Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gracious Hosts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Gracious Hosts

Sep 18, 2015, 2:00 AM

I just got to the hotel room after another white-knuckle affair with Louisville. I am so glad the Tigers were able to pull it out as I thought the defense played lights out minus a couple of passes. Can't wait to see it on replay. But the reason, I'm posting at this hour is my surprise to find the most gracious fans I have ever seen here. They were nothing like what I was expecting. As we walked across the bridge heading to the stands there were what appeared to be a line of "Cock-a-booses" by the stadium and I started thinking Willy Brice North. Nothing further from the truth although Sandstorm did break out briefly. They played the "Eye of the Tiger", so that balanced out. I had fan after fan come up to us after the game and congratulate us on a great game and welcomed us back the next time. Some were even thanking us for coming. I've never seen that on the road. Wake Forest was close, but nothing like this. I'm wondering if others saw this as well?I wish all the other Tiger fans that were here safe travels home tomorrow.
SJT

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gracious Hosts

Sep 18, 2015, 2:20 AM

Same here. No problem at all with any of the fans. I had one ask me if we always had this many fans at away games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 2:21 AM

Yeah, guys tailgating along the route to the stadium asked if we brought the entire state with us. lol.

Sep 18, 2015, 3:08 AM

Late for me in my room as well but my pulse finally slowing down to less than 100!! Gracious doesn't begin to describe what we witnessed. EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE could not have been more hospitable. Simply asking where to park at Churchill Downs for the pre game Clemson event, Joe Montano and his terrific family (daughter Maria and son-in-law Chris) says "Follow me!" As was our luck on this glorious day in Louisville, his family breeds horses and he takes us to the Owners Parking lot, has us as his guests at the track, shows us the ropes, takes us into the paddock area to see his 2 entries in the stakes races that day. His first horse looses by a head in race 2 but we win money. HIs filly in the third race is the favorite out of the #4 position and of course she wins (more money!). Takes us into the Winners Circle for trophy presentation and photos and we rename her Deshauna!! Get to meet the patriarch of the family who is the trainer and with friends are the owners of Deshauna that we also were privileged to meet. Turns out Joe felt compelled to return the hospitality our fans showed him on his visitbto The Valley last year........this has all the makings of a terrific rivalry in several sports. Very glad they are in our Division and a fantastic addition to the ACC. NEVER experienced anything close to this on numerous road trips. Never been to College Station which I have heard is wonderful but cannot imagine it being any better than Louisville. Tiger fans are nuts not to visit Louisville in the coming years. GO TIGERS!! What a win!

WOW - incredible !***

Sep 18, 2015, 6:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Sep 18, 2015, 6:30 AM

We sat right in the middle of Cards fans and they were nothing but nice. Yes, they cheered loud for their team (who wouldn't) but between cheers we had some great conversation. Very good people.

Sep 18, 2015, 9:37 AM

If that stadium was at capacity, it would be a much tougher environment. Even with a lot of empty seats, it did get a little loud in the 4th quarter. The energy in the stadium was the only thing really missing from a total experience. The 0-2 start probably had a lot to do with that though and Thursday night of course.

SJT

Sep 18, 2015, 6:36 AM

We had a similar experience. People all over downtown outside the hotel said "Welcome to Looavul" and even got some "Go Tigers!" Tons of orange as we checked in and walked through the hotel and out to lunch. People after the game marveling at how many people we brought and noting how great we were last year, and did they return the favor ok? Did you have a good time? Thanks for coming etc. with the cock-a-booses I was expecting different. But it was great. If only we weren't up in the nosebleed seats. But even there the concessions were amazing!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 9:42 AM

You mentioned nice concessions in the nose bleeds, but the only way to really know is if they had dippin' dots up there.

Sep 18, 2015, 6:47 AM

College football as it should be! Good times cheering our teams, remembering these guys are someone's son, sharing the heartbreak of a missed kick.... . So proud of our TIGERS both on and off the field

Sep 18, 2015, 6:55 AM

I agree. I was blown away by the hospitality of their fans. Best road game experience I have had in my 37 years of following the Tigers.

TU to all of you who went and cheered us on!

Sep 18, 2015, 7:10 AM

I could hear you on the radio broadcast driving home from the hospital at the end of the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Gracious Hosts- good to hear but we were pretty gracious

Sep 18, 2015, 7:21 AM

for them on that kickoff. dont think we even touched him

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. We were treated the same way.

Sep 18, 2015, 8:31 AM

Had several fans stop and congratulate us. Very gracious and cordial.

Good to know, I hope to make that trip next time!***

Sep 18, 2015, 8:55 AM

Yes, same here- they were great fans

Sep 18, 2015, 8:57 AM

Nm

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 Cheers for Louieville Team & 4 for their Fans!

Sep 18, 2015, 9:10 AM

What a commentary on an opponents Fans!

Saying..Go Cards & Go TiGS, great efforts!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They were top-notch all the way around, even after the

Sep 18, 2015, 9:43 AM

game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Sep 18, 2015, 10:25 AM

Never seen anything like it, and I've been to a lot of different away games the past 30+ years. The kindest people, both coming into the stadium, and going out, even after we beat them! And Churchhill Downs has to make this the best away game experience.

Great to read these comments. I always say that the ACC

Sep 18, 2015, 10:57 AM

actually has the BEST road trips for Clemson fans. Obviously we are not in a conference of 100k stadiums like the Big Ten or SEC. But when you have to travel far to watch the Tigers, you're in towns like Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston, Atlanta, Raleigh, or somewhat near New York City. Or you're visiting a great venue like FSU or VT. Or you're within a short drive like the North Carolina schools.

Pretty excited to read that the Louisville fans know how to put on a game. That, combined with a great town, combined with two very tight in-division games means that this should be added to the road trip list for sure.

null

Sep 18, 2015, 10:02 PM

I'm a Louisville graduate/fan living in the Upstate since 1999 and I'm proud to be in the ACC so I can see my Cards play the Tigers each year. I'm also glad the Tiger fans now realize what a great fan base the Cardinals have. I'm not glad about the outcome of the game but I'm glad we treated the Tiger fans with respect. Can't wait to see the gave in DV next year!

Sep 18, 2015, 10:16 PM

Had to work. Couldn't go. I'll say this though, the Louisville fans we had at our tailgate last year were great. I love bourbon drinkers such as myself. Their a welcome ACC addition imo, and a tough football team.

Sep 18, 2015, 11:00 PM

Nice people around town and at the game. Access to stadium was convoluted, but saw no problems w fans. They complimented us , congratulated us and seemed glad to host us.

I'll say that's very true .. best tailgate award goes to....

Sep 19, 2015, 6:44 AM

http://cardinalsportszone.com/2015/09/18/cszrrtg-tailgate-of-the-week-clemson-game-2015/

Re: I'll say that's very true .. best tailgate award goes to....

Sep 19, 2015, 8:18 AM

That's great! How many other places would award an away team's tailgate?

Re: I'll say that's very true .. best tailgate award goes to....

Sep 20, 2015, 3:53 PM

Bump, in case some missed this.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic