Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Going to the Big XII would be a terrible move.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 99
| visibility 1

Going to the Big XII would be a terrible move.

May 22, 2012, 4:12 PM

Why do people think this would be a good move?

1. The move would be made solely for money. However the difference in TV contracts is fairly small. When you add in increased travel costs as well as the payout, it would be a very small amount of additional money.

2. The college football Playoff is NOT going to be limited to 4 conferences. This would be a violation of the NCAA's tax exempt status and would trigger federal action. The Playoff will almost certainly be the top 4 ranked teams of which Clemson would certainly be a part if we go undefeated.

3. Academics matter. I know a lot of you who didn't go to Clemson don't care but as a student I would much rather be associated with the best academic conference rather than the worst one. Plus, the faculty and students at ACC schools have research agreements, etc.

4. Why the hell do you guys want to play schools so far away? I love going to basically every road game. Short trips to Georgia Tech, NC State, etc. are awesome. If we join the Big XII road trips will become a thing of the past.

5. The only advantage the Big XII has over the ACC is a slight football advantage. But even that is slight. Texas and Oklahoma are great programs but other than that the ACC is better than the Big XII. Oklahoma State is ok. But Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, etc. are terrible programs on the level of schools like Duke and Virginia. We currently play FSU, GT, NC State, Maryland, Boston College, and Wake Forest every year. NEWSFLASH - The Big XII schedule we would play would be at an equal level to our current schedule. The Big XII has been better recently but the ACC certainly has the potenrial and history to outperform the Big X11. Oh yeah, and the ACC is better at just about every other sport.

6. The ACC is much more stable than the Big XII. The Big XII is run by Texas even more than the ACC is run by the NC schools. Plus, they have unequal revenue sharing. Clemson will be at a huge competitive disadvantage. The Big XII just lost multiple teams. Why would we want to join such an uncertain conference? The ACC is very stable and will remain so in the future.

In summation, any desire to go to the Big XII is extremely shortsighted and based on irrational emotion. A move to the SEC might make sense bu the Big XII is in no way better for Clemson than the ACC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Going to the Big XII would be a terrible move.

May 22, 2012, 4:14 PM

Have you been living under a rock or something? You really should get out more.;) Also staying in ACC would be a disaster. I will take terrible over disaster anyday.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2012, 4:17 PM

People in TNET are so wrapped up in emotion and rumors they can't think through the entire situation.

Most of these people simply look at the preseason top 25, a 3 or so million difference in the contract, and want to jump ship.

Fortunately, I believe Barker and those in power understand the full impact of such a decision.

If you think the Big 12 is only slightly better than ACC

May 22, 2012, 4:15 PM

in football...

There's no reason in even trying argue with you.

thanks for the input***

May 22, 2012, 4:16 PM

I see Swofford and UNC gave you a thumbs up.

ACC is dead. A train ran over it. Nothing left to stay for.

Money, exposure, some great football teams, and survival in the top 64 teams in the nation for playoff purposes all are the reasons it will be a great move.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC is dead. A train ran over it. Nothing left to stay for.

May 22, 2012, 4:18 PM

Preach it brother!

May 22, 2012, 4:18 PM [ in reply to ACC is dead. A train ran over it. Nothing left to stay for. ]

Except such a Playoff will not happen since it would violate previous NCAA court cases.

The Armageddon scare scenario you guys are trying to push isn't reality.

The ACC won't be "left out" of the Playoff system as you guys are trying to claim.

Big 64 going to leave NCAA ... bank on it***

May 22, 2012, 4:19 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROFL, that's funny right there.***

May 22, 2012, 4:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

It's coming.. even Dabo mentioned it last nigh from what I

May 22, 2012, 4:24 PM

hear ... NCAA is a joke

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2012, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC is dead. A train ran over it. Nothing left to stay for. ]

wake up...its already happened

Will a rival with all the money in the world and a lot of

May 22, 2012, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC is dead. A train ran over it. Nothing left to stay for. ]

catching up in our series--against a Clemson program with less resources, less big-time recruits because they all want to play in the big-boy league, and less media exposure do it for you?

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You realize it just takes one team from the ACC to become

May 22, 2012, 4:23 PM

dominant again and we will have all of the exposure? The SEC cannot continue their dominance, it will end, it's already been proven that it's a cyclical dynasty in college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

O'kay, How is the great leader going to pull this all off in

the hourglass of time left before everyone else grabs a piece of the pie? Like I said, the ACC is dead.

Re: You realize it just takes one team from the ACC to become

May 22, 2012, 4:25 PM [ in reply to You realize it just takes one team from the ACC to become ]

And you do realize the likelyhood of that happening isn't very likely with the adavantage the other conferences have over the ACC?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With a rival with all the money in the world and a lot of

May 22, 2012, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Will a rival with all the money in the world and a lot of ]

Some will just never get it...because athletics arent important to them

May 22, 2012, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC is dead. A train ran over it. Nothing left to stay for. ]

After all these teams leave they will. Guess the ADs and Presidents of the schools wanting to leave don't see things as some of you wanting to stay do. Glad you are not calling the shots for Clemson.

Re: If you think the Big 12 is only slightly better than ACC

^^^gets it

Regarding number 3

Since you are a student, and I'm long since past that point, let me share something with you.... nobody in the real world gives a #### what conference your school was in (save for Ivy League) when it comes to a schools academics. The school itself is responsible for that reputation.

Re: Regarding number 3

Right, and our school's academic ranking is helped by working with top schools rather than glorified community colleges such as West Virginia, Kansas State, and Iowa State.

May 22, 2012, 4:23 PM

How...does duke have an impact on clemson's status

"Glorified community colleges?" Grow up.**

May 22, 2012, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Regarding number 3 ]

nm

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2012, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Regarding number 3 ]

Iowq State is a AAU school so for a community college that's not too bad.

congrats, when you apply for a job when you get out....

May 22, 2012, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Regarding number 3 ]

you can state on your resume and reiterate in your interview that you went to a school in the same athletic league as Duke.

Re: congrats, when you apply for a job when you get out....

May 22, 2012, 4:40 PM

If you don't think the ACC has more national academic cachet than the Big XII, then you are out of the loop. It's not a make or break but when Clemson is trying to get grants, money, etc. the ACC name helps. Plus, you are ignoring the fact that those other schools can help bring up Clemson's ranking.

are you serious or just thinking about media play?

May 22, 2012, 4:47 PM

I have been in the business world for a long time. I have reviewed resumes and interviewed people from all over.

The only thing I ever take into account is the school, the relative accomplishment of a specific major of that school, and the gpa, along with other outside factors.

The only time conference stuff comes up is if we are talking sports. I often use sports, if available, to talk with someone in the beginning to try to get them to loosen up.

I was very impressed with Iowa State

May 22, 2012, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Regarding number 3 ]

Went there for a job fair, and talked to many capable computer/electrical engineering students. In fact, we hired a couple.

You would be surprised about Iowa State. Don't know how they rank, but their job fair was top notch (and huge) and they treated recruiters to free booze and food in the bar in the basketball arena. Now that is classy!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

sporting events = working with???

May 23, 2012, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Regarding number 3 ]

Noone, I repeat, noone who is looking at an engineer, teacher, nurse, or whatever else in the real world cares who your school competes against for a lacrosse match. That is no way to run a business.

Well said and completely agree with you. There's no point

in arguing with the masses of TigerNet though.

Re: Well said and completely agree with you. There's no point

May 22, 2012, 4:22 PM

Yeah I just find it funny how quickly people change their opinion. Last summer the Big XII was left for dead and now these people want to scramble over to become Texas' bit**.

Funny really.

Florida State, Miami, Clemson, and Virginia Tech have just as much if not more potential as the two team powerhouse of Oklahoma and Texas. The Big XII is really nothing more than those 2 teams.

Not to mention the grip Texas has on the conference.

It's amazing how quickly people forget that Texas is the reason for all of this conference alignment, for pushing Texas A&M out with their own TV network and not sharing money.

May 22, 2012, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Well said and completely agree with you. There's no point ]

The Big 12 came back to life after aligning itself with the SEC and forming the bowl game. The ACC will play in Charlotte every year as their premiere bowl game.

May 22, 2012, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Well said and completely agree with you. There's no point ]

much like the highly faulted sec is really been reduced to bamer and lsu

Wake up man ...

1. The money is a big difference... not just a small amount

2. The big 4 conferences will pull out of the NCAA, so that won't matter

3. Atheletic conference affiliation has nothing to do with your Clemson education or the way your degree is percieved in the "real world"

4. Not that big of a deal, especially if FSU, GT, VT go with us

5. ACC is dying on the vine

6. Read Big 12 grant of rights

Re: Wake up man ...

May 22, 2012, 4:25 PM

1. The money is only a few million a year. Do you understand the size of the budget a school like Clemson operates on? It is chump change really.

2. The big 4 conferences aren't pulling out of the NCAA. Doing so would cause them to lose their tax exempt status which would cripple the athletic departments immediately.

wrong .....

May 22, 2012, 4:30 PM

the money will be signifigantly more. I don't see how not being in NCAA would effect tax exempt status, makes no sense.

Re: wrong .....

May 22, 2012, 4:34 PM

The NCAA is a tax exempt organization. This tax exempt status is necessary for AD's to avoid going deep into the red. By leaving the NCAA, the programs will clearly lose this status. It's quite simple really.

not really, an AD is in fact a non-profit.***

May 22, 2012, 4:41 PM

Re: not really, an AD is in fact a non-profit.***

May 22, 2012, 4:42 PM

No it's not.

now you just do not know what you are talking about

May 22, 2012, 4:53 PM

Get your facts straight first, then you may distort them as you please.

Right now, it's not that much more***

May 22, 2012, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Wake up man ... ]

30 million is way more than 17 million .... just sayin***

May 22, 2012, 4:31 PM

30 million, minus the buyout, minus the extra few million

May 22, 2012, 4:32 PM

of travel to bumfuck nowhere for games.

travel costs estimated at most 1.2 mil more per year.. like

May 22, 2012, 4:35 PM

he said, chump change. Buyout would be reduced and some paid and financed, not a big deal

I'd like to see the link for the estimates***

that was from WVU .. dont have a link***

May 22, 2012, 4:38 PM

Re: travel costs estimated at most 1.2 mil more per year.. like

May 22, 2012, 4:38 PM [ in reply to travel costs estimated at most 1.2 mil more per year.. like ]

With third tier rights Clemson gets far over 17 million a year. Plus the Big XII contract is not signed yet, it's purely speculation.

Also, there is no chance that VT goes to the Big XII since they aren't leaving Virginia.

LOL ... VT will either be in B12 or SEC .. no politician is

May 22, 2012, 4:39 PM

going to stop them

Re: LOL ... VT will either be in B12 or SEC .. no politician is

May 22, 2012, 4:41 PM

That's just not true. Are you familiar with what went on in Richmond when UVA forced the ACC to take VT? You clearly have no knowledge of Virginia politics.

I know what went down with that.. different situation, that

May 22, 2012, 4:45 PM

was to help VT, not to keep those schools together

When are you expecting to complete English 101, since

academics are so important?

Being from Southern Pines, I would've thought you'd enjoy

being able to drive less than 5 hours and attend 8 ACC venues.

I have enjoyed that and have been to all 8

May 22, 2012, 4:28 PM

multiple times (and many longer trips too), but that is not what is in Clemson's best interest. I enjoy going to FSU and VT also, but after they leave and get replaced with Syracuse and Pitt, it won't be the same.

I don't like the ACC. I have never liked the ACC. I will never like the ACC. I will travel farther if necessary.

Stop being a smartazz, Neal.

May 22, 2012, 5:33 PM [ in reply to When are you expecting to complete English 101, since ]

Give him a chance to get out of Jr High first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The rules didn't exclude Boise State and similar teams yet..

when left to the "experts" to decide, a 1 or 2 loss SEC team was seen as a better option than an undefeated Boise team b/c of SOS.

If you think the current ACC teams can provide enough SOS for us, then you aren't capable of understanding why the ACC is toast.

You realize that if Clemson went undefeated last year, we

May 22, 2012, 4:21 PM

would've been in the BCS Championship game right?

Re: You realize that if Clemson went undefeated last year, we

only because there was only one other undefeated team. That happens rarely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It does not happen rarely as you seem to presume.

May 22, 2012, 4:29 PM

2011: 1 undefeated
2010: 3 undefeated (2 power conference)
2009: 5 undefeated (3 power conference)
2008: 2 undefeated (no power conference)
2007: 1 undefeated (no power conference)
2006: 2 undefeated (1 power conference)
2005: 2 undefeated
2004: 5 undefeated (3 power conference)
2003: 1 undefeated
2002: 2 undefeated

Under every single one of these years, if Clemson was undefeated, we'd be in the final 4 for the play-off, not to mention in most of those we'd be in the BCS national championship in its current form. You're just wrong.

Re: It does not happen rarely as you seem to presume.

Are you really kidding your self into thinking that an undefeated Clemson in the ACC goes to a 4 gamer over a 1 loss LSU/Bama/Arky/UF/UGA/Auburn or almost any other team in the SEC even the coots?????

No way that happens, especially if the ACC loses FSU and VT. And you're bat #### crazy if you really think so.

You're right, every SEC team will have 1 loss going

into the final week!

Re: You're right, every SEC team will have 1 loss going

May 22, 2012, 5:05 PM

/facepalm... it doesnt take "every team having one loss just a couple.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The 4-team playoff, so far if Clemson went undefeated, we

May 22, 2012, 5:08 PM

would've been in it every single listed year. There won't be 4 1-loss SEC teams that will jump us.

Re: The 4-team playoff, so far if Clemson went undefeated, we

May 22, 2012, 5:16 PM

Krzy, you might just be crazy.

Clemson may not have even been there last year. Bama only dropped a couple spots. May have stayed ahead Clemson. Sure Clemson would have gotten a spot in a 4 gamer, I'll give you that. But not most seasons.

All of those 2 undefeateds become 3 if Clemson is undefeated, and Clemson (without an FSU win and def without a win over a good VT in the 2 year window) get's shafted over a 1 loss SEC or even Big12 team with FSU.

Okay, apparently I really need to list this out for you

May 22, 2012, 8:14 PM

to understand...

My argument is the 4-man tournament, which is what we're moving to in the BCS, and the ACC in its current configuration.

2011:
1 LSU 13-0
2 Alabama 11-1
3 Oklahoma State 11-1
4 Stanford 11-1

An undefeated Clemson team would've been #2 in these rankings, at the very least above Stanford for #4.

2010:
1 Auburn 13-0
2 Oregon 12-0
3 TCU 12-0
4 Stanford 11-1

An undefeated Clemson team would've been #3

2009:
1 Alabama 13-0
2 Texas 13-0
3 Cincinnati 12-0
4 TCU 12-0

An undefeated Clemson team would've been #3

2008:
1 Alabama 12-0
2 Oklahoma 11-1
3 Texas 11-1
4 Florida 11-1

An undefeated Clemson team would've been #1 (as we would've beaten Alabama)

2007:
1 Ohio State 11-1
2 LSU 11-2
3 Virginia Tech 11-2
4 Oklahoma 11-2

An undefeated Clemson team would've been #1, a 1 loss Clemson team would've been in the top 4.

I just don't see how you guys think I'm crazy, this isn't rocket science.

May 22, 2012, 5:18 PM [ in reply to The 4-team playoff, so far if Clemson went undefeated, we ]

so its okay for other conferences to have room for error while Clemson has none?

null

May 22, 2012, 5:29 PM

Yep in other words, Krzy wants us to be like boise either 12-0 to have an outside shot....or reduced to the meineke belk jiffy lube bowl.....we certainly need the lube cause we're getting screwed here.

No, a 1-loss Clemson team will be in the mix

May 22, 2012, 8:15 PM

everytime. Not to mention, our fall back is the orange bowl.

Re: It does not happen rarely as you seem to presume.

May 22, 2012, 4:32 PM [ in reply to It does not happen rarely as you seem to presume. ]

and besides, of those years only 3 had 1 undefeated team, and you prove my point.

Alright, I realize you're slightly an idiot, but there are 5

May 22, 2012, 4:34 PM

years in there with 1 or fewer undefeated team from a major conference, that's 50%.

Re: Alright, I realize you're slightly an idiot, but there are 5

May 22, 2012, 5:05 PM

ah name calling that is how you win an argument.

null

You must've missed his meltdown a few months ago.

May 22, 2012, 5:08 PM

Even at the 3 listed, 30% is "rarely".

Re: You must've missed his meltdown a few months ago.

May 22, 2012, 5:17 PM

so that makes it okay.... have a nice day.

null

Re: The rules didn't exclude Boise State and similar teams yet..

May 22, 2012, 4:34 PM [ in reply to The rules didn't exclude Boise State and similar teams yet.. ]

Point just for your name. That is some funny stuff right there.

Yawn

May 22, 2012, 4:21 PM

Totally agree and made many of the same points last week.

I believe the prospect of a move has caused a lot of irrational exuberance among our fanbase. I would be intrigued by a possible move to the SEC(not gonna happen) because in many ways it makes so much sense... But the Big 12? No thanks. Two years of traveling to Ames and Waco would leave us longing for the days where we could load up the car and head to Atlanta, Winston, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill.

I do think the idea could be entertained for a minute if FSU, Ga Tech, and Va Tech are looking to make the move and we're not the lone ranger, but I'd hate for Clemson to be the one to force the issue. The ACC isn't perfect but it makes tons more sense than the Big 12.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly, the Big 10 would be better than the Big XII.

SEC >>> Big 10 > Big XII

>>>>>>>>ACC and when FSU and others leave,

May 22, 2012, 4:52 PM

it would be more like >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ACC

Sweet! I earned a light blue subject line!***

That was well done. I concur that my argument is only

May 22, 2012, 4:55 PM

valid if the ACC maintains its current members. If FSU leaves anyway, then everything I've said in this thread is null & void.

Gotcha... I was wondering... lol***

May 22, 2012, 4:56 PM

Re: That was well done. I concur that my argument is only

May 22, 2012, 5:04 PM [ in reply to That was well done. I concur that my argument is only ]

Then everything you said is null and void because it is going to happen.

I went to Clemson and I don't care.

Academics has nothing to do with athletics.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You;re totally wrong on several levels

First,
//3. Academics matter. I know a lot of you who didn't go to Clemson don't care but as a student I would much rather be associated with the best academic conference rather than the worst one. Plus, the faculty and students at ACC schools have research agreements, etc.//

This is an ATHLETIC conference. Academes can do ### they want. Plus, when UNC is exposed for having their "student" athletes cheat in African-American studies, it really shows the fraud that they are.

Two, UF and Usuc are raking inthe dough well beyond what we are. The only reason is the SEC. Go 10 years where our feathered friends bring in 5M or so more a year and the facilities and coaches salaries will reflect that.

We must recruit against the SEC, therefore we must play on a big stage.

Fly to Texas. UT and OU know football and would be good experiences.

Plus, it's not just about who's better on the field right now. The BigXII had the highest rated conf in 2011, above the SEC. But it's about fanbase. The ACC has no fanbase, thus we get crappy bowls and crappy TV revenue.

We would no longer have to go to Chapel Hill in basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Going to the Big XII would be A GREAT MOVE FOR CLEMSON.***

May 22, 2012, 4:27 PM

May 22, 2012, 4:29 PM

1. When all said and done if the addition of us FSU, VT and Miami. The big 12 contract would be huge and probably be more than a minimal increase. Plus if we stayed and the ACC lost schools do you not think ESPN has clauses in the contract that it could renegotiate it down. It has been said the big 12 might front half of the buyout. If us and the others left, that would put us at 5 east coast schools and the travel arguement goes away.

2. Have you not seen the writing on the wall that the super conferences might breakaway from the NCAA all togther. You are taking away the possibility of maybe a 1 loss clemson team competing for title, that would never happen if we stayed in ACC. It would be undefeated or bust.

3. What the hell does a conference for ATHLETICS have to do with academics. Your ATHLETIC conference has nothing to do with the operations on the academic side of things. The courses and majors and standards of a Clemson education would remain the same. I certainly feel that other schools in the Big 12 would have similar joint research opportunities.

4. Again if all of this happens you would have 4 schools within 500 miles and miami not being mush further, plus half of these games every year would be home games. As it stands now we have to travel to syracuse, BC, Miami, Maryland, and Pitt.

5. Slight, are you out of your mind? Have you seen the conference standings the last few yrs? Oklahoma Texas, okl st (they did pretty good the past few yrs so they are more than ok), texas tech, WVU, the ACC isnt even close. Also, they are ahead of us the last 3 yrs in basketball.

6. Stable, if the ACC was so stable no one would be even considering leaving.

1) it is not a "fairly small difference"

2) Playoff is coming whether you like it or not.

3) Conference academics mean squat unless you are Ivy league. I am a Clemson graduate btw.

4) If we stay in the ACC we are adding teams just as far away. I already will be flying to over half of the schools in the ACC.

5)just lol...

6) Much of the unequal rev sharing disappeared when the conference nearly fell apart.

I hope you put more effort into your school work.

null

May 22, 2012, 4:36 PM

Everyone realizes that Miami was the premier program of the 80's and FSU was the program of the 90's right? College football is cyclical. The SEC is not destined to rule for eternity as you all believe.

Serious question re: academics

May 22, 2012, 4:48 PM

What are some examples of research agreements, etc., that have been made between us and other ACC schools solely (or partially) because we are a fellow ACC school?

I'm not implying that it doesn't happen, because I'm sure it has at some point. As an example, when I was a student, we had research contacts with NCSU and GT, but we also had dealings with Auburn, and they're obviously not in the ACC. It all boiled down to what people at what schools were specializing in what areas, and whether they wanted to pool resources.

I just don't understand the link, if any, between conference affiliation and academic partnership or, for that matter, collective academic reputation.

Re: Serious question re: academics

May 22, 2012, 4:59 PM

http://www.theacc.com/ot/acciac.html

Thanks - point for you.***

May 22, 2012, 5:07 PM

HAHHA You listed Study Abroad programs

May 23, 2012, 3:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Serious question re: academics ]

Yeah and my Trip to Spain was def all about academics

"I" listed?***

May 23, 2012, 10:26 AM

"ACC is stable"??? LMAO...it's about to implode***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

May 22, 2012, 5:03 PM

1. The difference between the TV contracts of the ACC and Big 12 will NOT be fairly small. It's been estimated to be at least $10 million/year per school more. That's money Clemson needs for coaches salaries and facilities upgrades. We're at a huge financial disadvantage to rival SC, and it's only going to get worse with the poor ACC TV contract.

2. You're right that the playoff probably won't be limited to 4 conferences, but it might as well be. If you're not in one of the Big 4 conferences you're going to have a hard time getting the recruits and money you need to have a team that can go undefeated, and you'd have to to be undefeated to have even a slim chance of being picked as one of the top 4. See #1.

3. The academics of an *athletic* conference don't matter. If they did why haven't good schools like Florida and Georgia been begging the ACC to save them from SEC academics? Why did Texas A&M join the SEC? I have a Clemson degree, so I do care about academics. The truth is being in a top athletic conference and having success on the football field *helps* Clemson's academics. Every Clemson football game on TV is like a 3 hour commercial for Clemson University, especially for out of state students who might not be as familiar with the school as those from SC.

4. Keep in mind that the ACC now has BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and Miami that are about as far away as the Big 12 schools, and Clemson has more in common with the Big 12 culturally than with northeastern programs.

5. If the Big 12 only has a slight advantage over ACC in football, why is the ACC TV contract so much worse than the Big 12 TV contract?

6. The Big 12 doesn't have a Texas homer in charge of the conference. The revenue is shared equally in the Big 12 now, other than Tier 3 rights which each school gets to keep and sell as they wish.

May 22, 2012, 5:14 PM

some of what U say is true.. I also do not want to loose UNCV,NCSU,Wake, Mary BUT
badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2012, 5:28 PM

The school educates you. Not a ### conference name. That is really a stupid argument.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a student

May 22, 2012, 5:31 PM

and I didn't go Clemson because we were in the same ATHLETIC conference as UNC, Duke, GT, etc. If we move it wont have any affect on our degreee

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

AGREED!

May 23, 2012, 12:12 PM

It is hilarious that people actually think Clemson is going to the Big 12. I'm a student as well, and I take pride in the fact that we are associated with great academic institutions all on the east coast. I believe that association has attracted some of the best students from around the country and helped Clemson climb the academic rankings. Other than that, people would be crying to get back to the ACC when they have to deal with the Longhorn Network and being Texas' and Oklahoma's little #####. GO TIGERS!

Replies: 99
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic