Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If our Defense is better next year than this year, which I
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

If our Defense is better next year than this year, which I

Feb 6, 2017, 11:30 AM

think it will be, who says we need a Deshaun Watson level qb anyways. I admit I'm a pumper. I don't believe will be in the National Championship game next year. But, we have some amazing athletes as next in line for qb. We'll miss Gallman, but we have some talent at RB. Our OLine should be better I think. Yes, we lose Williams, Scott (Huge) but our WRs are elite. Yes, we lose a TE. Our linebackers should just be deeper and more talented (obvious loss of leadership). DLine should be ridiculous and we should be in better shape at DBs. Again, I don't expect us to be in the NC again, but if Cooper, Bryant, or another of our highly rated qbs come out and do a halfway decent job, then we still have the potential to have a great season. And, if the ball bounces the right way, then who knows . . .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll miss Tankersley & Johnson

Feb 6, 2017, 11:48 AM

We need the secondary to develop - Mark Fields
to have a breakout year at corner and Van Smith
to keep improving at safety along with another
solid corner and safety. Then the defense won't
miss a beat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We'll miss Tankersley & Johnson

Feb 6, 2017, 12:10 PM

Mullen, Simmons and Muse for starters, then Edmonds, Baker, Carter all have tons of experience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do we need Fields to have a breakout year? I'd say

Feb 6, 2017, 12:11 PM [ in reply to We'll miss Tankersley & Johnson ]

we need Carter or Edmond or Mullen or Baker or Terrell to have a breakout year and another to be solid and consistent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If our Defense is better next year than this year, which I

Feb 6, 2017, 12:02 PM

Part of the reason our defense is effective was DW ability to keep them off the field. Sure we score quick sometimes but we rarely went 3 and out. With a pass first offense it is critical to make first downs or you run very little time off the clock. We could have an all world defense (Bama) but if our offense is struggling our defense will wear down and give up points. This is part of the reason teams who are highly effective at running the ball have good defensive stats.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

this is a good argument***

Feb 6, 2017, 4:50 PM

Ref: Atlanta vs. New England.....

Feb 7, 2017, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Re: If our Defense is better next year than this year, which I ]

Offense gotta do their part.

And a disclaimer: If we beat FSU , then I think we're in the playoffs again this year.

Feb 6, 2017, 12:15 PM

We are deep at TE and Crowder coming back is huge.

Rogers is Scott 2.0, with possibly more of a deep threat, then Higgins is there in Mike's spot, in the 2017 class.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a bit of a stat nerd which doesn't always fly with

Feb 6, 2017, 1:10 PM

everyone here on Tigernet, but if you look at the 3-year history of our defense in some of the advanced metrics it's been very consistent. For example, these are our defensive S&P+ ratings for the past 3 seasons:

2014 - 12.2
2015 - 16.0 (late season defensive woes hurt)
2016 - 13.7

The numbers are essentially opponent-adjusted ppg. Those defenses were ranked 1st, 6th, and 6th nationally.

Now the big difference between our 2014 team that went 10-3 and our previous two that went 14-1 and played for the title twice was the jump in offensive production.

2014 - 27.5 (76th)
2015 - 42.2 (6th)
2016 - 41.2 (2nd)

We went from having a below average offense in 2014 to fielding elite units in 2015 and 2017 and that was the difference b/t being a top 15ish team to playing in back to back title games and winning one.

Just to be a playoff team, however, wouldn't require as much. There's a pretty big jump most years from the 2 teams that play for the championship and the other two that make the playoff. We don't need to be as good as were the last two years to make the playoff. I would think that most reasonable Tiger fans would consider a 3rd straight trip to playoff an extremely successful season even if we lost in the 1st round.

If we get similar defensive production to what we've had the previous few years, maybe even on the upper end of that scale (2014 type numbers), our offense can take a moderate step back and we still field a team that is capable of making a playoff run.

Well done and thanks.***

Feb 6, 2017, 4:55 PM

Re: I'm a bit of a stat nerd which doesn't always fly with

Feb 7, 2017, 7:29 AM [ in reply to I'm a bit of a stat nerd which doesn't always fly with ]

Nice work and kudos to the self proclaimed stat nerd!

Isaiah Simmons is coming!!!!***

Feb 6, 2017, 2:47 PM

I bet that's what Bama thought last year***

Feb 6, 2017, 5:05 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2017, 7:23 AM

Because other teams have good defenses too....that's why you need a good QB. Remember Alabama a month ago?

never said we didn't need a good qb. Simply saying

Feb 7, 2017, 7:29 AM

It's possible that we could be very good still even if next qb isn't Watson caliber. You gotta think our coaches went after some talented qbs and we do have some good ones ready to play. They just aren't proven on the field yet. It is an unknown but it is possible that one of them Could come out and be good

and you do realize that Alabama made the national

Feb 7, 2017, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Re: If our Defense is better next year than this year, which I ]

Championship game and in fact was in the lead with 6 seconds left to go. Would you consider that a bad year?

56-7.***

Feb 7, 2017, 7:37 AM [ in reply to Re: If our Defense is better next year than this year, which I ]

null

If clemson's defense is better next year I'll finally be ok with the bv hire

Feb 7, 2017, 7:38 AM

Ive been on the fence so far

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

i can see your excitement but it'll take beating Wyoming before

Feb 7, 2017, 7:48 AM

I completely get on bored

Feb 7, 2017, 7:39 AM

Well as most of you know I'm not a pumper but more of a realist and I believe next season the Tigers will contend.
I know DW was the key and really a once in a lifetime talent.
He was definitely the difference without him we don't beat Bama.
So we might not have that extra advantage but I can see the Tigers right there .
I know they won't lose more than 2 games.

I agree. I don't see us or expect us to win the Nc. But

Feb 7, 2017, 7:51 AM

I think we are a good team either way. If we had a little luck on our side, or make our own luck like knocking someone out of bounds short of a first down or intercepting the ball in overtime then it could be a special year again.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic