Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m going to open this can of worms...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

I’m going to open this can of worms...

Jan 7, 2018, 9:53 AM

Let’s talk transfers and not the ones leaving. CBB and the basketball program has added some depth and talent via transfers. CML and the baseball program has added some as well. When you look across the landscape of college football some of the best players have been transfers. Looking at who may or may not leave over the next week, why not consider adding an o line or DB who could contribute right away? Share your thoughts...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We too deep.

Jan 7, 2018, 10:02 AM

All our scholarships are spent on incoming freshmen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David Olson, Schuessler, anyone else? Short list...

Jan 7, 2018, 10:07 AM

and to contribute right away, they'd have to be one of the exceptions such as Grad Student.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m going to open this can of worms...

Jan 7, 2018, 10:06 AM

In football at least , and in my opinion it really isn't worth the time you spend getting a Jr , or Sr or graduate transfer to inhale all they must learn in such a short time to be a contributor .
Baseball and basketball is different , the playbook is much smaller and the rosters are also that adding a kid for a season or two isn't such a hindrance to flow .
In football , there never seems to be a transfer situatiin that works out for the most part , just ask Scott Pagano or Jeffrie Gibson about that now that they've moved on for more playing time .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

We have 7 DBs and 15 OL next year so far

Jan 7, 2018, 10:07 AM

We should be able to find 2 deep easily without having to go JUCO or transfer

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2018, 10:10 AM

> Let’s talk transfers and not the ones leaving. CBB
> and the basketball program has added some depth and
> talent via transfers. CML and the baseball program
> has added some as well. When you look across the
> landscape of college football some of the best
> players have been transfers. Looking at who may or
> may not leave over the next week, why not consider
> adding an o line or DB who could contribute right
> away? Share your thoughts...

I can see the merit in very limited situation. Oline might be an area of need but unlikely a graduate transfer is going to contribute any better than the current roster. A younger player would have to sit a year, and with the way we are recruiting that kid probably falls down the depth chart by the time he’s eligible.

Now consider the risks. Dabo recruits and develops players they’ve invested in developing a relationship for several years. For the most part he gets players that mesh with the culture vs. risking adding someone who becomes a cancer on the team. With that said, if the player was someone we recruited hard but just missed out on then that might work if the transfer is possible academically. An example might be Gary transferring from Michigan, or one of the various RB’s we recruited that chose Georgia.

Because

Jan 7, 2018, 10:31 AM

Dabo believes that to develop a program and recruit at a high level, transfers and JCs are a quick fix that puts you into a long range problem.

It also isn't fair to the freshmen that enter school on the belief that they have an idea of the depth chart and that their hard work and development can lead to playing time.

What are the records of the teams bringing in transfers and JCs - better than ours?

Are our basketball team and baseball teams more successful than our football team?

Have any of our transfers prospered anywhere?

ANOTHER ASININE OP!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Thanks for asking though... it was a good mental exercise

Jan 7, 2018, 10:33 AM

But as most have explained, it doesn’t work in football very well. And we don’t want to upset the culture of buying into ‘waiting your turn’ then get jumped by a transfer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2018, 11:10 AM

Why open your mouth and show you have not a clue? You could have kept quiet and no one would know

Jan 7, 2018, 11:16 AM

A big part of our recruiting success is we don't take Jucos and transfers.

our current recruiting strategy aint working? fooled me.

Jan 7, 2018, 11:52 AM

i see no reason to change a thing..'cept perhaps to review blocking assignments.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Interesting topic ...

Jan 7, 2018, 12:19 PM

- I like Clemson's our young DB's and S's who have major skill sets and potential - especially Mullen, Simmons, and Terrell. Veterans Van Smith, Muse, Fields & Kvon all bring experience and different skill sets. LeAnthony Williams has potential.
- Our returning O-Line starters look like Falcinelli (C), Pollard (RT) and less likely Mitch Hyatt (LT). Anchrum (T), Simpson (G) and possibly Cervenka (G) will get starting looks. Carman (T) looks like he could start or be in rotation very early. It will be interesting to see who steps up among Bockhorst and DeHond, and will be interesting to see if Vinson, Reeves or others can get in mix. Offensive trenches look solid at top with little currently proven depth.
- Jr college approach seems flawed for a program of Clemson's 2017 stature. Academic and social issues go hand-in-hand with JC players. That said, there are always exceptions and Hargraves, Fork Union and other post-h.s. military academies & institutions have groomed several Clemson players in past like Martavis Bryant. Falls under Dabo making the right call category but Dabo may see plenty of upside with current roster.
- Curiously, at least for me, Clemson has eight to nine 5'8"-5'9" 175 lb and below players with minimal probability for p.t. Expect these are high character walk-on athletes and glue guys who are practice players. Unsure if Bama allows these guys on campus - this distinction likely impacts depth, but works to Clemson's benefit most of the time.

Interesting topic, interested to hear what others think on 2018 DB and OL player skill sets & depth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting topic ...

Jan 7, 2018, 1:00 PM

I’m not saying bringing in a transfer is something we should do often. Just throwing it out there IF and a big IF we were to have Hyatt, Hearn and even another leave or a few unexpected DBs leave why not try to find one or two guys in an emergency type situation. BTW a lot of teams in the ACC and SEC add juco and grad students. QB at VT in 2016 got them to the ACC champ without him they lose 7-8 games. Trevor Pryce was a good one we bought in back in the 90’s.

Jan 7, 2018, 1:38 PM

We're just beyond that now. With our level of recruiting, the very slim edge you might gain at a position would be offset by the lack of unit cohesion as in the case of the OL or any position grouping on D and by unfamiliarity with the scheme in the case of skill guys.

Transfers can get you from C level to B level or even B level to A level, but they can't get you from A level to A+ level.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic