Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Say you had the opportunity to commute a couple times a week
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 484

Say you had the opportunity to commute a couple times a week

May 12, 2020, 8:32 AM

to your office in Columbia, SC. Would that be completely terrible? I am no fan of Columbia, but the opportunity MIGHT be good for Greenr.

The commute would be over an hour each way. Trying to swing working from home the other 3 days if this pans out.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Knowing where you be staying at,

May 12, 2020, 8:37 AM

I’d do that a couple times a week before heading north on 77 five times a week, even though 77 between cola and fort mill holds the highest national percentage of drivers who have no effing clue why the highways have multiple lanes.

Just beware.....in my experience companies go through phases, and it just takes one new doooshbag in a position of power to read an article on “collaboration” and decide he wants everyone in the office, every day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, this pandemic is expanding our ideas of WFH

May 12, 2020, 8:58 AM

(Wave Fatthews Hand) which will benefit me. Our corporate offices are in NYC so they are in tune to those issues. Just a few months ago they were pushing Agile workspaces in our LA, Boston, San Fran, and New York offices.

Thanks for the advice, call is at 9 to discuss opportunities. 99% sure a kid is going to bust in the office during the call.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That nails corporate culture. In an age where we are ruled

May 12, 2020, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Knowing where you be staying at, ]

by the latest tweet and whatever article a freelance writer wrote for 2 cents a word, you never know how next week's wind will blow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much worse would that commute be than current or

May 12, 2020, 8:40 AM

the worst commute you've had? Would you miss out on way too much important kid stuff? Would you miss out on stupid kid stuff that would make your wife mad?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2-3 days at 2:30 on the road versus 5 days with 1:30-1:45 on

May 12, 2020, 8:59 AM

the road. Almost a wash. Charlotte commute only works because I get to the office at 6 AM though.

I know a guy that commuted from RH to Columbia 5 days a week

May 12, 2020, 8:46 AM

and he's dead now, so you should factor that into the equation. I'm not saying that YOU'LL get a brain embolism and die after scuba diving off Turneffe Atoll in Belize, but this guy did...AND HE COMMUTED TO COLUMBIA FIVE DAYS A WEEK FROM ROCK HILL.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks GOD I don't live in Rock Hill***

May 12, 2020, 9:00 AM

Red commuted over an hour 5 days a week

May 12, 2020, 8:49 AM

For a few years after college. Before COVID she was commuting and hour and a half three days a week. After the baby she will be commuting and hour and a half two days a week.

She likes the drive. Gives her time to listen to books on tape. She also works for her family and gets to see them on the other side of the drive.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

You know who else worked for their family?

May 12, 2020, 9:30 AM

Pre-covid, my drive was two hours one way. I'd commute it

May 12, 2020, 9:06 AM

sometimes, but mostly ended up staying a couple of nights every week in Athens. It got old and got less and less remote friendly which is why I'm looking back in the upstate now. Just beware of them asking you to be in the office more and more "just this one time", "we need you this week", etc

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROH

Re: Say you had the opportunity to commute a couple times a week

May 12, 2020, 9:08 AM

Basically the same commute time as 80% of Californians.

If you're talkin about a hundy a year job...

May 12, 2020, 9:10 AM

then heylls yeah. never turn down a 6 figure opportunity unless you don't like fast boats and fast women.

Re: Say you had the opportunity to commute a couple times a week

May 12, 2020, 9:15 AM

I did this for about 2 years. It’s wasn’t that bad and I actually enjoyed the quiet time. Just make sure that WFH day is Friday.

Get a comfy ride too. I started out with a Wrangler and quickly purchased a Honda Accord for the commute.

I always thought about it this way, I know people that ride for over an hour on a train into Chicago each day. I can handle 2-3 at an hour and fifteen in my own car.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on how the money is. I

May 12, 2020, 9:19 AM

commuted 1 hour, 20 minutes each way every day for almost 3 years.

It's only worth it if the # is right.

Agree.

May 12, 2020, 9:21 AM

No way I'm doing that kind of commute without the right kind of hashtag.

I do that drive a lot...

May 12, 2020, 9:24 AM

it's easy. We have an office in Rock Hill and my office is in Columbia but I work a lot of cases out of Rock Hill.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I commute to Columbia a couple days a week already

May 12, 2020, 9:39 AM

in the fall coaching for my club. Columbia gets a bad rap. Aside from the traffic, the weather, the people, the food, and UofSC, it's not bad.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, plus I'm here!

May 12, 2020, 11:15 AM

boyeeeeeeeeeeee

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I drove back and forth from CHS to Columbia every day for

May 12, 2020, 10:40 AM

about 2 years when I was working there. Sometimes i'd get loaded at happy hour and get a hotel, but most of the time I drove it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My sister was driving from Oriental, NC to Goldsboro every

May 12, 2020, 10:44 AM

day before the pandemic and she got fired. She's done that through about 4 cars and 10 years. She went through a Corolla about every 2-2.5 years, then she started buying Kia's or something.

But her boss called her Friday and said they are closing their office, and everyone will be working from home, and asked if she wanted her job back. Winner!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That wouldn't be too bad.

May 12, 2020, 11:16 AM

My dad has been commuting an hour each way at the same job since 1972. He isn't complaining.

My drive in before 6am is about 30 minutes. If I leave before 4, i can get home in about 40 minutes. If I'm stuck here until about 5... it takes me every bit of an hour.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

It really depends on your tolerance for the asshattery of

May 12, 2020, 12:29 PM

other drivers. If you have the temperament of Lakebum1®, it may not be a fit. But if it is a fairly low traffic route, that kind of drive helps me decompress after work and prepare for the stresses of home.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you can avoid heavy congestion it makes a difference

May 12, 2020, 1:54 PM

Getting home before 6:00 makes a huge difference, too. I dunno what it is, whenever I get home after 6:00 or so I feel like the day is just shot and I'm pissed off. Before then, it's like alright, I've got a little time to get some stuff done.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 484
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic