Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Taking a knee during the national anthem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 2,833

Taking a knee during the national anthem

Sep 27, 2017, 8:38 AM

After having a few days to process what happened on Sunday, I want to say that the players have the right to protest peacefully. Patrick Henry said,"Although I do not agree with what you say I will defend to the death your right to say it."
But at the same time I have the right to protest their actions peacefully. If you want to protest their childish and selfish actions it's very simple. Turn off the NFL, cancel your NFL package, do not attend any professional football games and write the NFL to let them know you demand action to create change. I have done these things and will continue to do them until the NFL takes action against something that I find disrespectful to every person who has served in our military and beyond that it is trampling on the graves of every fallen soldier.
It's time for those who respect the, our country and our soldiers to take a stand.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taking a knee during the national anthem

Sep 27, 2017, 8:41 AM

Don't forget to boycott the sponsors of the NFL, because that's what makes the NFL stay solvent.

NFL SPONSORS TO BOYCOTT: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Barclays, Bose, Bridgestone, Campbell’s, FedEx, McDonald’s, Microsoft, Nationwide, Nike, PepsiCo, Ticketmaster, Under Armour, and Visa.

Sep 27, 2017, 8:43 AM

Thank you for adding the sponsors

Re: Taking a knee during the national anthem-Papa Johns too

Sep 27, 2017, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Taking a knee during the national anthem ]

and what about Adidas.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most Bud products SUCK - so it should be easy for anyone

Sep 27, 2017, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Taking a knee during the national anthem ]

with taste buds to boycott the vast majority of their product.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Sep 27, 2017, 8:42 AM

The knee itself isnt as disrepectful as the ill founded premise on which it is based. But the millionaires who are out of touch are entitled to do it. And I am entitled to vote with my feet

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2017, 8:55 AM

As a Veteran I support their right to protest but to disrespect the flag and our National Anthem is a little too much for me. Now, I will be exercising my right not to watch the games, buy no more tickets (did not use my tickets to attend the game Sunday) and will try not to buy game sponsor's products. I do not need pro football to survive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course they have the right to protest peacefully, but

Sep 27, 2017, 8:45 AM

here's one small detail: when they're protesting peacefully, THEY ARE AT WORK. I do not have freedom of speech while at work and I do not have the right to protest anything while on company time.

That is, unless I don't care about being employed for much longer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Are you their employer?***

Sep 27, 2017, 8:48 AM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Yes***

Sep 27, 2017, 8:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can I have free tickets then?

Sep 27, 2017, 8:49 AM

I'd like to sell them to pay for Clemson tickets.

Yes, send me your mailing address along with your

Sep 27, 2017, 8:52 AM

SSN, bank account information, and mother's maiden name.

There is a very small processing fee involved; I can just deduct directly from your checking account to save you the trouble.

Re: Of course they have the right to protest peacefully, but

Sep 27, 2017, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Of course they have the right to protest peacefully, but ]

While I must say I disagree with their manner of protest, but not their right to protest or the belief that their reason for protesting is valid... the NFL head office has stated that they are in violation of no rule in the act of kneeling for the anthem. The NFL operations manual only states that players must be on the field for the anthem, but says nothing about standing at attention, kneeling, etc. There has been a meme going around right-wing FB pages that claim it does, but it's #FAKENEWS

Yea! Let's avoid the real issues and just ignore them!

Sep 27, 2017, 8:47 AM

Seriously though... although we might not agree with how they are protesting, we cannot deny that there are real problems that they are helping bring to light. Protests aren't supposed to be comfortable. The whole purpose is to make people uncomfortable. And their target audience is the exact NFL fanbase that is watching them play. Middle to upper class, white Americans.

Personally, I will always stand for the National Anthem. I also do not watch the NFL. Not because of these protests, just because I don't enjoy it as much as CFB. Lastly, I hope that these protesters "win." Whatever that means. If they can help remove even a tiny bit of racism in this country, then it is a success.

Edit: please don't take this as me agreeing with their method. I simply can see the effectiveness of it and am trying to also look past the method and see the message.

Message was edited by: gtriple®

Just curious, how many of them work to promote racial

Sep 27, 2017, 8:51 AM

equality on their own time? Maybe a few?

Re: Just curious, how many of them work to promote racial

Sep 27, 2017, 8:55 AM

I don't know about others but Kaepernick has donated over $800K of his personal income this year alone to groups supporting inner-city youth and other such organizations.

Even if that's true...

Sep 27, 2017, 9:10 AM

Intercity youth has nothing to do with black oppression and police brutality!

Just sayin.

Um what? There is clearly a connection.***

Sep 27, 2017, 9:12 AM

Re: Um Essplain it then***

Sep 27, 2017, 9:14 AM

Re: Um Essplain it then***

Sep 27, 2017, 9:29 AM

By helping to educate kids to get them out of poverty, out of gangs and out of the inner city. The inner cities have some of the worst public school systems in the world.

I'll return your question with another.

Sep 27, 2017, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Just curious, how many of them work to promote racial ]

Do you think they are more exposed to the public on their "own time" or during these nationally televised sporting events that are enveloped by media?

If it was me and I wanted to send a message, no matter what that message is, I'd be doing it during nationally televised events that are swarming with media personnel.

Yes, I think plenty are trying to promote racial equality. No clue the number. But this is also very vague, amorphous and difficult to find a real way to achieve.

I'm just trying to separate the ones who are truly

Sep 27, 2017, 9:10 AM

passionate about this issue (good for them) from the sheep who just follow along.

If their employers are going to allow their employees to protest while at work, it's their choice I suppose. But from a fan's perspective, I watch football to get a break from all the political crap, and here they are throwing it back up in my face.

Which makes me care less about their cause.

Re: I'm just trying to separate the ones who are truly

Sep 27, 2017, 9:18 AM

I'm sure plenty of sheeple followed MLK. I'm sure plenty of sheeple are following Trump right now. There will always be those that follow just because everyone else is doing it. Going after the sheeple is not productive for either side though.

Same here about watching football to get away from everything else. I haven't watched the NFL for 2-3 years and certainly won't start now. I do not agree with kneeling for the flag. But I appreciate the peaceful and mostly silent protesting method that has proven to be very effective in getting the message out. Now let's see if they can actually make something happen to produce change. If not, then it's all for nothing. I hope they do though. We sure do need it.

Re: I'm just trying to separate the ones who are truly

Sep 27, 2017, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I'm just trying to separate the ones who are truly ]

Excellent article in Fridays Raleigh News and Observer showing.that sports have never been free from politics.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, bob . . . you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Sep 27, 2017, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Just curious, how many of them work to promote racial ]

WAIT - is Holiday Inn on the boycott list ? ? ?

Hang on - hold that thought.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Disagree

Sep 27, 2017, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Yea! Let's avoid the real issues and just ignore them! ]

The issues have been highlighted; certainly before week 3 of the season. Their method, not their right, has created division where unity is needed. Additionally, this past week was all about protesting Trump, not social injustice. If social injustice was the issue, why weren't all of these players displaying this protest in the offseason, preseason, and weeks 1&2?

Re: Disagree

Sep 27, 2017, 9:36 AM

And this is the reason why I've stated elsewhere that I think the protests will fail. They failed to provide a leader and a clear goal in the early stages. No protest has ever been successful without these 2 things.

It is unfortunate that the protests will end up dividing rather than uniting. I blame both sides. But how can they stop now? Maybe a leader and a clear goal will rise up. Maybe not. If I was in their shoes, I absolutely would not stop yet.

I voted for Trump. If I was an owner I might punish my players for kneeling. However, I do not agree that Trump should have said what he said. As a Republican, the absolute last thing that I want my federal government doing is saying who I should fire from my private company.

VT will be a tougher game than many believe***

Sep 27, 2017, 8:50 AM

Economics will dictate how this ends.***

Sep 27, 2017, 8:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Economics will dictate how this ends.***

Sep 27, 2017, 8:53 AM

Economics dictates how everything ends.

who is John Galt***

Sep 27, 2017, 9:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2017, 10:00 AM

While the content of your post is good, I need to bring to your attention a wrong quote you credited to Patrick Henry. This phrase can first be attributed (I disprove of you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it) to the English author Evelyn Hall in 1906. Voltaire, the pen name of Francois-Marie Arouet who died in 1758 penned a similar phrase, I wholly disapprove of what you say-and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Patrick Henry's most famous quote is "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death". History is very important, I am not trying to be overly critical; but be a little more careful with it in the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 2,833
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic