Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm gonna rage here for a minute...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

I'm gonna rage here for a minute...

Apr 29, 2020, 9:28 AM

Sorry if this is overly technical, but I'm in a pissy mood today.

What the hell is the point in writing user stories and providing requirements if devs are just going to ignore whatever I say, build what they want, and deliver it 2 weeks late while I have an exec team that treats dev estimates as hard deadlines? I designed a bulk processing tool with my technical architect that was supposed to use files dumped into Amazon S3 buckets and allow them to be processed - the user interaction is a notification that they will receive an e-mail upon completion of the process, so no immediate demand to process anything, and we provide sample files to the devs with 500+ records as an example of what we will want to process. The back end dev goes and creates an implementation using step functions that can't process a file larger than 8KB (roughly 15-20 records) and QA PASSES IT, sending it to me to review in User acceptance testing. I push back, saying this is not what was spec'd out, and what happens? The feature gets released anyways because it's behind schedule, and I catch hell.

So, if you ever wanted to know why I'm sick of my current job, this is a perfect example of why.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No joke. It’s all about ball bearings nowadays.***

Apr 29, 2020, 9:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly...

Apr 29, 2020, 9:59 AM

it sounds like something easily fixed with some super cool scrolling HTML text.

HELPING IS WHAT I DO

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honestly...

Apr 29, 2020, 10:14 AM

Slow...
Fast...
Faster...
Lightning!

Re: I'm gonna rage here for a minute...

Apr 29, 2020, 9:35 AM

Sounds like yall aren't agile enough

Maybe I'm not understanding, but why are you writing

Apr 29, 2020, 9:35 AM

user stories for someone else?

And then later, why are you planning, coding, and testing in different steps? If you're are "being Agile", your testing should be an integrated part of your coding.

And apparently the definition of done was never really agreed on either, because the PO should never have approved the stories were complete, and the PM should have never approved the feature.

You have a complete breakdown in your ART sequence.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^this

Apr 29, 2020, 9:36 AM

it sounds like you have execs and technical leads/PMs deciding the "how" of the work is getting done as well as the "what".

which can work, if everyone is on the same page.

Apr 29, 2020, 9:40 AM

I've done that a lot with unplanned work--"this is what needs to be done, and this is how we'll do it".

But for something that has a dedicated epic/feature, this whole thing is all over the place. Whomever owns the LACE/ACE needs to make sure all their people are on the same page.

Because our VP of program management

Apr 29, 2020, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Maybe I'm not understanding, but why are you writing ]

only understands waterfall, and this is a bastardized version of agile that really isn't.

They don't even do an agreed upon definition of done, and I want to strangle the #### out of all these people. I'm the Product owner, I didn't approve the stories as complete, and I get completely overridden by execs that think they need to be down in the weeds.

If they are going to keep that up, might as well scrap

Apr 29, 2020, 10:30 AM

the whole Agile concept. Obviously its not working. That will become self critiquing at some point.

oh, there is a ton of hand wringing.

Apr 29, 2020, 11:00 AM

I literally had a new job lined up that got put on a hiring freeze right as this pandemic started. I'm actively interviewing and trying to GTFO, because this is not what I signed up for.

Didn't you just get that job, or was that someone else?

Apr 29, 2020, 11:46 AM

Yeah--Hand wringing won't do it. Just follow the framework. Upper mgt must not be that engaged.

Re: I'm gonna rage here for a minute...

Apr 29, 2020, 9:39 AM

lol agile development

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Well, I now feel dumber for reading this

Apr 29, 2020, 9:55 AM

technical architect sounds like an awesome made up phrase to justify high billing rates though.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorta in the same vein as

Apr 29, 2020, 10:17 AM

the garbageman calling himself a "sanitation engineer".

I almost got out my SAFe book to reply to this.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:15 AM

Maybe stuff isn't getting the right amount of points or is being put in to stretch goals. Maybe these Devs are going to waterfall your ### no matter what. Is the one chewing your ### generally on your side? If so, you've gotta show them the kanban and where the devs or the scrum master or the project owner or whomever isn't you didn't listen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm....

Apr 29, 2020, 11:54 AM

Well

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic