Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well, that speech wasn't exactly Reagan-esque.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 569

Well, that speech wasn't exactly Reagan-esque.

Jan 20, 2017, 12:39 PM

I think the people who respond the most to his speaking/tweeting style are those who thought Trace Adkins songs were deep. Whatever.

Glad Obama is gone, and my low expectations for Trump are the same as they were for Obama this time 8 years ago....you don't have to fix everything, just don't screw things up worse than they are.

Good luck errybody.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has promised a lot.

Jan 20, 2017, 1:18 PM

Probably not as much as Obama, but enough to be let down if you believe half of it could be done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strap in.***

Jan 20, 2017, 1:22 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strap on.******

Jan 20, 2017, 1:49 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strap an.***

Jan 20, 2017, 1:52 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strap off.******

Jan 20, 2017, 1:59 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the strapper,.***

Jan 20, 2017, 4:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take to the PR board***

Jan 20, 2017, 1:24 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm dun, sorry.***

Jan 20, 2017, 1:24 PM

Yeah...I really have a hard time listening to the man***

Jan 20, 2017, 1:25 PM

It was a recap of his campaign speech.

Jan 20, 2017, 2:24 PM

I guess he though it was a golden oldie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From a deeply desperate conservative who believes all...

Jan 20, 2017, 2:23 PM

politicians are liars, thieves and cads, I'll just say that I firmly believe that things will not get worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Economy has been improving a little each year since 2010.

Jan 20, 2017, 4:00 PM

Do you think the economy will have a huge slowdown before 2020 just due to it being time for that to happen?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's been such a slow and shallow recovery, I think the...

Jan 20, 2017, 4:03 PM

historical business cycle may not be applicable right now.

I'd bet on it. How many 10 year periods

Jan 20, 2017, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Economy has been improving a little each year since 2010. ]

have we had when it didn't happen?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mid 80's to late 90's was pretty solid***

Jan 20, 2017, 5:59 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trump is going to find it hard to work within the confines

Jan 20, 2017, 2:39 PM

of government. There's a lot he can do with his pen and phone, but only so much. The BIG changes he needs to make have to come from those 535 people over on Capitol Hill. I think republicans and democrats alike are scared of him right now and that's right where Trump probably wants them. He's an extra-political animal who is beholden to no one, and he's running the show now. Will be interesting to see how he can steer the republican agenda, if he can steer it at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, I saw one Facebook post about how

Jan 20, 2017, 2:49 PM

it was a good speech. This lady thought X Men 3 was good and likes Florida Georgia line.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never seen an X-Men movie I didn't like.

Jan 20, 2017, 4:33 PM

You gotta lower your standards for blockbusters.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm over my paranoia of the man, but think since the economy

Jan 20, 2017, 3:58 PM

has been getting better a little each year since 2010 that we may be due to have a big slowdown before 2020. It doesn't really matter who is the President is.

I was actually totally weirded out election night but when the market took off since, it really eased my fears.

I'm having a helluva time right now figuring out my

Jan 20, 2017, 4:01 PM

bond/equities mix in my 401k.

On one hand, if interest rates do rise as predicted, bonds are gonna be a crappy place to be and there's a lot of upside in stocks.

OTOH, I still feel like protecting my b-hole by keeping a healthy portion in bonds in case Trump does something nutty and the markets dive.

No clue which way to go right now.

Drop it all in a target date fund.

Jan 20, 2017, 4:02 PM

Let them figure it out.

Reap the massive rewards of a 4% gain in a market that's doing twice that.

I do have a decent portion in TRP's 2040 fund.

Jan 20, 2017, 4:10 PM

Surprisingly, 9% return since I've been in. Poor saps in 2035 fund are getting 6% and 2045 fund are getting 7%. Got lucky I guess.

henry's locked in @ 5.5% forever

Jan 20, 2017, 4:03 PM [ in reply to I'm having a helluva time right now figuring out my ]

@ my age and the money locked in
no risk needed

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If your safe play is getting you 5.5, that's strong.***

Jan 20, 2017, 4:05 PM

Alternative View article on rising rates hurting bonds:

Jan 20, 2017, 4:14 PM [ in reply to I'm having a helluva time right now figuring out my ]

Bonds and the good news about rising rates

Josh Barrickman
November 25, 2016
The first thing we learn in Fixed Income 101 is that when bond yields go up, bond prices go down—and vice versa. And since the U.S. presidential election, bond yields have gone up as the market has digested the potential implications of a Trump presidency. The market was clearly surprised by the outcome of the election and has shifted gears to contemplate higher future inflation as a result of perceived aggressive fiscal policy coming out of Washington D.C.

This all makes perfect sense; if markets think inflation will be higher in the future, investors will demand more compensation to lend money via the bond market. Combine this with anticipation that the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates this year, and—on the surface—it doesn’t paint a favorable backdrop for investing in fixed income.

But of course, there is always more to the story. Once we’ve mastered Fixed Income 101 and moved on to Fixed Income 201, we learn all about the power of compounding interest. Simply put, higher rates result in lower bond prices. But more importantly, higher rates also result in higher rates (which is more of a 301 concept!).

The implication for mutual fund investors
Higher rates mean investors’ holdings will earn a higher yield, leading to higher distributions. Investors who reinvest these distributions will be able to reinvest them at higher yields, allowing investors to benefit from the virtuous cycle of compounding interest at a higher rate.

What I just described is intuitive but probably not top-of-mind when rates are rising and bond returns are depressed. It’s a classic case of enduring short-term pain for long-term gain. In fact, long-term investors in bonds should welcome higher rates. As a rule of thumb, if rates rise today, and your time horizon is longer than the duration of your bond holdings, you may be better off in the long term.

The mantra of staying disciplined and investing for the long term is never more important than when market volatility jumps. Volatility is more commonly associated with stocks than the sleepy bond market, but the same principles apply. And given the interplay of price and yield, it’s compelling to continue to invest in fixed income and rebalance to long-term asset allocations when rates are rising. One thing we can be sure of is that the market will continue to interpret and adjust to what the economy will look like over the next four years and beyond, and there will be bouts of indigestion as new information is introduced.

When it comes to navigating uncertain times, stick with your game plan, ignore the noise, and remember the long-term outcomes—courtesy of Fixed Income 201.

Notes:

All investing is subject to risk, including the possible loss of the money you invest.
There is no guarantee that any particular asset allocation or mix of funds will meet your investment objectives or provide you with a given level of income.
Bond funds are subject to interest rate risk, which is the chance bond prices overall will decline because of rising interest rates, and credit risk, which is the chance a bond issuer will fail to pay interest and principal in a timely manner or that negative perceptions of the issuer’s ability to make such payments will cause the price of that bond to decline.

So he's basically saying "be happy with the face rate"?***

Jan 20, 2017, 4:24 PM

I'm ready for some action

Jan 21, 2017, 3:33 PM

Nothing like having an unhinged narcissistic blow hard bully taking over as Commander in Chief. I love it. I've always thrown my hat in with the best pick to be an entertaining President. And Trump certainly fits.
The possibility of waking up to a bright flash of light and then utter annilation makes for us all to have that carpe diem feel. Or it should. And also a guy who belittles and antagonizes those who dare question him or get in his way? My kind of dude.
And has anybody mentioned where Rosie O'Donnell is? Assuming she hasn't been rounded up by the new Stasi yet and thrown into a gulag in North Dakota, I suggest Trump put her in stocks in front of The White House so he can publicly ridicule her for the next 4 years. What great entertainment that would be.

Replies: 27
| visibility 569
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic