Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm afraid we will be seeing more of this in the future
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

I'm afraid we will be seeing more of this in the future

Jul 29, 2019, 6:15 PM

It's just a consequence of our success and the new Portal. Because of our recruiting success, there is a HIGH likelihood that any of our kids will be over-recruited at any time in their 3 or 4 years. And these aren't loafers we have already brought, or will be bringing, in. They are the stars of their former HS teams, and they are hungry, and competitive, and don't like getting beat...even by their own team members. It has to be a HUGE blow at that age to say "Yeah, the pundits said you were 5 star but you're only good enough to make 3rd string here. Particularly if you are giving your all, and you just haven't been blessed with the physical tools someone else has. It's a hard life lesson that we're not all going to be superstars in sports, or professionally, or personally. When I was 18 there was no doubt in my mind I was going to rule the world...till I got out into it. It's a part of maturing, and learning your limitations...as Dirty Harry would say.

So I can't hate on Feaster. In the bigger perspective, it's a game, and his life, and the potential for big dollars if it pans out for him. I don't know what's in his heart, or who's advising him, and maybe he had tough choices to make too. All I know is that he chose Clemson, gave us three good years, stayed out of trouble and repped the University well, and now he's decided to move on.

In my business if I hated everyone that came in my door and moved on I'd have no friends at all in the world. We bring them in, we train them, some stay a long time, some are using us as a stepping stone, each person and situation is different, but even when we cross paths again as direct competitors for work, there's no animosity from either side. In fact we often refer and cover each other for jobs as much as we compete for them. If I'm too busy the first person I will refer to a client is my professional "arch-enemy". He's good, and I know so because I trained him :) I hope Feaster isn't motivated by hate or anger, for his own sake really. For us, he's a gladiator for our entertainment, but it's his life. And I've learned that it's an awful waste of time trying to prove to someone else you were right and focusing on them rather than on yourself and your happiness.

So I thank him and wish him well, and when our gladiators meet on that one day of the year I hope we best them...with no personal animosity at him at all. He had his own needs, motivations, and considerations...none of which I know, so I'm going to assume the best in him and not the worst. I hope he has a happy life during and after football and appreciates his Clemson family. As Dabo says, we're building men, not just athletes. And he'll be a man a lot longer than he'll be an athlete.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm afraid we will be seeing more of this in the future

Jul 29, 2019, 7:30 PM

Dabo brings in these very hi profile football players to compete against the best. As you know, the best is the guy he is competing with for playing time at Clemson. The winner of these matchups is an all world kind of player. You win championships with these kind of guys. Some move on to other horizons as we have recently seen. Some stay and slug it out with the number one guy. You end up with DEPTH. Depth wins championships.

When I was at Clemson I don’t think there was a limit on scholarships. The really good,powerful teams took all the good players for the sole purpose of keeping other teams from getting them. That has changed but I believe Coach Swinney is still trying to get the best of the best. He is succeeding. As you would expect, some chose to transfer when they see they may not ever be the number one guy at Clemson. It’s working. Live with it!

Re: I'm afraid we will be seeing more of this in the future

Jul 29, 2019, 7:37 PM

Well said. Thanks.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic