Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'll take a shot at this whole recruit thing..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

I'll take a shot at this whole recruit thing..

Nov 13, 2012, 10:07 PM

Character and Integrity. That's what our coach recruits (in addition to the measurables). If a guy can't keep his word he has neither. That said, I would take an enthusiastic 2-star recruit with the heart of a lion before a wishy washy 5-star. That 2-star, in my view, has the human qualities that will make him a success no matter what he chooses to pursue in life. There's a lot to be said for having guys that WANT to be here. All In or you're all the way out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nailed it, once again

Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 PM

with limited scholarships and a wealth of talent out there, give me a kid that is ready to come compete, grow .

Re: nailed it, once again

Nov 13, 2012, 10:15 PM

That's it. When I coached kids I looked for attitude and athletics. Never cared if they knew football, soccer or whatever. My thinking was, if he's an athlete I can teach him the sport.

that's the road to irrelevance

Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 PM [ in reply to nailed it, once again ]

and do you guys think any of the great players we've had recently were guys who had always just wanted to come here? Our coaching staff had to do a lot of work convincing guys like Watkins, Spiller, or Boyd to pay attention to Clemson and then to decide to come here. They didn't grow up Clemson fans, and they had to be convinced this was the best place for them to play.

These recruits are not Clemson fans like we are, and we shouldn't want them to be or pretend that they are.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll take a shot at this whole recruit thing..

Nov 13, 2012, 10:53 PM

I'm wondering about now if Dabo and coach Conn are as tight as he thought they were. And how much has coach Conn man has received from ole missy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's money involved in college football,

Nov 13, 2012, 11:01 PM

lots of it. Hate to think about corruption but all the ingredients are there. Just stunned that the kids mom flew all the way from Africa, issued her instructions, then left again for how long? 6 more months?

Re: There's money involved in college football,

Nov 13, 2012, 11:39 PM

Mom came to get Dad settled in and collect her check. That is all.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

then why not just recruit kids from the local youth group?

Nov 13, 2012, 11:50 PM

All that stuff you said is real nice, but we want the most talented guys we can get to come here, not the nicest guys we can get or the guys who wanted to come here the most. So I'll take a wishy-washy guy who's a lock to play in the NFL over a 2-star player who's wanted to go to Clemson his whole life.

Most of what you've said just sounds like sour grapes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take Martavis Bryant

Nov 13, 2012, 11:53 PM

and the others I just can't think of right now, one from central......many home area stars

Welcome to the world of recruiting top players...

Nov 14, 2012, 1:23 AM

When a kid decommits, it's not because he has no character or no morals. It's because, for whatever reason, he's reevaluated the situation. As a fan, it's sad to see a kid who once loved our school, later decide that Clemson isn't the place for him, but what can you really do? In all honesty, the kid probably made a mistake because there's no place quite like Clemson, but we will move on, and there's more recruits out there that can fill the spot that was previously held for him.

Our own star QB, Tajh Boyd was committed to both Tennesse and West Virginia before Clemson. There are a few other players on our team who were previously committed to other schools, and I don't think any of us would question their morals or character, so to question any of these kids' character is premature as well. They are ultimately trying to make the decision that best fits them. Every season, we're seeing more and more kids, especially the very top prospects, end up committing to several schools before finally landing at their final destination. I can't even imagine the pressure and attention these kids get from coaches, fans, and players from various schools across the country every single day, and I'm in my mid-20s. I can only imagine how it must be for a 17 or 18 year-old kid, especially a kid who has never had the opportunity to travel the country before the recruitment cycle began.

You have to remember most of these kids didn't grow up as Clemson fans, and they probably had never even thought of attending Clemson until within the last year or so. When they first fall in love with Clemson, they truly believe it's the place they want to spend the next 4 years of their life. With coaches wanting to fill up their recruiting boards as quickly as they can, they feel pressured to commit before their spot is taken up, before they've had a chance to take a close look at all of their options.

The best thing you can do is look at these commitments, and to see them for what they really are...non-binding. It's really not that different from things in the business world. Even our beloved Clemson University has had to back out of deals recently with other schools that we had scheduled football or basketball games with. It's a part of life that situations and plans change. The best thing you can do is curb your excitement until Signing Day because things will always be in flux when we're recruiting the top players. We'll win some battles and we'll lose some battles, but in the end we'll end up with 20-30 kids who love our university, and who we'll cheer for and love for the next 4 years.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic