Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you were offered $920K/yr for 3 years, would you have
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,094

If you were offered $920K/yr for 3 years, would you have

Apr 9, 2014, 11:07 AM

come back to Clemson for your senior year?
($920K/yr is average for the last pick in the 1st round of NBA draft.)
Remember too that these contracts are guaranteed. The truth is, as much fun as it is to watch KJ in a Tiger uniform, I hope he takes the money and shows out on the next level.

And yes, I believe that much in KJ and know there is no way a team doesn't take him in the first round.. too much talent and upside. Spurs with a late pick would be perfect for him!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

If I knew I would have a comparable offer the next year, yes***

Apr 9, 2014, 11:08 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But being projected that late offers no guarantees. Worst

Apr 9, 2014, 11:09 AM

case scenario he is projected late first round pick and decides to leave. End up being drafted much later and doesn't make a spot on the team. Now he has to go to the d-league or overseas just to keep in form and give himself a chance to make an NBA roster.

IF

Apr 9, 2014, 11:19 AM

he decides to turn pro he better spend the entire off season working on his outside game. He is a LONG way from becoming a three point threat in the NBA and a 6'6" guy will not survive playing under the basket in the big time,

The team that drafts him will not expect him to be a

Apr 9, 2014, 12:01 PM

3-point threat, or to live under the basket. They will expect him to do what he does well.

After watching the Braves last night, it may be a long

Apr 9, 2014, 1:40 PM

season for us. I'm not quite sure our pitching and hitting is good enough to get us anywhere this year. Hope I am wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Figure in that the agent and the IRS will steal 75% of it.

Apr 9, 2014, 11:33 AM

I would come back. Get your degree. It can never be taken away from you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Figure in that the agent and the IRS will steal 75% of it.

Apr 9, 2014, 11:43 AM

Degrees are totally overrated. Ask all the unemployed college graduates these days. Relationships, work ethic, and networking are much more important. He obviously has all of those. He can get the degree later just to say he got the piece of paper.
GO GET THAT PAPER KJ!

WOW!!!! that's all----WOW!***

Apr 9, 2014, 11:50 AM

Oh, so that's why the unemployment rate for college...

Apr 9, 2014, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Figure in that the agent and the IRS will steal 75% of it. ]

grads is half that of those with just HS diplomas.

Re: Oh, so that's why the unemployment rate for college...

Apr 9, 2014, 2:54 PM

HS diplomas are equal to Usuc degrees aren't they!!!

You can always come back for your degree.***

Apr 9, 2014, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Figure in that the agent and the IRS will steal 75% of it. ]

Re: You can always come back for your degree.***

Apr 9, 2014, 2:58 PM

Why go back to usuc for a degree, when a gas pumper makes just as much with or without a usuc degree.

Nope-6 reasons

Apr 9, 2014, 11:40 AM

1. He's not guaranteed to make the team, let alone get a contract offer.
2. 300k/year after taxes, agent, keeping up with the bron-brons isn't that much money. Not life changing money.
3. NBA drafts on potential and will overlook production. His game/body can mature and production drop slightly and he can still improve his draft status.
4. What's the difference in contract should he move up 10 spots?
5. He can probably go to Italy and make that money should something happen and his draft stock fall some
6. Get a degree

Don't be coming on here with that common sense ! ;)***

Fair, but in response..

Apr 9, 2014, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Nope-6 reasons ]

1. He's not guaranteed in two years either.

2. I truly don't know, but you believe he only brings home 1/3 of his salary? Even if so, netting $900,000 over 3 years when you are 22 is life changing money and sets you up to move in whatever direction you'd like with your life. Education paid off, nice home paid off, investments, and cash in the bank.. how different would your life be you'd started at the age of 25 with a $900,000 head start?

3. This is actually an argument for him to go, not stay. Another year at Clemson lessens the chance of someone taking a chance on his potential; after four years of college ball you have a pretty good idea what you have.

4. $300-500K per year, or per your 1/3 net math, $100-167K per year. I'm guessing that wouldn't be life changing for you either.

5. Also could go Italy or wherever this year if he didn't get drafted and signed in the NBA.

6. I love a true student athlete, but if KJ is getting 1st round projections it would be silly to turn away from the draft for the sake of getting a degree. How many people do you know who have second undergrad degrees? I have mine and know of many people who do because the things we chose as teenagers didn't turn out to be our lives' ambition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

What % of players drafted between 20 and 40 are out of the

league after 3 years?

What % of players drafted between 8 and 20 are out of the league after 3 years?

That's the type of question I'd want to know the answer to before I made any type of decision. KJ's years away from being able to contribute offensively. Are teams willing to let late-1st round picks develop at the same rate as lottery picks? My gut says the answer to that question is no...thus I'd probably come back.

how many yrs does it take you to make 3 million?

Apr 9, 2014, 11:45 AM

I suspect it aint 3.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see how my annual salary is in any way related to

Apr 9, 2014, 12:10 PM

what KJ's decision should come down to. We obviously have different skill-sets and are on a completely different career-path. KJ isn't about to forget how to play basketball in the next 12 months...just like I'm not going to grow 6 inches and become a world-class athlete in the next year. The money will be there next year for KJ.

If he wants to make the most money immediately, then obviously he should just bolt right now.

If he wants to have a long, successful NBA career with a 2nd and 3rd NBA contract, I think it becomes a lot more questionable. The percentage of late-1st and early-2nd round picks who make it to a 2nd contract in the NBA I would suspect is pretty low. Most don't even see the court as a rookie.

Just how likely is it that a year at Clemson will

Apr 9, 2014, 12:14 PM

elevate his prospects that much? He is awe-inspiring athlete with a nose for the ball. This time next year, he will be an awe-inspiring athlete with a nose on the ball. Will he have a jump shot? Maybe...but becoming a good shooter is much easier said than done.

I haven't seen anything to consider that he has plateaued

Apr 9, 2014, 12:21 PM

at the college level. His improvement from year to year has been immense. KJ not only needs to improve his jump shot, but he also needs to put on weight, improve his ball-handling skills, and become better at creating shots for others. His FT % also suggests that there is plenty of room for improvement in that jump-shot.

Returning would be an admirable decision

Apr 9, 2014, 11:59 AM

But I can't say it'd be the prudent one, without knowing all the factors. KJ will make the educated decision. These days, I typically lean in the direction of "go if you can". You just never know if you'll have another opportunity.

he could give that up and come back and be a lottery pick

Apr 9, 2014, 12:28 PM

next year. neither are guaranteed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He can't shoot well enough to interest the Spurs***

Apr 9, 2014, 4:03 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,094
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic