Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In defense of Powell... My Orange-blooded son will likely
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

In defense of Powell... My Orange-blooded son will likely

Mar 4, 2019, 10:45 AM

attend UNC next year. (We live in NC and simply can't afford the out-of-state tuition to send him to Clemson.) He's been accepted at both schools...

I fully expect him to be wearing an orange Clemson shirt in the middle of the UNC student section on 9/28/2019.

If you end up at a school other than the one you grew up with - your allegiance may not change.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what UNC sport will he be getting paid to play?***

Mar 4, 2019, 10:50 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So what UNC sport will he be getting paid to play?***

Mar 4, 2019, 11:04 AM

I played baseball at a division 1 school smaller than Clemson.

When we played Clemson in basketball I pulled for Clemson.

We had lots of players who pulled for a school they grew up as a fan of in other sports.

This in no way affected my performance when I actually played Clemson in baseball.

I wanted to win the game versus Clemson just like I wanted to win every other game, maybe a little more.

Choosing a school that is the best fit for you doesn't magically make you a fan.

Maybe wearing a shirt to the game wasn't the best move but I'm not sure why it matters what shirt he was wearing. He would have been pulling for UNC either way.

Would you rather him be honest and wear a UNC shirt or have him clapping for UNC's win while wearing a Clemson football shirt?

In all likelihood, Powell will be a Clemson football fan and UNC basketball fan for the rest of his life.

Powell could have played almost anywhere. It's a mutual

Mar 4, 2019, 12:49 PM [ in reply to So what UNC sport will he be getting paid to play?*** ]

agreement between Powell and Clemson - if you play here, we'll pay your tuition.

The way things are, Clemson is not doing him a favor by giving him a scholly - he could have gotten one anywhere. (Of course, no where as good as Clemson...)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2019, 1:19 PM [ in reply to So what UNC sport will he be getting paid to play?*** ]

He's getting paid to play football at Clemson which he does. He's not getting paid to blindly support our other programs as a fan if he doesn't want to.

Mar 4, 2019, 1:19 PM

Getting paid in terms of tuition I of course assume you mean.

"blindly"?***

Mar 4, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: So what UNC sport will he be getting paid to play?*** ]

UNC use to be a good school

Mar 4, 2019, 10:51 AM

Now their degrees are worthless.

Amazing what a percent of a percent can do to your school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: In defense of Powell... My Orange-blooded son will likely

Sep 21, 2014, 12:08 AM

Cornell is on full athletic scholarship and had an offer from UNC as well. Noteven close to being the same situation.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Mar 4, 2019, 11:09 AM

His LOI made him a Clemson football player. That doesn't automatically make him a Clemson fan in all sports.

If he had offers for both and he signed to play basketball at UNC would you be upset if he was wearing a Clemson shirt to the football game when we play them next season?

Mar 4, 2019, 11:24 AM

I would love an accompanying response instead of just the TD.

We don't have to like that he is a UNC fan but it shouldn't surprise anybody that some of our football players from NC are still fans of NC schools in basketball.

Mar 4, 2019, 11:51 AM

I had a first cousin who was 11 years younger than I, and I always took him to as many Clemson games as possible, mainly football and basketball. He went to USC Aiken for two years and wanted to go to Clemson and major in pre-vet. Since Clemson didn't have a veterinary school, Georgia would take Clemson students majoring in pre-vet, but he couldn't stomach the thought of going to UGA. So he went to USC Columbia and majored in pharmacy. On the day of the Clemson-SC game where Jerry Butler made "The Catch", he called me that morning to tell me that he was wearing his Clemson orange overalls to the game and would be sitting in the Carolina student section. Now 40 years later he's taking me to Clemson games and both of his sons have gone to Clemson.

Mar 4, 2019, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: In defense of Powell... My Orange-blooded son will likely ]

That's the dumb thing about the pulse rating. It's one thing to TD an obvious troll, but people simply decide to TD anyone who has a different opinion, and then turn around and call anyone with a low pulse rating a coot.

Mar 4, 2019, 1:29 PM

There is a long way between getting a couple of TDs for disagreements and having a coot pulse.

Commenting on a subject like this would not be good policy for someone who has not built up credibility on TNET as a Clemson fan.

I don't mind the TD.

I just wanted a response or reason for opposing my opinion other than somebody being mad that I'm not mad at Powell.

Discussion boards are for comments. I would never TD because of a difference in opinion, but if someone does then I think they should at least add to the conversation.

Mar 4, 2019, 1:32 PM

You're right, especially on asking people to comment along with the TD. A few TD's isn't going to hurt anyone very much with your post history. However, it's sad that if a new poster was reading on here and either decided to not post over the fear of getting a TD, or if they did post and the TD's placed them into the "coot" rating.

Mar 4, 2019, 1:49 PM

Very true.

TNET is no different that anywhere else in the world though.

"If you want to get along, go along."

Right or wrong, that is the way to assimilate to any new environment.

Mar 4, 2019, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: In defense of Powell... My Orange-blooded son will likely ]

Snowflake

Mar 4, 2019, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: In defense of Powell... My Orange-blooded son will likely ]

+ 1 I don't agree with your original post, but I hate when people TD without owning it.

Powell did not use good judgement as it is a bad look. Perception is reality. Then again I always used good judgment at that age. ; )

Mar 4, 2019, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: In defense of Powell... My Orange-blooded son will likely ]

I wouldn't care what a UNC student athlete does, but I think it's pretty disrespectful to pull against an organization that is paying your way through college especially when playing a conference foe.

P.S. I didn't TD either of your posts, I even gave to a TU to prove it.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Mar 4, 2019, 1:04 PM

I appreciate your response.

I feel that the football program is paying for his education.

I mentioned in another post, if Clemson had won then people may have laughed at him but there would not be the same outrage.

UNC is obviously not the best choice but it's not the huge deal that it has been made.

Mar 4, 2019, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: In defense of Powell... My Orange-blooded son will likely ]

Growing up in a CU family and sitting in the same seats my entire life at DV and still sitting there this coming season and being a CU fan in all sports will never leave me. I was born a Tiger. I was accepted at CU and The Citadel. I chose to go to school at The Citadel and will remain both a CU and Citadel fan. I wasn't a scholarship athlete, just a paying student and I would never (as of Aug 1988) wear any CU clothing to a CU/Cit game, in any sport.** Even today, when CU plays Cit in football, I wear my Bulldog blue and sit there quietly. I don't like for them to play each other because it's like your lifelong best friend getting in a fight with your best college friend; not fun. Bottom line, yes Cornell will forever be a unc basketball fan but my opinion is that he put the tarhole clothing up the 4-5 years that he is at Clemson and all while PLAYING FOR A CLEMSON TEAM on scholarship. That's all I'm saying about it and I think most Tiger fans would agree. Not all, but most.

**Exception would be if one of my sons were to play at CU and be participating in the game. In that case, I would wear CU apparel at a CU/Cit game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2019, 1:10 PM

I understand your viewpoint but feel that it is a personal choice and not necessarily an expectation.

My guess is that you wear your Citadel gear while hoping the entire time that Clemson wins because losing to the Citadel would be embarassing (haha coots).

You referenced your son playing for Clemson as a reason to change your choice.

Is anyone sure that Powell doesn't have really good friends or a best friend from high school playing for UNC that he was supporting?

I don't know if he does or doesn't, but to paraphrase your words; if somebody who is like family is playing then it changes your decisions.

Mar 4, 2019, 2:59 PM

Yes, I do wear the Citadel blue but also would hate to see a coot type upset (I've seen two now by my Dogs over them in fball) to ruin our season and image to a much less inferior program. However, I don't want CU to win 63-17 either. LOL

And I see what you are saying in his defense but I think the clothing should be put away while being a CU athlete. It's crazy how much this one shirt has stirred up. In the daily grind of life it is meaningless to me but still fun to discuss with others. I don't wish any harm or ill will for CP at all.

As for having a close friend or relative of some sort on the court or on the blue belly team, with today's twitter and other means of communication, I would hope that he could put it out there that this was the reason for wearing it, in support of said family/friend.....not just because he likes the program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to start wearing a competitors shirt

Mar 4, 2019, 11:20 AM

to work and see how it goes over, as a test.

That's not even remotely comparable to Powell wearing

Mar 4, 2019, 11:25 AM

a UNC shirt to a basketball game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I’m sorry. Hopefully, he will find some fake classes***

Mar 4, 2019, 1:36 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no defense of Powell. Zero.***

Mar 4, 2019, 1:37 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You people, yes, I said YOU PEOPLE

Mar 4, 2019, 2:53 PM

just don't understand "brotherhood". I don't care what shirt he wears, but I betcha there're some basketball players that do.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al CHAMPIONS!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic