Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Media hype & Miss. HS football coach dies of COVID! No....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 3,181

Media hype & Miss. HS football coach dies of COVID! No....

Aug 14, 2020, 9:58 AM

There was a previous post made about this, but it had degenerated a bit, so figured I'd start a new thread. Short story is that the media has reported that a high school football coach in Mississippi has died of COVID-19. Wait, no, that is NOT what the media is reporting. Links are below.

Upon further review here is what we KNOW:

* He was 42 years old
* He was never confirmed for COVID-19
* He had been self-quarantined with similar symptoms (which could be any number of viruses or illnesses, including but certainly not limited to COVID-19)

“He did self-quarantine a week ago Thursday,” said Lafayette County Schools Superintendent Adam Pugh. “I don’t know the symptoms he had, but he felt like he needed to do that. I don’t know if that contributed to his death . . . I simply don’t know the answer to that.”

“No one has told me officially that he had COVID, but I do know he was self-quarantining this week,” Pugh said.

"The exact cause of death is not yet known."

There has been no outbreak. Rather, according to one of the more salacious reports, this has prompted "fears that an outbreak could occur the week the district’s teachers and students return to classrooms for the first time since March." This pretty much sums up what's driving everything right now - fear.

In short, we have no idea why he died or what he died of. But suspicion is enough for a salacious news headline these days because, hey - we need more panic, right??!!

There will likely be many reports like this as schools and some athletic programs start back up. Read and listen to them with the greatest discretion. COVID-like is not the same as confirmed COVID. Symptoms are not the same as a positive diagnosis. There is a lot of word-play to weed through to get to the truth. Positive tests are definitely not the same as being symptomatic.

The media is a business that runs on profit just like the rest. Their market right now is clicks and views - the more they get, the more they can charge advertisers and the more they make. Very simple. What gets clicks and views right now? Anything related to COVID. So if something MAY be related to COVID they'll run that in the headline. Not saying don't believe everything you read, but do read everything they print/say - every word - and keep it in context rather than just buying in to the panic. Panic and fear is good for their business. Don't buy in to it. Be smart.

Just another case of media hype at the moment until the true cause of death is determined. If they find no link to COVID-19, I'm pretty sure we'll not really hear much about that, if at all, as opposed to if they do. We only need to know select information, apparently.

https://www.djournal.com/sports/high-school/longtime-lafayette-assistant-dies-at-42/article_0c4353ba-ca90-5ed3-bb9e-7785609b1271.html

https://wreg.com/news/lafayette-county-teacher-dies-after-bout-with-covid-19/

https://mississippitoday.org/2020/08/06/mississippi-teachers-death-during-first-week-of-school-stokes-covid-19-outbreak-fears/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what else you KNOW

Aug 14, 2020, 10:06 AM

Media reported he had Covid-like symptoms.

The school superintendent is not his doctor.

No one may EVER know his cause of death outside of his immediate family due to privacy laws.

There have been MANY people die, likely of the virus, that had known symptoms but were never tested.

Net, no one knows anything about his cause of death at least according to the article you posted. You are the only one that states that someone may have claimed he died of Covid, according to the subject line in your post.

What did the media do wrong here?

Re: Media hype & Miss. HS football coach dies of COVID! No....

Aug 14, 2020, 10:28 AM

The media is a business that runs on profit just like the rest. Their market right now is clicks and views - the more they get, the more they can charge advertisers and the more they make. Very simple. What gets clicks and views right now? Anything related to COVID. So if something MAY be related to COVID they'll run that in the headline. Not saying don't believe everything you read, but do read everything they print/say - every word - and keep it in context rather than just buying in to the panic. Panic and fear is good for their business. Don't buy in to it. Be smart.

100% true statement.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

42 year old football coach that dies while

Aug 14, 2020, 10:30 AM

self quarantining due to possible Covid symptoms that dies in a rural area is I would think fit for a news story, at least locally.

No?

Re: 42 year old football coach that dies while

Aug 14, 2020, 11:24 AM

This is a sad story and I hate it for his wife, family and friends. The young man sounded like someone I'd like to be around, a well rounded individual.

However, I'm talking about the media in general. They exaggerate so much and their demonstrative adjectives are only used to sell their "product" and entice the public. They know what sells and what the majority of the people are "buying". The headline to this story automatically will lead most to believe he died from Covid. People will begin to talk, "we shouldn't have a football season!! More of us will die from Covid." IMO, that is an attention grabber.

Last May, 2019, my sister died suddenly while at home babysitting. No autopsy was performed and the cause of death will never be known. Likely, a heart-attack. In May 2020 the headline would have probably read, "Local babysitter found dead, Covid-19 suspected". It's all news and drama, but it sells. I'm just agreeing with his point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

42 year old football coach that dies due to possible heroin withdrawl

Aug 14, 2020, 11:32 AM [ in reply to 42 year old football coach that dies while ]

symptoms in a rural area is , I would think, fit for news

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

TOTALLY AGREE

Aug 14, 2020, 12:26 PM

But like, no one has mentioned heroin though. Good hypothetical though.

I am a 54 year old with allergy issues.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:39 AM [ in reply to 42 year old football coach that dies while ]

Those issues are also listed as COVID-like symptoms. So, I should self-quarantine, no?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Great question!

Aug 14, 2020, 12:29 PM

That's up to you.

Assuming the coach had no allergy issues (I don't know this to be a fact), it would make perfect sense for him to self quarantine.

But you probably don't care about that. I mean, maybe you do. The coworker in the cube next to you shows up with a fever, a cough, and loss of taste or smell. Should he quarantine or naw?

I don't have to worry about cubicles. I have an office.

Aug 14, 2020, 4:45 PM

And, I work with professionals who don't come in when they are sick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Quite the status symbol

Aug 14, 2020, 4:52 PM

having an office. Good stuff.

What point are you trying to make here about "professionals" not coming in when sick?

The football coach was self quarantining with Covid symptoms. You seem to take issue with that?

Insert eye roll here.***

Aug 18, 2020, 11:27 AM

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish here...

Aug 14, 2020, 10:43 AM

Does it even matter if the coach had Covid-19? The tragedy is that a well respected 42-year old of that community died. That's the media story. The point of this article wasn't to do anything other than inform readers that a beloved middle school teacher and football coach had tragically and suddenly passed away at a young age.

Even if this coach didn't die of coronavirus (although it sounds like he probably did), at least 167,000 Americans have also already died from complications from the virus. We're in the middle of a pandemic. If you have contact with enough people, it's statistically probable that you're eventually going to get the virus.

I'm also not sure what you wanted the media to do. It's almost universally accepted that when a 42-year old dies, you report on the cause of death. What can be reported at this time is the coach had "covid-19 symptoms" and decided that he needed to self-quarantine. While quarantining he died. That's all the media has reported.

Also, I don't see where the media reported that the coach "100% had coronavirus". Is that just something that you personally assumed, but then after reading more carefully, realized that it wasn't confirmed in the article?

It seems like people are always looking for a conspiracy theory these days. There is always someone out to get them. If everyone would just work together and assume the best of each other, we'd have a much better country.

There was a day when Ts & Ps to Family and Friends was all _

Aug 14, 2020, 11:11 AM

that needed to be said.

Finding justification to blast the media suggests predisposition or ulterior motive.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So glad you started a second thread on this topic

Aug 14, 2020, 12:50 PM

And overstated the media claims at the same time. Worst than the FakeNews that you supposedly despise.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Media hype & Miss. HS football coach dies of COVID! No....

Aug 14, 2020, 4:57 PM

So you made a post to lesson why he died. Im sure he died of the common cold then. Heck, half the country has some sort of underlying condition so it must be ok.

School is just starting. What you gonna say when 5000 parents die across the country from kids bringing it home from school? Thats ok too? Guess they all died of something else huh.

You guys just keep on not taking things seriously.
You are all smarter than me for sure.

I just find it odd...

Aug 15, 2020, 2:45 AM

That a person that was caring enough to self quarantine did not get to a hospital when symptoms got worse. That makes no sense. Never heard of someone dying suddenly with just symptoms. I think there is more to this story. Things just don't add up...jmo

Replies: 16
| visibility 3,181
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic