Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration

Jul 16, 2020, 9:09 AM

When the Clemson students are signing up for classes, they are being told one thing, only to find out they are being lied to. My kid registered for classes with his advisor the other day. He had 1 online class and the rest in person classes. Now he gets the news that he has 2 online classes and 3-4 hybrid classes. I wrote the Clemson President last night about this. I know this is not just going on at Clemson, but the students should not be lied to. Be straight up with them.
Hopefully this will be a 1 semester thing (the election is in November). Otherwise Clemson needs to cut prices for the students. My wife is a teacher and online classes simply do not prepare you as well. I'll hold out criticizing too much at this point.
Has anyone else heard about this yet?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

That is not good for your son

Jul 16, 2020, 9:23 AM

Hopefully the results of the election will in fact help stem the Rona but I don't think the President of Clemson is part of the election. I could be wrong. I don't follow politics because they all lie and stuff

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration

Jul 16, 2020, 9:35 AM

I think that "lied" is a strong word. Maybe the professor for that 2nd class just tested positive for the virus and can't teach in person, maybe he broke his leg, maybe he quit and his replacement lives in Mongolia. I think that there will be a lot of fluctuations in format for the foreseeable future and the celebration has to be about getting that acceptance letter that so many coveted but didn't receive!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2020, 9:37 AM

I agree- bamboozled, bait and switch, or misled are probably better choices

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2020, 9:41 AM

Don't think the presidential election will have any outcome on the virus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2020, 11:30 AM

It’s not the virus. The virus is real. The election won’t affect it. It’s the reaction to the virus. Media coverage of a (D) pandemic is very different than an (R) pandemic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Just like almost every school district in the state

Jul 16, 2020, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration ]

- sent out plans for school opening and yesterday, our fine example of a leader ( the governor) announced that he wants all kids to be face-to-face with teachers 5 days a week or full-time online if parents choose that option. Greenville County says that will require 6 hours to get kids to school and 6 hours to get them all home - that's half their day so with any instruction at all, the kids will have less than 6 hours of sleep each night if they take any time to eat and bathe at home.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just like almost every school district in the state

Jul 16, 2020, 11:27 AM

Clover--- Did he say why the big difference in getting the students to and from school will increase to six hours if they open this fall compared to how long it took before the virus hit us? I have no idea why it should take longer

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Limiting the number of students on a school bus, ie, more

Jul 16, 2020, 1:13 PM

routes and time involved. Transportation cost will soar exponentially!

Was the professor from the 2nd class

Jul 16, 2020, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration ]

wearing dark shades? ??

https://youtu.be/JFvujknrBuE

Jul 16, 2020, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration ]

I hardly think getting the Rona would keep him from teaching in the fall.

Jul 16, 2020, 9:41 AM

Please share President Clements reply to you when you receive it.

You mean...the reply from the President’s intern?***

Jul 16, 2020, 9:49 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You mean...the reply from the President’s intern?

Jul 16, 2020, 9:51 AM

Hey he's trying to pick a decent commish candidate that caan be spurned for some UNC lackie

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just glad i went to Clemson before the Tuition boom

Jul 16, 2020, 9:51 AM

I graduated in 2003 (prior to all the new stuff) and remember glancing at tuition cost some years later and it had pretty much doubled. Now its not even doable. I would have just went to tech school if it cost 35 grand a year. I think it was somewhere around 11 thousand out of state when i went there. Having that much debt right out of school is jail. Pick your major very carefully if you're going to be in the hole 80-100k on day one.

Jul 16, 2020, 9:57 AM

I’m guessing had universities told the truth the only revenue they would be entitled to would be simply tuition, no student fees, no housing, no meal plans, no parking tickets, etc because disclosing they have no intention of in-person learning means everybody would have stayed home. This would also decimate small town colleges like Clemson even more than has already taken place.

Jul 16, 2020, 10:01 AM

I will definitely let y'all know what President Clements said when I get a reply.

Jul 16, 2020, 10:04 AM

My daughter had a similar experience while registering. I do not believe Clemson is "lying" to the students, rather we have to understand that this is a very fluid and every changing situation. I truly believe Clemson is trying to provide the highest quality education to their students, while balancing student health and safety. I too have a tough time paying full tuition for online classes, but if it takes a semester or two to work through this pandemic, I am willing to help support my Alma Mater financially.

Faculty are still in the process of deciding which classes

Jul 16, 2020, 10:06 AM

Are going to be online vs in person vs hybrid. They may have looked and seen how many people registered for a class before switching. I'd ask the advisor before you send an e-mail that will never be responded to

Clemson

Jul 16, 2020, 10:10 AM

Do you not know that the situation changes daily because of Coronavirus????? Man, you jump too fast!! Patience is needed at this time!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be that it just changed. The biggest lie you've

Jul 16, 2020, 10:10 AM

been told is that the virus leaves with the election.

I think I'd check into that.

Unless you are reasonably certain the earth is flat, if so carry on.

Never ceases to amaze me that apparently, the whole

Jul 16, 2020, 10:13 AM

world is in on this COVID conspiracy. It is the most well-orchestrated political coup of all time.

**gag***

Covid doesn't go away, just the embellishments go away

Jul 16, 2020, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Could be that it just changed. The biggest lie you've ]

Do you agree that there is some sensationalism/over-exaggeration of the stats or do you feel the reporting from obvious liberal leaning media sources is 95-100% honest? If you're leaning to the latter statement then maybe I should just leave you be.... there are two sides to the coin. One side is saying its all 100% about the election and the other side is believing every doomsday story and living in a hole. Its both.

I believe there is a nasty strand of COVid (which is the common cold/ btw wheres the vaccine for that?) that is more dangerous than most Covid strands out there b/c its new. And with it being new, it is more potent for some folks b/c there aren't the specific antibodies in our system to fight that strand yet. But from the updated CDC stats there's a great chance your body will fend it off. I think its like a 98% chance. But obviously there is always a chance it won't fend it off.

I wouldn't be so keen on the vaccine b/c they've never created a vaccine for the other covids so how is there going to be one for this in 6 months? I do think that the election year is a massive factor (unfortunately) in how the epidemic is being reported and how local policy and guidelines are being implemented. I believe that politics steers alot of our laws and guidelines these days. There's too much corrupt money in DC and Trump wasn't part of the country club so to speak and has screwed up alot of these senators/bureaucrats bank accounts.

Unfortunately we are just along for the ride. But stop being worked adn getting polarized. You're feeding the narrative.

I'm not real sure what to believe other than:

Jul 16, 2020, 11:14 AM

The virus is real and not made up.

It has killed a lot of people.

The US election has nothing to do with anything, and this based on what is happening worldwide relative to what is happening in the US (commitment or lackthereof to prevention measures).

I'm not worked up about polarization, more relying on first hand observations. I do know a mid 40s man in good health and no underlying that is now DEAD because of it. Left a large family behind.

Have seen the effects first hand with a positive case in my home. Yes, effects are minimal for some but obviously not for the others.

Saying it will just "go away" come election time is equally as stupid as saying the earth is flat.

These are facts. That's what I like to deal in.

Re: Covid doesn't go away, just the embellishments go away

Jul 18, 2020, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Covid doesn't go away, just the embellishments go away ]

The election has nothing to do with covid. Good grief . Our country is ran by Republicans... Republicans closed our country down. Democrats had no power to close our country down for any time. Then Republicans opened our country up too soon, and we did not flatten the curve enough because of a failed leadership from the White House. Trump should have resigned and let Pence take over. His leadership skills are abysmal. In his failure, he blames everyone else.

Jul 16, 2020, 10:12 AM

You kid was not "lied to" by Clemson. Likely that was the accurate information at the time.

Information changes, rather rapidly. Heck a LOT of the details for a lot of classes are not worked out until the last moment in pre-Covid times and with both physical restrictions and resource need, expect things to change. Heck, pre-Covviud you could have classes outright cancelled because of various reasons (registration number, faculty load, employment, or facilities etc).

My wife (and Clemson Alum) still works in Higher Ed up "nawth". The amount of work going into getting things ready and the message being sent out is beyond staggering. She is putting in 14+ hour days "working from home". Heck, she often has to wait for messages vetted out of the Gov. office, system office, Chancellor/Provost, etc before being able to communicate with students. That can take WEEKS. PIOs are gong NUTS. They are working harder now than any Epi person I know.

I have taught online, hybrid and in-person classes from 2010-2017. In fact, my first teaching courses as (not as a TA) were online. I would agree that graduate-level benefits from in-erson, undergrads-not so much -especially quantitative fields like engineering. Philosophy and conversational courses struggle online. Hybrid classes are actually BETTER than in-person as the contact time often requires more engagement. You cut through the fat so to speak.

But if you follow Linda Nilson's teaching at its best (Clemson folk) and the levels of learning, the basic undergraduate information really is not in-person heavy, while synthesis and evaluation (advanced undergrads, graduate students) need a conversational level knowledge. Do students benefit from in-person contact. Yeah.

If online isn't as good, then it is either the student AND the instructor.I often found that many students didn't take the online item as seriously. I also noted, there are a lot of instructors that treated online as lesser as well. Some just talk in-front of the camera and call it a day. Just like thee bad in-person Profs, some can't be bothered to do prep work.

However, as a UN-tenured new PhD, you really have to hustle to teach well for that positive class review. Even online. My teaching feedback was as good as any in-person class for my hybrid and online courses (actually a small rounding error higher than in-person).

For those wanting "lower tuition" stop being unrealistic. One, the degree isn't any less valuable. #2 the cost of the education is going UP because of the Covid issue and the resources needed (like my wife earning obscene overtime right now). Not getting a tuition HIKE is a big deal... as those building still need to be maintained and then adding digital capacity isn't cheap when EVERYONE is demanding it.

Jul 16, 2020, 10:22 AM

Luckily my son is very smart/driven and will excel no matter what. Hopefully Clemson has worked out the kinks in online learning. My son has told me that social networks are exploding with these same complaints all over the nation. Clemson is doing better than most. Again I hope this is a one semester thing (whatever the reason).

Jul 16, 2020, 10:24 AM

well with a dad named pig, how could he not be smart. lol. you are preaching to the choir with me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2020, 10:37 AM

Thanks... I needed a laugh. He's been called Little Pig or Piglet his whole life by my buddies.

Jul 16, 2020, 10:55 AM

LOL!

That is how I "earned" my handle. Futuredoc.

I married LittleDoc. Her father is "Doc" and I was engaged to her when I just started my PhD, thus "FutureDoc"

Jul 16, 2020, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration ]

Clemson has been fairly leading-edge in a lot of programs for online education. Now, it can vary program-to-program as some departments are more/less adaptave to distance concepts. I don't remember any online Architecture activities, but Public Administration/Policy was fairly positive. Really, if a program needed to jump between Greenville/Clemson then it was a lot more adaptive back in the day. However, if it was "Pickens-centric" as we would say, then it was a bit tough. That being said, my time in the BioSci could/should have been online... but that was a bit of 600-level work sans labs.

What is interesting, it was a lot of us ABD, new PhD, Postdocs that were experimenting with online courses in 2008+. The difference between now and then is amazing. This isn't a new thing... it is just new to some of the disciplines (and non-innovative profs). I would just say that the advent of SSDs is the biggest improvement since folks can reboot if having driver issue... but most under 25s have at least some experience with streaming to getting kids up online is the easier part. It used to be that you schedule am extra hour to work through folks technical difficulty.

And those concerned about lab times, those are actually some of the more perfect uses of hybrid classes.

Jul 16, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration ]

My daughter will be a freshman at Clemson this year and I don't feel that she is being lied to. Its a fluid situation and I am proud that she is going to Clemson and that she earned as many academic scholarships as she did. It makes it easier for the parents.

I see that two of her friends that were going to USC have elected to take classes at Greenville Tech this fall. It will be interesting to see how that works out for them. I feel that being on campus even with a mix of course delivery methods is going to help my daughter develop more than living at home and taking a mix of classes. That's not a slam on Greenville Tech but I think that getting out of the nest is an important step for young people and Clemson is a good place to be.

Like someone else said, many people in education are working their tails off right now trying to figure things out.

Jul 16, 2020, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration ]

I’m curious how your wife has a degree from Clemson and works in Higher Ed but is being paid hourly obscene amounts of overtime. Is she not salaried or is she a consultant billing hours?

Jul 16, 2020, 10:48 AM

She is an odd bird here. She is salaried, non-exempt, non-at will -AND- she has a marker due to her position as an "essential/mandatory" employee. Being a Clemson alum , she really negotiated well after an issue with some craziness a while back. While she does and can accrue comp-time under normal circumstances and takes it, the nature of her position often inhibits the ability for her to take that time as, for example, when she took 12 weeks of maternity leave, she never dipped into her sick/vacation - and could take another 12 weeks if she wanted to before hitting that - so she can and does recoup "overtime" hours.

This is common in public safety fields since you average police officer is salaried but also have specific previsions about overtime here. She is not a sworn officer but she has a similar setup since in times of an emergency, she will clock obscene hours but she just can't take the next 2 months off because of that flow. Makes sense?

Jul 16, 2020, 1:22 PM

Yes - thanks for the explanation. I believe this led to heavy financial obligations due public service workers when it came time to retire and they cashed in all their sick days, etc. It bled over to the private sector where now they try to limit you to only carry over 5 days from year to year. I discharged from the Army 30 days early under that system way back in the day.

5000 Clemson Students With the Flu

Back in the early 1980's (I think 82-83) there was a bad outbreak of the Flu at Clemson. Over 5000 students reported to Redfern Health Center with the flu. Back then that was almost 1/2 of the student body. The university did not shut down. We kept going to class even though many students were out sick. It was a very strange semester, but we got through it ok. Sports continued, bars stayed open, no masks were worn, and people came to work unless they were sick. After this virus shutdown, I expect no university will "weather the storm" ever again. A new precedent has been set, and it will be used over and over in the future.
As you can tell, I am beginning to let this thing get in my head. I think it's called depression.

Back when you could smoke on airplanes, too***

Jul 16, 2020, 10:23 AM

Clemson

How does Clemson do the labs online?

When I was at Clemson I had quite a few labs (Chem 101, Chem 102, EE electronics labs etc...) so how are they doing these? These labs were required and best I recall they were a portion of the credit hours in a course or required credit hours themselves. Is Clemson waiving the labs right now?

If I were a current underclassmen and Clemson was going to mostly online courses, I would strongly consider taking a semester off until regular classroom instruction resumed. You only get this college experience once in life and I really wouldn't want to spend a year of it doing online classes....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Online labs sound great!

Jul 16, 2020, 10:59 AM

I never got much value out of in-person labs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Did you not take any sciences?***

Jul 16, 2020, 6:24 PM

Jul 16, 2020, 10:25 AM

I feel your pain. They misled me back in 83 that after graduation it would all be a cakewalk, all doors would open, Lear jets and yachts abounding. They even had the wife of the Lear jet company speak at our graduation. Over the year I've learned to settle with commercial first class and 50 ft cabin cruisers on the lake. I'm still bitter.

A couple of questions...

Jul 16, 2020, 10:26 AM

Why criticize at all? Do you think Clemson is trying to set it up so that the professor's have to teach less or do less work? CU is trying to keep student's safe and I'm fine with erring on the safe side. Best bet if not happy may be to pull your kid and let them sit out a semester; but keep in mind an A is an A either in class or virtual.

Also, what's going to happen after the election that will make Covid disappear?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The global conspiracy involving national, state, and local

Jul 16, 2020, 11:02 AM

governments, as well as various organizations and even the majority of healthcare workers, will cease to exist after the election. They are all in cahoots to undermine Trump, and will thus come clean and admit that this was all fake. All of those deaths and cases you've heard about are all made up.

I can't believe everyone doesn't see right through this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

And you left off "worldwide" in your description

Jul 16, 2020, 11:16 AM

of all involved.

Jul 16, 2020, 10:34 AM

The word "hybrid" could mean that the class will be taught person-to-person but students have the option of staying home or in the dorm to take it. If this is the case your daughter will be able to attend the classes in person or face-to-face in the classroom with the professor.

Jul 16, 2020, 10:42 AM

I think hybrid means part in class / part online. Does anyone know?

I've taken classes where you could log in online

Jul 16, 2020, 10:53 AM

or show up in person if you wanted, the professor setup a video of their computer to view.

Clemson

Jul 16, 2020, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Students Being Lied to During Registration ]

Hybrid class normally mean there is a lecture component that is often handled online and an in-person element that involved non-lecture options. The in-person can vary on the discipline but often labs, colloquiums discussion, studio work tend to be the common items.

The online could be two-fold depending on the faculty member. Either an active appointment session or pre-recorded, at your own time. colloquiums For me, 80% of the time I would have an "appointment" lecture that was NOT recorded. Thus, the student had to be present and engaged during that window. I would have poll quizzes: 100/0 during the lecture. Thus the student had to be online and responsive during the online session. If they student wasn't there or not at their computer at the pooling time (it would log as absent and that would be in their attendance 10% of the final grade). If a student's name is on the online roster but not answering the polling question, I would treat it as if they were asleep in class - ie no engaged. I would do this for like a lecture-hall style material with me talking, sharing my screen while I worked through the lesson plan.

In some cases, I would provide an "at you own time" online material video, pre-recorded video, etc. If I was at a conference so something, I would do this rather than cancelling class. Normally, there would be a small assignment given somewhere near the end. Students could do it whenever they wanted by a certain date (linked with the assignment) but I normally used this more for working professionals and not undergrads, especially if it was not linked to another constraint.

The in-person item for me was normally related to project/lab discussion time. Rarely any lecture during those sessions. Thus students were providing a deliverable, going GIS/quant work/etc, or there for a round-table. However, with all of this, it was pre-covid so I could being a lot of folks to a class.

Jul 16, 2020, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all of your helpful information today. I will pass this on to my son and see what happens.
The students are all so bummed out about this right now. I hope for all of our sake a vaccine comes along sooner rather than later.

Last I heard was there were a few options for the professors

Jul 16, 2020, 12:58 PM

but basically if a student had a MWF class, they would attend one day in class and the others online.

Professors had the option of doing synchronous online (students attend online with at the same time others are in class) or asynchronous, where they might teach the same thing in class on MWF and all other work would be online, but not during class hours.

All exams most likely online, meaning proctored by using webcams, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2020, 10:37 AM

I've got a novel idea. How about sitting down with the student when they register and say something like "As you may understand, how we conduct classes this semester is going to be a very fluid situation. Anything I tell you now is likely to change, but presently it looks like you will have just one on-line class and the rest in person. The only thing we are sure of however, is that it will probably change as classes are made up and professors assigned. Please don't be disappointed if you wind up with less in-person classes and more on-line or hybrid classes."

Telling the truth is real easy and takes like 15 seconds more to explain the situation.

Jul 16, 2020, 11:31 AM

I agree.

But I also bet that *that* is exactly what happened.

I have noticed that folks do not want/hear dynamic answers. So you can give them that insightful answer but they will not "hear" it.

One of my favorite Clemson experiences is such an example. It was June/July-ish was at Parking Services waiting for something (a replacement parking permit since back then the permits were hangtags and owning a convertible, it was not completely uncommon for folks to cut the top and steal the hangtag. After the first top ruined, I just left it unlocked and used that weird scooter "tag lock" wrapped around the rear-view mirror. Still did not stop it completely. After that, I knew the parking folks well. Anyway, a parent/undergrad was screaming at the desk person until the then parking director stepped out (Geary Robinson I think - think short retired-cop with a 70s mustache in 2007). I got to know him well as I lobbied him non-stop colloquiumsfor a sticker relentlessly... and in his final year or so, he gave us the south carolina shaped tigerhead design. I take complete credit there (not really me doing though).

Anyway, the parent was there over the "cost" of a permit. Like $150 for the year which is CHEAP overall. Anyway, they had an email in hand stating the cost of the "current" summer permit was like $30 or so and they demanded the fall permit at that price since that is what they were told via email, etc in May/June. They were not going to go online and pay $150 when the current price is $30 blah blah blah. I feel sorry for that kid as obviously their parent was a coot and this was a big step up for them.

So that is my shake you head, level of ### not listening to context... oh well. Parking brings outcolloquiums the stupid.

Good point. So if my 8th and 11th graders go online

Jul 16, 2020, 10:38 AM

I shouldn't have to pay the same taxes.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

My dental hygienist was telling me about this situation

Jul 16, 2020, 10:51 AM

involving her son who is a grad student at Clemson. She felt they were not being upfront about the registration.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

At NCState - almost all classes are listed as on-line, but

Jul 16, 2020, 10:53 AM

they are supposedly just getting the infrastructure set up ahead of time - "just in case"...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2020, 11:32 AM

As our local Funeral Home's website says, "regulations are changing everyday". What we know today has zero to do with what will happen tomorrow. Life is about adapting and that is a great lesson for students to learn.

Jul 16, 2020, 11:50 AM

Sorry to break it to you, but undergraduate classes don't "prepare you" for the real world anyway. No one is sitting at their job saying, "Man, I sure am glad that I was able to take Chem 101 and Sociology in person".

I know of same situation. I believe things have been

Jul 16, 2020, 11:55 AM

changed just in the last week. A month ago I heard that they wanted 80% in-person classes.

It is seeming like almost all classes will be online or "hybrid" where hybrid typically means each student only attends once a week.

All the students I've talked to at USC either have all online classes or all but one.

Lied? Wow

Jul 16, 2020, 2:16 PM

A big part of going to college - especially a major university like Clemson - is learning to deal with "things". There are many kinds of learning and managing the registration process is not unlike many real life challenges. Covid has added a level of complexity to everything. The fact is it's there and has to be dealt with. For some reason, I doubt anyone at Clemson "lied". Like every other entity in the world right now, they're learning how to deal with this and change is simply part of the new normal. Picking up the battle for kids does not help them. I doubt your parents went to battle for you like this. Write the check and stand back - they will figure it out. And, if not, what is the worst thing that will happen?

Re: Lied? Wow

Jul 16, 2020, 3:45 PM

Well said CalTiger. Maybe the word "lied" was a little strong. I was not trying to trigger anyone with a single word. But the good thing is we have all received a lot of information. I guess time will tell how this online teaching goes. Hopefully Clemson has perfected it.
Thanks for chiming in. I'll let y'all know what President Clements said when he replies.

Jul 17, 2020, 12:05 AM

Akron cut 91 jobs today, maybe all or part professors , I cant remember. Universities are bloated with with lots of fat that needs to be trimmed. I imagine if that happens, which I believe eventually will , getting a higher education may actually once again become affordable for everyone.

If the Democrats would quit running on free education, and focus more on affordable education, they would get alot more swing voters. The word "free" has become intertwined with the Democrat party and thus hurts them with independent voters in my opinion.

They weren't honest. Hybrid has been the word since May

Jul 18, 2020, 11:27 AM

They might not know for sure but the word is that they've been planning the online/ hybrid thing for a while.

They weren't honest. Hybrid has been the word since May

Jul 18, 2020, 11:27 AM

They might not know for sure but the word is that they've been planning the online/ hybrid thing for a while.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic