Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where does the Dow bottom out at?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Where does the Dow bottom out at?

Mar 23, 2020, 8:44 AM

Asking for a friend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure it can go lower than zero.

Mar 23, 2020, 8:47 AM

But, I'm no stockbroker.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know one expert who disagrees....

Mar 23, 2020, 9:41 AM

Robert Downey, Jr.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that was a creepy movie.

Mar 23, 2020, 9:48 AM

kinda like theses days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tried to go back and watch some of those more

Mar 23, 2020, 9:50 AM

“Serious” brat pack movies.....less than zero, bright lights, big city........they just aged so poorly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

futures market liked the Fed's new plan news...

Mar 23, 2020, 8:56 AM

I personally don't watch the DOW too closely, but I'd go 16-18k? Maybe touch 15k and find bottom a little above it?

Been watching / trading the S&P...I see it getting in the 1.9k - 2.1k range before things start to turn up. Then will there be a small move up before earnings season, or is that already priced in?

Basically I think there's at least 10-20% more left to go down, pending miracluous cures and/or stupid amounts of Fed capital injection (happening at alarming rates to no avail)

If congress ever agrees to the stimulus package, that'll give the markets a bump for sure, but not sure yet how long that will last.

Fed put Slick 50 in the economic engine.***

Mar 23, 2020, 9:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who knows. First you have to blow the debt off the top

Mar 23, 2020, 9:14 AM

and see where the labor-driven traditional economic metrics put the market. THEN subtract the lost GDP/wages, etc. from that. It all depends on how much froth was on the market to begin with. When you reach the coffee/liquid underneath, then subtract lost jobs/wages/GDP, etc.

Could be 10,000, could be 5,000, could be lower. I would think a realistic bottom would be around 8-10K. We have so much liquidity and debt tied up (leveraged) on the assumption of a steady and growing bedrock of wages/labor/GDP output, and that bedrock is attacked directly by this virus. So everything stacked and leveraged on that, much done irresponsibly, will collapse. The carpet has been pulled out from underneath the market. We can handle debt crises and other problems. Fed pumping, lowering interest rates, bailouts, etc. What we can't handle is people not working.

When this is over, and the market regains its feet, wherever that is, it will be based on a whole new system, as the prior one based on debt will have collapsed. It will be a new system where the assumption of labor and productivity are no longer assumptions that can be leveraged as they are not guaranteed. Don't expect a "recovery" to anything near what we had....for generations. Until people forget the mistakes of the past and we do this all over again.

The 2019 market was based on wealth we never had. It was based on assumptions that a pandemic virus will destroy. The market will go on and be fine, but nothing like we've enjoyed for decades now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like you are saying the powers that be need to let

Mar 23, 2020, 9:44 AM

trickle down economics work rather than installing gutters way upon the org chart.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never understood how Reagan was able to

Mar 23, 2020, 9:51 AM

pull the wool over the eyes of the sheep for all this time with trickle down.

You have a faucet at the top. And the hope is there will be some trickle at the bottom (which has been proven over and over again to not work).

Great sign me up.

I'll take the flood/float method. Flood the bottom of the pyramid and let everybody float upwards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

We saw exactly what was expected with the 2017 tax bill -

Mar 23, 2020, 10:36 AM

companies took the extra proceeds and pumped them into stock purchases and dividends with far less going to workers and wages. This tactic then inflated stock prices (likely 20% past what the actual economy was delivering), which seems to be the primary economic score card that this admin was chasing. Even early steps in fighting the virus impact seemed to focus more on protecting the Dow's numbers. As late as yesterday even McConnell is suggesting that speed is essential in passing this massive package now in order to calm the markets. When the economy turns back on, the markets will come back - nothing else we do now is going to change that. It will still free fall until we see a light at the end of the tunnel, and a light that looks like it will last.

Employment and an economy at work, not idling, is the only tonic the Dow will respond to long term, and all of our stimulus efforts need to be aimed at that. Survive the shutdown - get back into production as quickly as possible once the coast is clear.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I want the economy to work like the thing they use on

Mar 23, 2020, 1:55 PM [ in reply to I never understood how Reagan was able to ]

pint glasses a the bar. Shoot up from the bottom. Amazon and Wal-Mart would make a killing if they'd prop up the poors better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My meter is off***

Mar 23, 2020, 3:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Where does the Dow bottom out at?

Mar 23, 2020, 11:22 AM

So like, tomorrow?***

Mar 23, 2020, 11:46 AM

By wednesday***

Mar 23, 2020, 3:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a few weeks behind.

Mar 23, 2020, 11:28 AM

I conjectured 17K for Friday a week ago. I 'm figuring it will hit that by Wednesday now (we're at 18.5 now). I think it will drop to around 12-14K, hover there, unless we lock down the whole country, then it will nosedive into the 5K range. It may bottom around 3K.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic