Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: News and notes from Friday's practice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: News and notes from Friday's practice

Aug 17, 2012, 1:56 PM

News and notes from Friday's practice

The competition for starting spots on Clemson’s offensive line continues to be a battle, with the depth chart fluid and changing with every practice. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is Humphries splitting plays with?***

Aug 17, 2012, 2:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Peake***

Aug 17, 2012, 3:45 PM

Only one thing jumps out that sorta bugs me.

Aug 17, 2012, 3:19 PM

Charone Peake should be getting more time than Adam Humphries in replacing Sammy. Peake is a superior athlete and his catching radius is significantly larger. Also, Peake has shown he will make difficult catches even after taking a hit.

I fully realize Adam is dependable and he deserves to see the field regularly, but sometimes I wonder if Dabo elevates his perception of Adam because he may remind Dabo of himself back when he was a player.

Obviously, this is just an unprovable theory on a message board, but I think it's clear to everyone that Charone has a lot more to offer us. We have some freaks at WR. I don't want their touches limited because of coach nostalgia.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My question would be, "where do you even come up with this

Aug 17, 2012, 3:25 PM

'unprovable theory'?" What do you think it is about Adam that reminds Dabo of himself? Dabo walked on and Adam had a scholarship from the start and played as a true freshman. And Chad Morris might have something to do with who gets playing time and at what positions.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All fair points, and I considered them. To answer your quest

Aug 17, 2012, 3:33 PM

-tion,

The bottom line is that it seems obvious Peake has a better chance of making a play for the Clemson Tigers than does Adam Humphries.

He makes clutch catches in traffic, he doesn't have a drop problem, he's taller and he's MUCH faster.

So why split equal time with Adam?

And I'm fully aware that may not even happen, but Adam has been listed at number 2 for a while, even though Peake has been more productive and explosive.

Peake dropped a few easy balls last year. His measurables

Aug 17, 2012, 3:50 PM

are fantastic but up until camp this year he was waaaaaay to inconsistent to be a starter. With 2 weeks left he'll have a shot at earning the majority of the playing time but he has not done it yet. I clearly remember him dropping a wide open easy TD vs BC last season.

Which drops are you talking about? I can't remember many.

Aug 17, 2012, 3:54 PM

Sammy and Jaron, who are obviously awesome, dropped easy balls too. But it would be crazy to replace them because they have proven they are extremely productive.

I think we could get alot more out of Peake than we do, and without any drop-off in dependability.

There aren't many because he wasn't thrown at much....

Aug 17, 2012, 4:20 PM

he had nearly as many drops as catches (4)

I think he will be a very good player for us, I just don't think he's shown anything yet.

Re: There aren't many because he wasn't thrown at much....

Aug 18, 2012, 6:34 AM

Humphries also had the most reliable hands on the team. Watkins and Brown caught about 2/3 of the passes thrown their way. Humphries was at 82%. Most of the other guys were 50 or below. I love the quality depth we have at WR, and those guys might well prove themselves this year. In fact, I think they will, but they're not there yet. I think that Peake will play a lot and produce, but I understand the depth chart.

Re: Which drops are you talking about? I can't remember many.

Aug 17, 2012, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Which drops are you talking about? I can't remember many. ]

Peake will be a great one but he did drop an easy touchdown last year. I dont recall the game. Maybe it was against Boston College.

Re: Which drops are you talking about? I can't remember many.

Aug 17, 2012, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Which drops are you talking about? I can't remember many. ]

Now I will say that he did have a great catch in the Auburn game where he pretty much sacrificed his body on. Helped keep a drive alive and the momentum. Tahj was being hit as he released it and Peake made a huge catch.

Re: All fair points, and I considered them. To answer your quest

Aug 17, 2012, 4:50 PM [ in reply to All fair points, and I considered them. To answer your quest ]

Peake has nor been more productive... he has higher POTENTIAL but that is all.. results to this point favor Humphries

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All fair points, and I considered them. To answer your quest

Aug 17, 2012, 6:00 PM [ in reply to All fair points, and I considered them. To answer your quest ]

it has been said that humphries has as much short area QUICKNESS as anybody on the team. peake may be (arguably) the fastest, but separation from a corner that plays "face-up" comes with the faster acceleration vs. overall top end speed. humphries has also proven to be reliable in catching the ball. i hope they both show out while keeping the position warm until sammy's return.

I say, the one that has the better practices should start.

Aug 17, 2012, 6:15 PM [ in reply to All fair points, and I considered them. To answer your quest ]

I know that's a wild and way out there idea.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: My question would be, "where do you even come up with this

Aug 17, 2012, 6:46 PM [ in reply to My question would be, "where do you even come up with this ]

Humphries is a ball player. Very talented all around athelete from what I understand.

I remember him making a couple of critical first downs last year late in the game. I believe one was against Auburn and the other was against Maryland.

I just remember him taking a pass out in the flats and he was about tackled for a loss but he was able to get 10 yards and a first down on the play.

Adam does everything right. He is probably like a Chad Diehl or a Tanner Smith in basketball. A kid that probably doesn't seem flashy but bottom line is that he will get the job done and can be counted on.

You're right Peake stretches the field,

Aug 17, 2012, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Only one thing jumps out that sorta bugs me. ]

but I'd rather have Adam in there on third down. He finds a way to make the play.

I used to listen to the Dorman games through the internet when they were both there. It was the Adam Humphries Show.

(This is not because his brother works downstairs from me)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

But Peake will make those plays too. He's been hammered and

Aug 17, 2012, 3:34 PM

held on. I don't think Humphries is a better possession receiver.
If he was a better possesion WR then I would want him in more often than Peake.

Didn't Peake have the same opportunity to play last year as

Aug 17, 2012, 3:42 PM

Humphries?

Why did Humphries get more snaps that Peake last year?

I won't try to say that Humphries is a more talented, more athletic player than Peake.

But I will point out that they both arrived on campus at the same time ... except practically everybody assumed the only reason Humphries had a scholarship at all was because of Peake.

If Peake is going to get more playing time than Humphries, he's going to have to earn it in practice like Humphries did last year and apparently continues to do this year.

I'm not at practice, but I am at games.

Aug 17, 2012, 3:46 PM

Charone is better in the games.

So that's why I am even mentioning this at all.

And I don't know why Humphries got more snaps, I would have rather Peake get more snaps, but that was simply based on game days.

Either way, because I trust our offensive coaches I assume there must have been a reason. I was looking for some insight on it.

I have no idea what games you've watched, but AH is

Aug 17, 2012, 4:39 PM

money and CP had porous hands early on, thus he saw little of the field because the coaches couldn't trust him. they've been saying he's vastly improved this fall, mainly that he understands the playbook better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: I have no idea what games you've watched, but AH is

Aug 18, 2012, 6:47 AM

http://www.seldomusedreserve.com/?cat=36

You should look at the numbers. The link above ics to a site that breaks down the statistic the university shares. I wouldn't use these exclusively, but for this type discussion, they are more than adequte. If you look at the success of failure of each play, AH was the top receiver on the team. More than 77% of the time, when we threw it to Adam, we got a first down or touchdown. That's tops on the team. Sammy was 4th, which illustrates my point that you can't use these stats exclusively. My guess is that Sammy got more TDs and more times got 25 yards past the sticks, but the point is that Adam proved himself on the field. BTW, Peake had success roughly 40% of the time.

Re: I have no idea what games you've watched, but AH is

Aug 18, 2012, 1:02 PM

It's not actually just touchdowns and first downs...it's also putting the team in position to get a first down...in other words, if it's second and 10 and he gains 8 yards, that's considered successful because it sets up a makeable third and 2. The criteria is laid out there.

http://www.seldomusedreserve.com/?p=3022

Caution: Humphries has a small sample size and if I am remembering correctly most of the passes to him were very short (therefore almost always completed) while a fair amount of Watkin's were a ways down the field (lower % completed).

Re: Didn't Peake have the same opportunity to play last year as

Aug 17, 2012, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Didn't Peake have the same opportunity to play last year as ]

I think that Humphries proved himself more consistent last year in practices and games than Peake. I believe Peake is the better athlete and WR. I also believe that Humphries is flying under a lot of people's radar. I think that Peake will snag more time than Humphries as it seems Peake has had a better summer camp. Proven himself to more consistent. We'll see in saturdays scrimmage.

What did I miss last year? He had 4 catches for 71, 3 drops

Aug 17, 2012, 3:53 PM [ in reply to But Peake will make those plays too. He's been hammered and ]

He did not catch the ball in traffic and he was too inconsistent for them to even use down the stretch.

Video of a catch in traffic.

Aug 17, 2012, 3:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUFreICEPGQ

Catch was on a crucial 3rd and long too. Perhaps changed the game.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but where did you see he had 3 drops?

Re: Video of a catch in traffic.

Aug 17, 2012, 4:18 PM

Nice video evidance. Unfortunately they do not keep drops as an offical stat in college. I just remember 3 of them. The biggest one that stands out is from the BC game.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/videos/detail/dabo-on-peakes-dropped-td-catch/

Don't have video but I have Dabo talking about it

Had a drop at Mary too

Aug 17, 2012, 4:26 PM

Guessing he was behind Adam on blocking and other intangibles. To think he gets pt due to reminding dabo of himself (fail to see other similarities you refer to) is a stretch.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Maybe Humphries just picked up the offense faster***

Aug 17, 2012, 4:36 PM

Re: Video of a catch in traffic.

Aug 18, 2012, 6:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Video of a catch in traffic. ]

They keep drops, but not very well. In fact, for the 2011 season, they only counted 13 and gave 5 of those to Ellington. Neither Humphries nor Peake got an official drop, but they also track passes caught vs passes thrown to and Peake caught 40% to Humphrey's team leading 83%.

Re: Only one thing jumps out that sorta bugs me.

Aug 17, 2012, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Only one thing jumps out that sorta bugs me. ]

The main reason is that Peake plays a different position than Adam.

This offense isn't just WR1, WR2, WR3.

Adam and Hopper backup Sammy. Martavis backs up Nuke. And Charone backs up Jarone.

Charone's too good of a blocker, and he's too good catching the ball over the middle to have at the 2-spot.

Thank you. Good answer. I thought they traditionally played

Aug 17, 2012, 3:39 PM

the same position.

Still feel like Charone can fill Watkins's void better, but

Aug 17, 2012, 3:42 PM

your point about blocking makes sense.

Sammy did alot of his damage over the middle. Also Sammy stretched the field from his position.

Anyways, whatever happens I hope it leads to a win for us.

Aug 17, 2012, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Only one thing jumps out that sorta bugs me. ]

perhaps he is getting more playing time. it didn't say a 50 / 50 split.

Dabo didn't promise a 50-50 split. Could be motivational.***

Aug 17, 2012, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Only one thing jumps out that sorta bugs me. ]

Aug 17, 2012, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Only one thing jumps out that sorta bugs me. ]

why are U creating a problem when none exist??thungs worked out well last year and Dabo has said that Peake is doing much better! I know that he had some drops last year but those are not important now IMHO..Humphries is very dependable and he will come through in the clutch!

you've been here MUCH too long to ask that question***

Aug 17, 2012, 4:51 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you've been here MUCH too long to ask that question***

Aug 17, 2012, 6:49 PM

actually, Dabo is stating what he has seen in practice, which none of us have. Understand that facts cause problems on tigernet, but no matter what we think, the coaches are in charge -chill out.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic