Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you were president, how would you have handled COVID?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

If you were president, how would you have handled COVID?

Oct 9, 2020, 9:37 AM

I'd love to hear the ideas. It's difficult to not incorporate what's been learned since February/March 2020 into your response, but try. I know there answers out there other than "Exactly what Trump did", or "The exact opposite of what Trump did"?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering we also aren't privy to the intel a president

Oct 9, 2020, 9:38 AM

is given, makes this a really silly hypothetical.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Ultimately, I would listen to what my advisors and

Oct 9, 2020, 9:39 AM

scientific experts have to say.

I wouldn't fuel hoax or undermine science, and I certainly wouldn't turn wearing a mask into some political statement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Politicizing the mask was stupid...totally agree.***

Oct 9, 2020, 10:09 AM

Just asking for opinions, trying to learn.

Oct 9, 2020, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Considering we also aren't privy to the intel a president ]

There are many who know that everything was handled poorly, and confidently share their opinions. there are many who believe it's been handled well. Logically, to know it was handled poorly or well, one has to have a concept of what proper or improper handling would have looked like. I was just asking for folks to share this concept. If it's silly, my apologies.

To be fair, we're all here for silly conversations.***

Oct 9, 2020, 10:32 AM

Re: If you were president, how would you have handled COVID?

Oct 9, 2020, 9:40 AM

If I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday,
Assasinated on Saturday,
Burried on Sunday, then go back to work on Monday.

Wear a mask inside, set an example.

Oct 9, 2020, 9:45 AM

Ask people to wear them inside buildings and when they can't be 6 feet apart. Tell people the truth, that the old advice that masks don't work was based on a bad public health policy established in 2009 with the swine flu, and was intended to prevent panic buying of PPE so medical personnel could have them. Then add that we have realized that we have sufficient PPE for medical personnel, but by telling the American public they are useless, we actually caused millions more to become infected and thereby swamping hospitals, and ultimately killing more Americans.

There's some advice. And it's nothing Trump, or probably even Biden would do. It's called the brutal and honest truth, with a little leading by example mixed in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good stuff...and honesty is definitely in short supply.

Oct 9, 2020, 10:15 AM

Honest conversation is in short supply as well, and I appreciate your input.

piggy backing on this

Oct 9, 2020, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Wear a mask inside, set an example. ]

humility from both sides would've gone a long way if sprinkled in with some good old fashioned honest transparency.

admitting we were wrong about this thing on a few topics (treatments, preventative measures, etc.) isn't a bad thing. all these "science backers" obviously haven't worked through a difficult problem, especially in the life science sector, where a lot of times you try something that doesn't work. that's literally how our health services and medical practices have evolved to where we are today. the only difference is the stakes were the highest possible with a frog's kunt hair long timeline to get it right. expecting 100% perfection was a farse from the get go and led to frustration, gotcha moments, etc.

the previous notion then parlayed into this one, where one side would offer something and it was a full on attack from the other. left says wear masks, right says #### off. right says plasma treatment works, left says donnie pump just pumping donnie pump. nothing was ever able to be proposed as a solution to the problem b/c every thing uttered out of washington or the states was spun into a political conversation.

disinformation campaigns in order to further a political agenda to try to show how stupid or inept the other side is/was crippled society as a whole to come together. i blame the algos

Humility and mercy are both needed in tough times.

Oct 9, 2020, 10:48 AM

Mistakes are GOING to be made. This happening in an election year made it even nastier from a "blame game" point of view. In the panic/uncertainty, politicians rushed to convince us that their opponents were wrong.

As far as the algos/platforms, I agree 100%. I left the platforms early in the pandemic, and as an outsider it's amazing how radicalized rational people have become. Our brains simply cannot handle the amount of information/disinformation.

I remember not long after 9/11, President Bush and ALL members of the House/Senate stood together in a press conference showing their unity as we dealt with the agents that killed thousands of innocent Americans. 200,000 plus American deaths into this pandemic, I believe we needed that sort of leadership/unity early in 2020 against a viral agent, and we didn't get it. Now, divided we fall.

I'll give it a go

Oct 9, 2020, 9:46 AM

1. Trust the opinions of all the medical experts and CDC experts around me. I also wouldn't have cut that CDC pandemic team two years before.

2. Minimize travel to the U.S. as much as possible for two months (in the December and January range).

3. Tell the American people how serious it is, encourage them that we are doing our best to protect them, that hard times are coming but we will get through it together regardless of politics.

4. Publicly encourage and support our medical experts who are giving out guidelines for fighting the pandemic.

5. Set an example by wearing a mask in public.

6. Coordinate with all governors for a gameplan and strongly suggested guidelines but not mandates so as not to overstep federal government authority.

7. Give the states any federal aid they need on a case-by-case basis and not play politics because it happens to have a governor of the opposing party or I didn't carry the state in the last election.

8. Give reasonable expectations for reopening, which would not be declaring Easter as the target date.

9. Avoid divisive and politicized Tweets, like "Liberate Michigan!"

10. Be open and honest with the American people, and set mandates on masks and social distancing in every federal office where I had the authority to do so.

11. Overall, not make the virus political, not downplay it with 200,000 dead, and give more authority and trust to our experts while building confidence in all the American people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

All good points.

Oct 9, 2020, 10:28 AM

I have felt that there's been too many voices trying to fix problems outside of their scope/ability. For example, politicians, educators, lawyers, social media influencers acting as epidemiologists/epidemiologists acting as educators and politicians. This points to bad leadership and a lack of strategy at all levels of government. I feel like the public was left confused and distrusting due to the volume and velocity of contradictory information being disseminated. I can't help but think that the sheer amount of conflicting information led to poor choices and ultimately lives.

It's downright depressing to me, this situation and the election. At a time when we need a uniter to bring us together, we are being presented with two candidates who clearly do not fit this mold.

Re: If you were president, how would you have handled COVID?

Oct 9, 2020, 9:59 AM

I wouldn't have cut the CDC pandemic team!!!!

That was his biggest mistake....but he's a moron soooo.....

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like taking off a bandaid. Close down country COMPLETELY

Oct 9, 2020, 10:34 AM

for two months. No one is allowed to leave their house except the military who would airlift food and supplies to every
neighborhood, going door to door delivering them.

After two months, open back up completely.;););)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on the TP outage, no food shortage was anticipated lol***

Oct 9, 2020, 10:38 AM

Nationwide lockdown and jail people for not wearing masks

Oct 9, 2020, 10:40 AM

- signed the lounge liberals

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said it in the moment, early March or whatever and still

Oct 9, 2020, 10:45 AM

think while not realistic in terms of implementation the idea was good.

Shut the whole nation down for 30 days. No one leaves, no one enters. Stay inside your home. Be good neighbors and share resources. Anyone out of compliance gets vigilante justiced like they do in Mumbai. Locals use cane poles to beat those out of compliance right back into their homes.

Reopen society with 0 cases.

A passionate speech from the president and top medical advisors asking for unity and compliance. Stern warnings that a 30 day pause would be difficult economically, but nothing like letting things carry on for months on end.

Thanks, and I agree we needed unity.

Oct 9, 2020, 10:54 AM

Shamefully politicizing this is one of the main reasons we are still dealing with it. It will never go away, but proper alignment would have helped tremendously. The enemy was/is a virus, not a democrat or republican. Americans used to be able to unite around a common enemy, but it seems now we lack the ability to cut through the BS.

Knowing what we know now, lol. Too easy

Oct 9, 2020, 11:05 AM

There are too many ways to look at it but here are some distinctions I find important.

Would you trust the Chinese leadership to be honest about the problem?

Would you read the daily intelligence briefs and taken them seriously?

Would you have asked for the existing pandemic preparedness plan, read it front to back, and then executed the plan?

Would you have made the rise and fall of the stock market the primary input for decision making?

Would you be prepared to #### a lot of people off, including business pals, and members of your own administration and party?

Nuked China back at the end of January.***

Oct 9, 2020, 11:05 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Knowing what we know now, pay all people over 60,

Oct 9, 2020, 12:12 PM

fat people, people with heart and lung conditions and compromised immune systems "stimulus money" so they can stay isolated and protected as long as needed. Then let the herd immunity build up as life goes on as normally as possible for all younger healthy people and keep the economy rolling.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Quarantine the high risk, good call.

Oct 9, 2020, 12:14 PM

Keep the country going, protect the vulnerable.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic