don't just give it back to them. Do they not know how to use scoks?

Could it be the ultimate result of the

Nov 18, 2020, 12:49 PM

"run and tell a teacher" philosophy we ingrain in children? Really leaves little room for the development of defense mechanisms.

I'm torn between that and just how lazy and dumb kids are

Nov 18, 2020, 12:52 PM

I mean scoking does take some proactive work. The accounts don't just sign themselves up. Then you gotta have a convo going back and forth with them. I think the kids just can't do all that cause lazy.

I just don't understand how kids don't intrinsically know

Nov 18, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Could it be the ultimate result of the ]

or understand how meaningless most, if not all, of social media is.

I guess if you've grown up with it, you don't realize how

Nov 18, 2020, 1:02 PM

meaningless it is?

Maybe I'm totally FOS here, but there seems to be differing parenting styles largely based on socioeconomic status. When we lived in the poors neighborhood, it was full of children. But the only way I knew that was because they stood in front of my house to get picked up by the school bus in the mornings. NEVER saw any of them outside. ####, I heard the mom next door yell at her little boy for rolling in grass more than once. He'd come over to pet our dogs and lament the fact that he just didn't like playing video games. Was kind of sad.

Now that we've transitioned to being poors living amongst the wealthy, all those MFers kids are outside. All the time. Running through the woods, riding bikes, chasing the free range golden retrievers. Between the deer and kids, I'm going to hit one with my truck one day. But it's definitely a stark difference.

still laughing at "free range golden retrievers"***

Nov 18, 2020, 1:05 PM

It isn't hard for me to imagine that the

Nov 18, 2020, 12:56 PM

kids feel pressure to be on the social media to start with and pressured to have "connections" with the bullies, thus making it that much worse.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old guy here but I assume social media is an extension of

Nov 18, 2020, 1:10 PM

the "clics" that were around 50 years ago when I was a teen. Everyone sees the bullying posts and if they are in the clic, they are supporting it with "likes" or whatever they do these days.

Yes, bullies want attention, but social media gives them that in spades.

There will be group texts and someone will post it somewhere for all to see at some point, then everyone is "in" on it. Got to be a lot worse that what we had growing up. We could ignore those groups and yea, they may have made fun of us, but only to their clic or group.

I feel for these kids and hopefully they get support from others. I just remember I could not wait to get to college and it changed my life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You wonder why no one here likes you***

Nov 18, 2020, 1:53 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

No, I don't.

Nov 18, 2020, 2:16 PM

If it's you, I'm kinda happy about that-I must be doing something right.

I see what you are saying, I really do, but you're out of

Nov 18, 2020, 1:54 PM

your element here.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not unusual.

Nov 18, 2020, 2:17 PM

I've been in tech for 20+ years. I know better than to trust any of it.

Replies: 31
| visibility 574
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic