Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
F150.net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 567

F150.net

Mar 5, 2018, 11:18 AM

Drove one this weekend. I'm in. After owning 40-45 cars in my car-addicted life, I've never owned a Ford. If it was a domestic, it was a GM. Ford's either felt cheap, didn't drive well, or looked cheesy.

I think that's about to change. The 2018 F150 is so far beyond the current Sierra/Silverado that it's not funny. Maybe the upcoming 2019 GM's and Rams complete the catch-up, but I need a vehicle now.

Started playing the game yesterday. Sent out about 8 e-mails to various dealers with my requests, and quotes are starting to come back. Best so far is 12% off MSRP with roughly another 12% in Ford rebates. Giddy up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do they feel so narrow?

Mar 5, 2018, 11:19 AM

When I was looking they didn't feel any bigger than my Frontier on the interior. The only way I'd ditch my Ram for a Ford is if it were a Raptor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dunno, they're a lot bigger than what I'm driving now,

Mar 5, 2018, 11:21 AM

so maybe it's all relative.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess, they always felt like the smallest of the full size

Mar 5, 2018, 11:22 AM

trucks to me. Watch that tailgate too, they get stolen like crazy. Guess it's the aluminum people are after.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they lock with the central locking.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:28 AM

I'm not gonna get that tailgate step though. That's about the gheyest thing I've ever seen. I think you'd look like Ace and Gary if you used that thing at a home depot or a mulch yard.

I bet Jad Dean has a tailgate step on his F-150

Mar 5, 2018, 11:31 AM

#1 complaint is probably that it's not low enough to use while wearing skinny jeans.

I can tell you for certain that he does not drive a company

Mar 5, 2018, 11:49 AM

vehicle. I guess I could message him and see what he DOES drive.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait—-Jad works for “The Firm”?***

Mar 5, 2018, 11:50 AM

Crazy, ain't it?

Mar 5, 2018, 12:01 PM

I just found that out a couple of months ago. Turns out he married the daughter of someone in upper management. Knowing someone has LONG been the way in the door, but it also doesn't get you anything in terms of better pay or better position. He has what I would consider to be a starter position that I'm certain is ZERO fun considering the customers he has to work with.

I'm sure all the evangelical stuff didn't hurt his case.

Mar 5, 2018, 12:03 PM

You're easily the most hedonistic person I know who works there.

Of course, you're the most hedonistic person I know, period, but also that works there.

FLATTERY WILL GET YOU EVERYWHERE.***

Mar 5, 2018, 12:14 PM

Might be good information, but if I had to guess since Obed

Mar 5, 2018, 11:52 AM [ in reply to I can tell you for certain that he does not drive a company ]

is such a car savant, one of the first things he looked at is what the great people of Greenwood drive.

Appreciate you knowing me so well. I did check into that.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:56 AM

It’s the reason I have a new pair of TruckNutz on order from Amazon as we speak.

No need to go to all that trouble looking for one.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Dunno, they're a lot bigger than what I'm driving now, ]

I found it for you, and I. WILL. SAVE. YOU. MONEY.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-fordx4-survivor-truck/6515295855.html

That's actually a really good deal.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:24 AM

If that were a same-era Chevrolet K10, it would be at least double that.

If I didn't have a truck already, I'd be all over that one

Mar 5, 2018, 11:30 AM

like brown gravy on white rice.

I'm sure you know that 'FORD' stands for

Mar 5, 2018, 11:20 AM

Fix It Again, Tony!

FIRST ON RECTAL DIATRIBES!!!***

Mar 5, 2018, 11:21 AM

Heeyyyy!

Mar 5, 2018, 11:21 AM [ in reply to I'm sure you know that 'FORD' stands for ]

~ Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it stands for

Mar 5, 2018, 11:25 AM [ in reply to I'm sure you know that 'FORD' stands for ]

Effed On a Real Deal

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Fixed or repaired daily***

lol, no, that's not it. Don't be silly.***

That doesn't even make sense.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:34 AM

It's actually someone's name.

Gerald, maybe.

More likely,

Mar 5, 2018, 11:45 AM

Betty.

I mean she has her own clinic and all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Everyone should own a Ford.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:28 AM

Once.

I can't get past the engine turning off at stop lights. I hear if you leave a 7 pin adapter in the trailer light socket, it stops doing that, but then it has an annoying light on the dash.

The new Sierra I just bought is what my 2500 should have been. 6.2L, 8 speed, seamless. It needs to be the same height as the 2500 but drive like the 1500, but i can get round some of that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, you traded the Toyota that you'd owned for 5 minutes?

Mar 5, 2018, 11:29 AM

You must really hate money.

I did. That truck was like driving a toaster.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:36 AM

It was an appliance. And it had an annoying "pop" at 5 mph starting out that was the ABS actuator. It couldn't be fixed as it was designed that way. Sounded like someone hitting the floorboard with a hammer. What really sealed the deal for me was the safety sensors up front. The truck couldn't be lifted, leveled, or even have bigger tires put on it. It would void the warranty and the safety equip and the sensors couldn't be re calibrated to accept the elevation change. There was no way I was going to drive around with a truck that was all jacked up in the rear like grampa.

I actually did pretty good on the Sierra. Between the warranty money I got back on the Tundra, the GM credit card bonus money going to it, and the package discounts, I came away with $300. I was happy with that.

Re: Everyone should own a Ford.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Everyone should own a Ford. ]

Lol clueless. There's a big ### button on the dash to turn off auto start stop. Anyways keep guzzling up that gas in your GM that can't haul or tow as much as ford

That you have to turn off every time you get in it.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:37 AM

Enjoy that.

I haven't driven it enough to know the gas mileage in it yet, but it doesn;t seem that bad, and I know its better than the Tundra was.

FORSCAN will allow you to turn it off permanently.***

Mar 5, 2018, 12:04 PM

Where do you get that?***

Mar 5, 2018, 12:08 PM

Start reading this....

Mar 5, 2018, 12:11 PM

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forscan-software-enable-disable-features-your-truck-348987/

I don't think I'd do that, especially when the truck

Mar 5, 2018, 12:18 PM

is under warranty, but everyone is different.

Surely the F-150's don't turn off at stop lights too?

Mar 5, 2018, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Everyone should own a Ford. ]

If that is going to become industry standard I need to start thinking about trading both of the trucks now to hold out as long as possible.

Yep

Mar 5, 2018, 11:38 AM

I think they were the first truck to implement that crap. And a dual turbo V-6. (but you can get the "big" 3.5l though. In a truck.

Big box of nopes for me.

Re: Surely the F-150's don't turn off at stop lights too?

Mar 5, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Surely the F-150's don't turn off at stop lights too? ]

It's really not bad at all. I actually wish it shut off more. The truck starts as soon as you lift your foot off the brake. Unless you drive with 2 feet the engine will have already cranked back up by the time your foot reaches the gas pedal. Also there is a button on the dash next to the emergency flashers to turn off Auto start-stop if you don't like it. I think it's great. I think once the truck learns your routes and driving habits it works pretty good. I really only ever get shut down when it knows I'm at a long stop light.

Uh oh....

Mar 5, 2018, 11:46 AM

"I think once the truck learns your routes and driving habits it works pretty good."

That's what they said about the 9 speed in our Jeep Cherokee after it continually almost killed us.

I honestly have nothing against Fords, but that's a turrible fuggin "feature".

Re: Everyone should own a Ford.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Everyone should own a Ford. ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf0dQEUg9VQ

So you're going to jump wire a switch in your new $60K

Mar 5, 2018, 11:39 AM

truck?

Uh huh.

Re: So you're going to jump wire a switch in your new $60K

Mar 5, 2018, 11:41 AM

Or reach over and hit the button while you're changing the radio station. has america really gotten this lazy?

Having to turn off the parking sensors every time I hook up

Mar 5, 2018, 11:43 AM

a trailer to our Yukon pisses me off....I might make it 1000 miles if I had to turn that golf cart shid off every time I got in it.

My trailer hitch used to set them off on my 2010 Tahoe

Mar 5, 2018, 12:03 PM

I later bought a 2012 Silverado, and I think they turned down the sensitivity on the trucks to allow the receiver hitch to stay in there.

why not? You’re adding 2” spacer plates to your $60k GMC***

Mar 5, 2018, 11:45 AM [ in reply to So you're going to jump wire a switch in your new $60K ]

There's zero probability doing that could error out a

Mar 5, 2018, 11:51 AM

body control module and cause the truck not to start, or randomly shut off.

I'd stick with the 7 pin adapter and get some tape to coverup the dash light :)

So you've got to perform surgery on a brand new truck just

Mar 5, 2018, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Everyone should own a Ford. ]

so it doesn't operate like a golf cart? That seems like a pretty big deal breaker. I guess it's like everything else these days, back up cameras and parking sensors were revolutionary, now they're just adding shid for the sake of adding it.

The tundra had some of the blind spot monitoring and some

kind of thing that went off when a car was near going perpendicular to you in the back. Not only was it annoying, but it had two bright lights on the dash when it was on. Its like having a brake light on the dash when the brakes are working fine.

Does the seat in your Sierra rumble any time you get too

close to something? Was driving a new Yukon through a drive through and discovered that little safety feature, caused me to panic since I thought I was scraping down the side of the building or something.

It does, but I can turn that off.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:49 AM

I actually leave it on though. I like it better than the infernal beeping the Tundra would do. The Sierra has this thing that if you start pulling off the road that will lightly turn the steering wheel back on the road. THAT took some getting used to. I had to turn the sensitivity way down for that. It works great, but its too easy to over react to it the first few times you feel it.

And good lord, don't drive that Tundra more than 2 feet without your seat belt on. Holy crap that beeping was like an alarm clock going off. I won't miss that truck at all. I was really let down by it.

i had an Audi Q5 loaner with that stupid backup protection

Mar 5, 2018, 11:54 AM

I was trying to back out into a busy road, so I needed to be quick about it—-starting edging back towards the road as the last car was passing, system didn’t like that car being so close, and slammed in the brakes and started beeping. Damm near gave everyone in the car whiplash.

My other pet peeve is on the Mercedes van I bought for work—-has an electronic shifter. If you open the door while rolling backwards (you know, like to see stuff), the car slams into park. I can thank that Star Trek actor who got run over by his grand Cherokee for that one.

Those are terrible.

Mar 5, 2018, 12:00 PM

I couldn't deal with either one of those.

I think you are right though--all of these safety features that are idiot proofing us are making the cars/trucks harder to drive at times.

And I don't mean to sound all like "with all of the new fangled electronic crap, you can't even work on them" (and I don't want to work on them), but it is making it a lot less functional. The implementation of some of this stuff is the big thing; Toyota ruined the Tundra with the saftey 'features'.

It's like anything in life.......

Mar 5, 2018, 12:04 PM

When something gets aimed at the lowest common denominator of user, it only remains appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Nothing to do with the sake of adding it.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:48 AM [ in reply to So you've got to perform surgery on a brand new truck just ]

You can thank stupid CAFE standards that include light trucks for this being on there. The others won’t be far behind.

I guess I do need to get a diesel for my next truck

Mar 5, 2018, 11:55 AM

Because I don't ever think I could buy one that turned off like a golf cart. Just no PLZ.

I'm honestly kind of appalled by this information, I had no idea. And here I was eyeing the new Expeditions. Sad is what it is, just fuggin sad.

You want see it on 3/4 tons.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:57 AM

Since they’re not figured into the CAFE average.

won't.***

Mar 5, 2018, 11:59 AM

I bet a lot of 1/2 ton owners will bump up to the 3/4 ton

Mar 5, 2018, 12:17 PM [ in reply to You want see it on 3/4 tons. ]

I drove a 2500 not too long ago just to see if it was something I should entertain...Didn't drive like it was a whole lot bigger than the 1500. I just worry about having injector problems.

The only problem with going to the 3/4 ton

Mar 5, 2018, 12:22 PM

is the cost. The diesel alone is a $9K option on teh GM.

Next years 6 cyl inline 3.0l diesel in the 1500's might be interesting. Ford is putting a 3.0l v6 diesel in theirs as well. I doubt those will be doing the turn-on-turn off thing. Oddly, Ram stopped with their 3.0l diesel last year.

Those eco diesels in the Rams were slllloooooowwww

Mar 5, 2018, 12:31 PM

As many miles as I rack up I could probably make the cost difference up on resale. I looked at KBB on my truck with the mileage and it made me shed a tear.

Thats any 1500 series American made truck.

Mar 5, 2018, 12:34 PM

After about 2 years the value takes a nose dive. Off of sticker, even my 2500 with a diesel was racing to the floor.

From what I've seen looking recently, they take a big

Mar 5, 2018, 12:39 PM

30% crash in years 1-2, and then hold steady at 35-40k for about the next 4 years.

Oh no, auto stop/start....

Mar 5, 2018, 12:09 PM [ in reply to So you've got to perform surgery on a brand new truck just ]

Yeah, my F-150 turns off at redlights. The A/C, radio, wipers, headlights, etc. stay on. When I start to lift my foot off the brake the motor fires back on. A slight rumble. (btw VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and others have been doing this for years and years)

Meanwhile, my SuperCrew, 4wd, 475 ft-lbs motor is getting over 18mpg combined and it's still in the inefficient period. You know, about 2 mpg better than a Tacoma. The Tacoma that costs the same, is smaller, less capable, and slower.

But hey, THE ####### MOTOR SHUTS OFF!!!!!!

That's 2 different markets, isn't it?

Mar 5, 2018, 12:16 PM

I've never seen anyone bragging on anything about the Tacoma, except that it has good resale..I'd wager much better than any Ford (or GM) %age wise.

And I had a 2wd Tacoma V6 auto crew cab off road version, a few years back. I never saw better than 15 mpg regardless of what I was doing with it. It rode like a wagon and got crap gas mileage.

I see the Ford is rated to tow 13,200#. I'm not saying it wouldn't pull it, but I know I wouldn't want to be driving it while doing it.

Tacoma's don't make much sense unless you just want

Mar 5, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Oh no, auto stop/start.... ]

a small truck for some reason. They should be about $10k cheaper than they are, but I guess people do buy them.

I would feel vulnerable in a truck that shut off in Atlanta or Greenville traffic.

Re: F150.net

Mar 5, 2018, 11:34 AM

Whalecum to the club. After owning two chevy trucks in a row and switching to ford, the difference was obvious. Everytime I have to drive a silverado for work now if feels like I'm driving a ####### freight train. Doesn't handle or accelerate anything close to the f150.

Hey Obed....

Mar 5, 2018, 12:01 PM

First, call Ford Marketing and see if you're eligible for Private Cash ($750 or $1000). It's based on address and your personal history with Ford. It's another rebate that you may be eligible for.

Second, you need to check the following on whatever truck you purchase as these are known issues with the aluminum body F-150s:
- Check the roof seams. Sometimes they aren't fully painted or have gaps in the adhesive. Stand in the bed and look at the top of the cab.
- Door alignment. They can be very uneven at the bottom and causes wind noise.
- Defrost Dash vents: They can be bowed up and warped. Ford will replace the dash, but don't get this on a new truck.
- Drive the truck to 80mph. Some trucks has a wobble or shimmy in the 55-75mph range that is not the tires or driveshaft. Seems to be no known fix.

Also note that Fords ECU really runs rich and underpowered for the first 1,000 miles. It does this to 'learn' how you drive and then the ECU is free to do whatever it wants afterwards. So fuel economy and power will seem down during this time. Even with that, my 3.5L is still getting over 18 MPG in 50/50 driving.

If you have any other specifics let me know. Good luck.

Thanks man, good advice.

Mar 5, 2018, 12:15 PM

Like any domestic, I guess you're looking to see if you're buying a Wednesday production car or a Monday car.

I did send in for a brochure request, since it sounds like that's how they send out the private cash offers. You're saying I can call them and they just make it happen instantly?

I drove all the engine variants, and I'm actually thinking I would be completely happy with the 2.7. Low 6's in 0-60 for a full size truck is amazing, especially on the volume leader engine. The most I'd ever be towing is 6000 lbs, and it looks like it's rated up to 7600. With that said, I have a few 3.5 trucks in the mix for the quotes I've requested too.

The main thing I hated was the 40/20/40 seat and column shifter, and I didn't realize that the sport package eliminated that on the XLT, so that's under consideration too.

Does the FX4 package ride rougher than the non-FX4 trucks?

Re: Thanks man, good advice.

Mar 5, 2018, 12:23 PM

The 2.7 is amazing. Probably the most advanced truck engine out right and has very few reported issues. I pull my 4500# boat and you can't tell its there. It'll really suck up gas if you floor it, but it takes off faster than any other non-modified truck on the market.

If you get one with the 20" rims and 4wd you'll get around 21 mpg combined. The non-4wd with 18" wheels get a few mpg better.

Also try to get a 36 gal fuel tank. My range is around 750 miles on a tank.

Now we're glorifying the smallest engine offering??

Mar 5, 2018, 12:29 PM

What planet are we on??

Re: Now we're glorifying the smallest engine offering??

Mar 5, 2018, 12:33 PM

Yes. Drove a 5.0 and 3.5 ecoboost like obed. The 2.7 ford engine will really blow your socks off. I was expecting a dud but its the little engine that could. Blows away any other truck I have driven.

nah, the 3.3 NA is the smallest. Pretty much fleet use only

Mar 5, 2018, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Now we're glorifying the smallest engine offering?? ]

The 2.7 we're talking about has 325hp and 400 lb/ft of torque. It's seriously amazing. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and 26 mpg on the highway.

Re: Thanks man, good advice.

Mar 5, 2018, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Thanks man, good advice. ]

2.7L is no slouch. I actually started shopping 2.7L trucks. And I was dead set on them. Until I started shopping the exact truck I wanted. With the 3.5L you can get Max Tow Package vs. Tow Package for the 2.7L.

3.5L Max Tow ($1,295)
Tow Package
36 Gallon Tank
E-locker
Trailer Brake Controller

2.7L Tow Package ($995)
Tow Package

The rest are add-ons with a 2.7L.

Plus my 3.5L can tow 12,700 lbs vs. 7,600 with the 2.7L. I don't need to tow that much, but if we get a camper as my kids get a little older I'll have the capability. Off the line both motors are plenty capable. When you romp on it at 50mph+ the 3.5L is noticeably quicker.

When I started adding the tank and e-locker to the 2.7L the delta between and 2.7L and 3.5L shrunk to almost a grand. And when you look at Fuelly (and not internet BS) the MPG delta is really only about 1-1.5 MPG between the two trucks.

FX4 is basically a useless option IMHO. Only difference is front struts, and I don't notice anything. I got it because it just happened to be on the truck that had everything else I did want.

Sport package also gets you body colored bumpers, door handles, magnetic grille and a black cloth interior on XLT. Non sport or chrome package trucks can have the console, but the shifter is still on the column.

Read about the new Rangers coming

Mar 5, 2018, 12:29 PM

Next year. That's what I would like to trade my Subaru for, maybe?
Had those been out I'd probably have one.

Anyway, it was a pretty good article about the new Rangers.

Re: Read about the new Rangers coming

Mar 5, 2018, 12:35 PM

Problem I have with those is that the 'small' trucks aren't really small anymore. The old days of small trucks like s10's and rangers are gone. Tacomas, canyons, new rangers, etc, are really just marginally smaller versions of their big brother.

I saw some of the new rangers in europe while I was over there and they looked pretty nice tho.

Hey buddy, if you like that F150, you should buy that F150

Mar 5, 2018, 12:50 PM

I have my eye on them too, but not a brand new one cause three kids and gov't work. They look sharp AF. Good for you and enjoy that new ride.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 73
| visibility 567
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic