Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ask the Coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,531

Ask the Coach

Nov 13, 2008, 11:22 AM

Ask the Coach

This week TigerNet readers asked Dabo Swinney about Danny Ford, using C.J Spiller as a wideout and adding another Howard's Rock to Death Valley. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ask the Coach- my experience with the rock

Nov 13, 2008, 11:46 AM

I went to a game two or three years ago and decided I'd touch the rock beforehand. In all the games I've been to I had never done that but had noticed other fans doing it.

Well that day we lost. I've been back many times but never touched it. No I know I didn't do it but I wasn't taking any chances then or now. Maybe one day in the future I'll try again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

try it against duke...wat the H3LL...go all in***

Nov 13, 2008, 12:01 PM

I didnt touch the rock until the day I graduated

Nov 13, 2008, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Ask the Coach- my experience with the rock ]

I have a picture of me touching the rock with my diploma in hand. I always felt like the rock was just for the players to touch and as a child I would get mad when other people touched it.

Guess you didn't give 110%***

Nov 13, 2008, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Ask the Coach- my experience with the rock ]

Re: Ask the Coach

Nov 13, 2008, 11:53 AM

Nice idea in theory about the replicas of the Rock.

But, IMO, there's only one Rock and all others would just be imitations and cheapen the meaning of the real Rock.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^sensible answer^^^^***

Nov 13, 2008, 12:26 PM

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Replicas of "The Rock" are cheesy

Nov 13, 2008, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Ask the Coach ]

The rock is so special you can only see it by actually being there. Everyone is not supposed to be able to rub it. It is for the players and coaches and we just watch the experience.

Please do not cheapen it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Players are also supposed to touch it only if they are

Nov 13, 2008, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Ask the Coach ]

willing to give maximal effort. We all know THAT didn't happen on a consistent basis, yet they were still allowed to touch it. That cheapens the meaning of the rock much more than putting replicas in the concourses.

For what it's worth, if I were the head coach I would not let underachieving or sluggish players or coaches rub the rock and run down the hill. Have a bad week of practice where you don't give your best effort? You can wait on the field while your teammates run down the hill. Perhaps it's a drastic measure to some, but players and coaches must recognize what it means to put on the Clemson uniform and run down the hill before 80,000 fans. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Players are also supposed to touch it only if they are

Nov 14, 2008, 6:16 AM

I like that. Would put some humility in the players. Also it's something I could actually see Dabo doing.

I don't always talk shit on the internet, but when I do I prefer TNet. Stay thirsty my friends

I'm not rubbing a ridiculous plastic rock in the portal of

Nov 13, 2008, 12:24 PM

DV. That's gotta be the most cootish thing I've ever heard!

Dabo, you don't have to agree with every fan's hairbrained idea.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

^^^^ medication not working^^^^***

Nov 13, 2008, 12:27 PM

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

I agree... somethings should be left alone.***

Nov 13, 2008, 6:16 PM [ in reply to I'm not rubbing a ridiculous plastic rock in the portal of ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

So you're saying you would only touch a hard rock??***

Nov 13, 2008, 11:31 PM [ in reply to I'm not rubbing a ridiculous plastic rock in the portal of ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only one Rock and let's keep it that way.***

Nov 13, 2008, 6:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Only one Rock and let's keep it that way.***

Nov 13, 2008, 6:19 PM

I still support dabo, but this definently sounds like a bone head idea. I do agree with judge about making some players stand on the field.

Here's the problems with Rock replicas

Nov 14, 2008, 11:35 AM

1. If you're going to be a fan and touch the Rock, then you better give 110% as a fan. That means standing up for every defensive series and yelling your head off. How many fans are going to give that 110%? Not many. But I doubt they're going to keep their filthy hands off the rock(s).

2. Related to #1, it will dilute if not altogether dismiss the psychological value, both to players and fans, of the real Rock. I know I've touched the Rock after games and have done so with reverence, respect, and awe. It's an emotional experience and, to me as a fan and booster, a renewal of commitment to the university and its athletic program. Having 25 rocks throughout the stadium cheapens that meaning.

3. You just know opposing fans, especially a Gamecock, will vandalize the replicas at every opportunity. Whether it's permanent (damage) or temporary (ketchup, spit, you name it), they're going to get abused.

4. Fire/evacuation/drunk hazard. Enough said.

I'm sure Dabo was being as much diplomatic as he was being enthusiastic when he "endorsed" the idea. And he might love the idea, but that doesn't mean he's going to love its implementation. Personally, I think it's silly.

Sorry for the rambling. Didn't mean it to get that long.

#1 should read "that means, among other things, ..."***

Nov 14, 2008, 11:35 AM

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,531
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic