Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: UGA president says Clemson rivalry could go away
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

Football Update: UGA president says Clemson rivalry could go away

May 3, 2013, 12:25 PM

UGA president says Clemson rivalry could go away

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BuzzPaw says

May 3, 2013, 12:27 PM

The President of UGA can suck it. He better keep his tobacco stained tooth on his side of Lake Hartwell.
I'll kick him dead in the beans just like any other inbred leg humper I see here in Sept.

In the words of OutKast....

May 3, 2013, 3:43 PM

If you scared, say you scared!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like preemptive sour grapes to me

May 3, 2013, 12:28 PM

You're going down in August ADAMS!!!

Booooo!! Why would the SEC want to go to 9 conf games?

May 3, 2013, 12:29 PM

They already "beat up on each other" 8 times a year, why would they want to go to 9? Surely they'd rather play soft non-SEC teams ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

They don't want to, but will probably have to.

May 3, 2013, 12:53 PM

If everyone else goes to 9, they will eventually have to do the same, IMO.

The ACC has already said they would stay at 8 conf games.

May 3, 2013, 12:55 PM

Who else is adding another? Not trying to be smart a** -- I really don't know. Seems like I heard the Big 12 is going to 9 conf games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big 12, PAC-12, and Big 10 will all be at 9.***

May 3, 2013, 12:57 PM

All about money, what a crock.

May 3, 2013, 1:00 PM

They need the 9th game to fill inventory. It's a shame.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All about money, what a crock.

May 4, 2013, 12:16 AM

Exactly right. The ninth game is going to end up on the sec network. $$$

Re: Booooo!! Why would the SEC want to go to 9 conf games?

May 3, 2013, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Booooo!! Why would the SEC want to go to 9 conf games? ]

He is already hating to see the head lines in jawga on that Sunday morning. Jawga bull puppies get beat to death in Clemson's Death Valley!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Won't having their own network push them towards 9 games?

May 3, 2013, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Booooo!! Why would the SEC want to go to 9 conf games? ]

That's another 7 games on their network bringing money into the conference and not being shared with anyone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vince Dooley essentially "eliminated" the Clemson rivalry

May 3, 2013, 12:32 PM

years ago when chickentech joined the SEC (he stated UGa wouldn't play both the chickens and Clemson every year), and now this clown is doing the same thing.......

to quote my 11 year old nephew: "If you're scared, just say so"

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree 100%. Dooley ended the rivalry a long time ago***

May 4, 2013, 8:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is this true? I thought UGA was already playing Scar before

May 5, 2013, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Vince Dooley essentially "eliminated" the Clemson rivalry ]

they joined the SEC in 92. It was probably because Clemson was too much risk for an extra loss every year.

UGA dropping the Tigers

May 6, 2013, 12:31 PM

At the time UGA dropped us Dooley said they needed to play another SEC school -the following year they added William & Mary to take our place on their schedule! The record for this rivalry during the 10 years we played them was
5-5.

If you're scared, Just say you're scared...

I get a rivalry and all with Ga Tech, but if they are going to make some posturing like they will take the trade off for strength of schedule, Clemson would be the ACC team to put your money on.

There's a difference between scared and logical.

May 3, 2013, 12:56 PM

If you can get to a national title game without playing a big-time OOC game, why would you schedule such a game? It'd be against your interest to do so.

More than that, it's financial logic

May 3, 2013, 4:10 PM

If you play 9 conf games + 2 rivalry type games (i.e. UGA playing GT & Clemson) that equates to 11 games that are home and home series. This only allows you one game to schedule as a home game every season. The rest are locked in at some combination of 6 and 5 (6 home / 5 road one year, 5 home 6 road the next). This means that every other year you can only play 6 home games and athletic departments have gotten far too accustomed to the revenue streams that comes from playing 7 every year - I doubt they are willing to give that up. So what you get with a 9 game conf schedule is 9conf + 1 other home & home series. This gives you the 2 open games to schedule for home games.

It sux. 70 miles away and we can't play them?

I guess we messed too much with their recruiting.

I long for the old days when regional rivalries mattered. What a bunch of hog wash.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It sux. 70 miles away and we can't play them?

May 4, 2013, 1:27 AM

It's becoming a different school than it was 30 years ago. Like USC, it is progressively becoming more and more a majority women's college. There's nothing wrong with that (especially since for single guys), but it tends to change the culture a bit.

Just dial 1-800-skeered....***

May 3, 2013, 12:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hurry up, someone wake up superdawg.

May 3, 2013, 12:39 PM

We need his uneducated comments on this issue.

Isn't this pretty much what ACC teams were saying back...

May 3, 2013, 12:39 PM

...when the ACC was going to 9 games weren't we noting it would probably mean the end of home & away series against stronger competition?

All of this crud is coming from the "need" to expand to these super-conferences. I will gladly take going back to 9 team conferences. But that ship has sadly sailed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i agree with his logic though....its not worth it for anyone

May 3, 2013, 12:40 PM

to play all tough teams if a team like Alabama plays no one out of conference and gets to a championship game and played absolutely no one out of conference. thats 3 easy W's that they didn't have to work for and no one calls them out on it. So...result = National Championship game.

I'll tell you another thing . . .this stuff hurts us because

May 3, 2013, 12:43 PM

think about some of the big games we've played over the last 3 years--3X against Auburn, 1X LSU and now 2X UGA. Folks that is PRIME EXPOSURE and it helps your team get better to play these type of games against good (or perceived as good)competition. It helps recruiting. It builds excitement.

We got our schedule back to 8 to make room for these type of games. If every team schedules Furman and SC State to make revenue -- it is a racket. Just go back to playing a 10 game schedule -- the fans don't needs the fillers.

Clemson needs great out of conference games to make Clemson better in an ACC where we sold our soul for a GOR. Oh hell, I can't say anything more right now except THIS SUX!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Yep. Clemson needs UGA a lot more than UGA needs CU.***

May 3, 2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks for your Cooterville like perspective. NOT!***

May 3, 2013, 1:01 PM

So you disagree, I take it?***

May 3, 2013, 1:01 PM

The Clemson-UGA game is a historical rivalry. I would prefer

May 3, 2013, 1:07 PM

to play them in a ooc game. I will take other big teams in the Valley but the preference would be a Southern showdown there.

Despite what you have been lead to believe there are strong

May 3, 2013, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Yep. Clemson needs UGA a lot more than UGA needs CU.*** ]

teams outside of the SEC...granted we'll travel further but it's not like we were playing UGA every year anyway.

We Need To Hook Up With Another Team.

May 3, 2013, 1:12 PM [ in reply to I'll tell you another thing . . .this stuff hurts us because ]

Its simple but its not simple. It has only been long awaited that we play all these power teams in the
south region to make lots of money and have that good
southern competition between high profile programs.
If UGA is having problems we need to find another that
won't have problems scheduling tougher competition.
I personally don't want 3 lower tier cupcakes on our
schedule anymore.

Lets look at other teams like a Tennessee, a Vanderbilt, a Miss. State, a Florida, or an Arkansas. Lets go out west and take on Arizona St., San Diego St., Fresno St., Washington, or Utah. Lets make it a home and home rotation.

Didn't the B1G Ten just announce not too long ago that they didn't want to play anymore lower tier cupcakes?
Lets have Indiana, Michigan St., Northwestern, Minnesota, or Iowa come to Death Valley and we go up there from
time to time. You don't think the NCAA Football Playoff Committee isn't going to look at strength of schedule
down the road?

Auburn

May 3, 2013, 1:41 PM

they don't have the out of conference rival baggage game like UGA.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburn

May 8, 2013, 9:11 AM

Not sure Auburn wants anymore of us after losing 2 straight, and us almost derailing their natty champ season the other year.

9 game conf schedules won't work

May 3, 2013, 12:43 PM

unless you have a comprehensive playoff system, which will never happen (too many games). 9 game cof schedules will increase subjectability and decrease the accuracy of rankings. The perpetual media machine will gain more control over pumping the conference of their choice with no worthwhile cross-conference games.

that is already happending. Some of SEC teams

May 3, 2013, 1:44 PM

schedule 4 creampuff out of conference games and then brag about how good they are.

IF YOU SCARED BRO JUST SAY SO...... Bunch of ########***

May 3, 2013, 12:50 PM

Well with Notre Dame and a

May 3, 2013, 12:52 PM

Partnership with the Big 12 coming I don't think we will have a problem with schedule strength.

Partnership with the Big 12?

May 3, 2013, 12:54 PM

Link?

Where you been bro?

May 3, 2013, 12:57 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21614091/report-big-12-looking-to-partner-up-with-acc-two-other-leagues

Possible alliance? Key word here is possible. Is this

May 3, 2013, 12:59 PM

really go to happen?

Could be announced as early as Monday according to

May 3, 2013, 1:02 PM

the Dude of West Virginia.

I guess I'll have to take off work and stay by the computer

May 3, 2013, 1:06 PM

on Monday.:)

What do you mean Could go away?

May 3, 2013, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Could be announced as early as Monday according to ]

It's already gone away. We play them twice every ten years. I wish it was still a rivalry like it was in the eighties, but it's not.

This is about all I could find: "The focus of the potential

May 3, 2013, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Possible alliance? Key word here is possible. Is this ]

partnership — Bowlsby added that “nothing is imminent” – would be on scheduling, marketing and perhaps television.

This hurts us in recruiting and UGA and SCAR know it.

May 3, 2013, 1:39 PM

Clemson should continue to schedule tough OC games even if it means doing what FSU did years ago and playing them on the road, sacrificing a home game.

I hate what is happening to college football. Gloat while you can coots and Dawgs, what is bad for the game, eventually hurts you guys as well.

Re: Football Update: UGA president says Clemson rivalry could go away

May 3, 2013, 1:41 PM

So - can he just mail in the forfeit already???

Ever seen a (BIG) cat chasing a dawg? Reminds me of this guy.

The SEC knows the more OOC quality opponents they play

May 3, 2013, 1:43 PM

the more they can be exposed. 9 conference games limit that exposure. Pure BS.

May 3, 2013, 1:45 PM

If I remeber right this is the genius who hired Harrick and promoted the AD who got arrested w a lady who wasnt his wife. He is a twit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong, with the playoff system the future there will be less

May 3, 2013, 2:00 PM

acceptance for cupcakes and more emphasis on OCC scheduling to prove who is who around the country.

A strong OCC Schedule proves the school and conference,

May 3, 2013, 2:01 PM

imo.

Re: Football Update: UGA president says Clemson rivalry could go away***

May 3, 2013, 2:51 PM

If we went to 9 games we would not play uga either

May 3, 2013, 2:53 PM

Y'all are crazy to think otherwise.

Isn't that why we dropped OK State and Ole Miss because

May 4, 2013, 8:43 AM

the ACC decided to go to 9 games before they reverted back to 8?

But, but, but I thought the ACC was "weak" according to

May 3, 2013, 3:03 PM

leghumpers and dirt peckers everywhere.....

Dawgs know they're about to get b-slapped, pure and simple.

Screw Calford.

Michael Adams

May 3, 2013, 3:33 PM

Will only be president for a few more months. By the way most uga fans that have ever had any affiliation with the university can't stand Adams.

^^this^^

May 3, 2013, 9:19 PM

I have never met a UGA grad that liked Adams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not like the teams have played a lot recently.***

May 3, 2013, 4:17 PM

Wow! Panic?***

May 3, 2013, 4:55 PM

He's scared***

May 3, 2013, 7:52 PM

May 3, 2013, 8:07 PM

Don't see how its much of a rivalry....they don't play every year as it is. Sad...it should be an every year matchup in football

How short is the memory of some of T-Netters?

May 3, 2013, 8:19 PM

Clemson dumped a two game home-away series with Ole Miss just last year which would have been great. Clemson dumped the games precisely due to the 9-game ACC schedule which was rescinded after Notre Dame accepted partial ACC admittance. Nonetheless, we lost the Ole Miss series.

Now the UGA President is saying the same will likely happen at UGA. I understand rivalries, but many of these posts are pure dumb a$$.

### down off that high whorse?

May 4, 2013, 7:43 AM

We just couldn't miss the opportunity to lash out at our next game opponent.

Nobody here has forgotten a gat dang thing.

If you have trouble with pure dumbazz post I wonder how you survive reading any message bored.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shore thing pardner. You got me there.***

May 4, 2013, 9:19 AM

Brother, if you take on the task of aleviating my pain...

May 5, 2013, 10:06 PM

from reading stupid remarks here then I'll not need the whiskey. I wouldn't do that to you. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2013, 9:55 PM

We will beat there ####. If you think any different you do not belong here. Period. Tweet that

May 4, 2013, 1:24 AM

When they went to 8 games, that was the excuse for dropping the yearly Clemson game. They said they couldn't play Clemson and USC every year so they went home and home with USC in 88 and 89 and then home and home with Clemson in 90 and 91. We got a better and higher-profile opponent in FSU.

Back then, the USC game was always a gimme for them, while the Clemson game had meant something since the mid-70s.

May 4, 2013, 7:42 AM

If it goes away,it goes away.
Unfortunate,definitly,but there is really nothing any of us can do to remedy the situation that is the new order of college football!

May 5, 2013, 8:16 AM

As soon as you lend credence to the 9-game conference schedule, you kick yourself in the nuts. We did, got screwed, and now Georgia's swallowing that nasty pill sooner than they have to.
Have fun losing a sellout, marquee game because you wanted to proactive and make sure you got Missouri or Kentucky in there.

May 5, 2013, 8:16 AM

Um, m a r q u e e is a "banned" word?

Have fun losing a sell out game

May 5, 2013, 9:55 AM

Well Mizzu and UK have to be on our schedule bc they're in our division.

Mike Adams is skewered of a

May 5, 2013, 8:43 PM

Nutt Cuttin'!

I thought the Clemson / UGA rivalry already went away. *L*

May 5, 2013, 10:02 PM

They should give us some pointers on how not to let GT hang around in games. Maybe it's a competition between state of Georgia recruits thing.

1-800-coward

May 6, 2013, 12:35 PM

Dial it up!

He wants no part of an up and coming Clemson, so he will make excuses for his mutts to play weaker teams!!

Pansy!

It doesn't matter what Adams thinks.

May 8, 2013, 9:28 AM

He leaves uga next month.

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic