Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Phil Steele's 2013 Top 40 Countdown
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 3,320

Football Update: Phil Steele's 2013 Top 40 Countdown

Jun 5, 2013, 11:06 AM

Phil Steele's 2013 Top 40 Countdown

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Phil Steele doesn't have faith in us.

Jun 5, 2013, 11:17 AM

Oh well. I'd rather be ranked low to start the season and finish high in the rankings than be one of those laughing stock teams *cough* Real USC *cough*

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is it with the dirtpeckers losing more players than we

Jun 5, 2013, 11:28 AM

lost at positions with out proven depth at those positions are ranked so high? Clowney is good player but he has lost a lot of talented players around him making it a little easier to double team and or chip him out of the back field. I just do not see where the dirtpeckers are going to be that much better than last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How is it with the dirtpeckers losing more players than we

Jun 5, 2013, 11:32 AM

They won't be as good. Tons of defensive losses and Saint Marcus has moved on. Their preseason ranking will be based on Clowney, the OBS and the SEC. Objective observers see them as a flash in the pan....nothing more.

Concur, though USCjr's schedule is AGAIN in their favor.***

Jun 5, 2013, 11:56 AM

Re: Concur, though USCjr's schedule is AGAIN in their favor.***

Jun 6, 2013, 3:01 PM

Coming from an ACC school that gets WF, BC, Virginia, Syracuse, and the rest of those powerful teams..

Re: Phil Steele doesn't have faith in us.

Jun 6, 2013, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Phil Steele doesn't have faith in us. ]

Not because I hate the coots the way I do but, I don't see the coots as being no where around the top 14 after week 6.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

surprised to see us ranked so low by Steele...

Jun 5, 2013, 11:19 AM

apparently he does not think this team will be improved from last year, or he thinks we'll have more trouble with our schedule than we did last year. Personally, I think with what we have returning and where we finished in the rankings last year, we should be a consensus top 10 preseason team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: surprised to see us ranked so low by Steele...

Jun 5, 2013, 11:23 AM

I agree but Phil is an SEC puppet. I put very little (actually none) in his predictions. The source must always be taken into consideration.....

Who knows? Let's just win the .....

Jun 5, 2013, 11:30 AM

UGA game to start with and the polls will take care of themselves.

I'll keep saying it...Phil Steele is the Walt Deptula of...

Jun 5, 2013, 12:04 PM

...the college preview magazines. He spends most of the magazine talking about what he got right last year without offering any substance for the season ahead.

In His Defense...

Jun 5, 2013, 12:59 PM

If you actually look at what he says at the end of his article, he believes the schedule is tough with the UGA, Carolina, and FSU games...but considers Clemson a dark horse national title contender.

Re: In His Defense...

Jun 5, 2013, 2:15 PM

I was just about to post that. But I will clarify. He correctly said SC (not Carolina). Carolina is in Chapel Hill.

I'm sorry but, notwithstanding this particular prediction

Jun 5, 2013, 3:22 PM

Phil Steele is the man. His mag, although overloaded with stats, is better than any of the others. He has always appeared to me to be less swayed by politics than most.

I have subscribed as long as I can remember him being in business.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. Steele's preview, while relatively expensive,..

Jun 5, 2013, 4:03 PM

is the only one i buy and keep all season long.

I agree.

Jun 6, 2013, 8:16 AM [ in reply to I'm sorry but, notwithstanding this particular prediction ]

Phil is great.

Jun 5, 2013, 3:38 PM

We had to play games @ LSU, @Florida and @ Clemson last year. How exactly was that in our favor?

Fraternities are stupid....and so are you***

Jun 5, 2013, 4:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2013, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Concur, though USCjr's schedule is AGAIN in their favor.*** ]

We're not talking coots on our board. If we wanted to talk about sh!t, and how bad it stinks. We would talk about out houses and the coots that live in them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steele makes his predictions based

Jun 5, 2013, 3:47 PM

On where he thinks teams will finish and SOS factors heavily into that. I'm still a bit surprised he has us that low.. #15 would be at least 2 and maybe 3 losses.

I don't understand the sudden Phil Steele hate. A couple of years ago he picked us way higher than everyone else and many on this board were talking about how accurate he was. Now he's a Clemson hater and SEC puppet...

Par for the course.

Jun 5, 2013, 4:05 PM

Herbstreit loves Clemson and has talked about us glowingly in the past. Yet, people still throw hate his way the minute he expresses any reservations about the team.

Re: Football Update: Phil Steele's 2013 Top 40 Countdown

Jun 5, 2013, 3:55 PM

He has us a dark horse for the NC...not sure how that is a bad thing. I'd rather be rated a little low now, hopefully pushes the players.

Jun 5, 2013, 5:04 PM

To finish 15th in the rankings is a pretty dang good year...look up how many times we have finished 15th or better in the last 20yrs and its not too often...

granted this is a program that's definitely rising, and we finished #9-12 or so last year depending on the publication...but that's the highest final ranking we've had in the last 10yrs or longer...at least as far as I can remember...

the difference between a top 10 ranking and one just on the outside of a top ten ranking is prob one loss. Its rlly tough to finish top ten in the final rankings, as Clemson has prob only done it two or three times in the last 30 years...

TBH though, rankings don't necessarily validate a team. Theres teams out there that may have 3-4 losses, and are outside the top ten who progressed and got better, and by seasons end nobody in the top ten would want to play them...also strength of schedule can mask the true strength of a team for better or worse...

High rankings can def give u warm n fuzzy feelings when when its legit, and Clemson was a legit top ten team last year... If they can pull it off something similar two years in a row it would be quite the accomplishment.

Clemson has a lot of good players returning, and their team depth definitely improved, but they did lose some players who contributed an awful lot to the program:

On offense they lost their top RB in Ellington, top WR in Nuke, top offensive lineman in Freeman, top TE in Ford. That's the 4 best players gone at their respective positions. They also lost starting WR Brown who was an excellent blocker, a steadying influence, and made some huge plays.

On defense they lost their top DE in Goodman, top LB in Hawkins, top 2 players in the secondary in S Hall and CB/S Brewer. They also lost S Meeks who was a huge contributor and was drafted into to NFL.

Definitley so huge losses on both sides of the ball, but they do have plenty of excellent players returning, and good depth...I think the biggest areas of concern deal with hoping the RB's can step up and be productive, as well as the question marks in the secondary being answered.

Jun 6, 2013, 11:40 AM

SO the ONLY team to beat the NC last season - at THEIR HOUSE, and they still have the Heisman Winner as their QB, is rated 13th????????????????

Okie Dokie. This countdown has lost ALL credibility IMO. I could guess as well as this guy.

Reasonable guess. Link to Phil's Clemson review here...

Jun 6, 2013, 1:06 PM

For any late comers:

Clemson:http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2013Top40Countdown/15Clemson.pdf

SCar:
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2013Top40Countdown/14SouthCarolina.pdf

I wouldn't say that's terribly unreasonable or anything.

Jun 7, 2013, 12:13 AM

Just hope we finish higher and I would think that with some of the players we have back that we are capable of doing it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 3,320
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic